pixeltracker

Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?- Page 5

Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?

Jarethan
#100Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/28/23 at 1:53pm

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "

Or, to put it another way, everyone that is close to her in this show before they, too, reach a point of no return with her had to like her, or something about her, to be willing to put up with everything that is Rose.Gypsyis not Mommie Dearest Meets Stockholm Syndrome: A Study in Vaudeville.​​ If you're playing Rose a hair away from a "dance mom" from the word go, unsympathetically, the show's dramatic base will crumble, even if your voice rivals Merman's."

Really good observation.  Although a lot of people dissed her, one of the reasons I liked BP better than PL was that BP did not start out in high gear, but evolved as she got more desperate.  I think Angela Lansbury's performance is the single greatest performance I have seen in the theatre...interestingly enough. her approach was desperation rather than monster, and the warmth was always there, just overridden by the desperation.  I know Tyne Daly's performance was super-acclaimed, but I thought the monster was there from the first scene.  She acted the hell out of the role, but I thought she was too shrill from the beginning.

expectingtheworst
#101Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/28/23 at 9:37pm

It was supposed to be Audra - Rudin was working on it prior to the shutdown.

I know sounds crazy if you are thinking like the Shuffle Along drama but it was in the works.

starlightlocamotion
#102Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 1/30/23 at 4:02pm

My vote is for HEATHER HEADLEY.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#103Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 2/1/23 at 4:10pm

I don't know if she can sing (could Tyne?) but my vote this time around would be for Winona Ryder. She has made an incredible comeback over the past few years, and could sell tickets.  If not 'Gypsy', then possibly a revival of  'Mame'. 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#104Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/10/23 at 10:08pm

TaffyDavenport: I'm more curious to hear who'll be playing the role at Goodspeed starting in April.

Judy McLane as Rose.  Talia Suskauer as Louise.

Link

Updated On: 3/10/23 at 10:08 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#105Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/10/23 at 10:45pm

Probably one of my favorite shows but not sure anyone can beat LuPone. She’s just masterful. Others would be great sure any production would top that as far as storytelling. I

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#106Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/10/23 at 11:49pm

Lea Michele one day. She has incredible pipes and could act the hell out of it.

Laurapattifan Profile Photo
Laurapattifan
#107Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/11/23 at 12:21am

RippedMan said: "Probably one of my favorite shows but not sure anyone can beat LuPone. She’s just masterful. Others would be great sure any production would top that as far as storytelling. I

“No matter how long you live you’ll never see a more exciting production” - Terry Teachout 

Anthony Sunday
#108Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/11/23 at 3:00am

I'd like to see someone without a great deal of in-your-face star power take the role. As exhilarating as Lupone-esque Roses can be, you start to wonder why they never pursued stardom themselves.

Ke3
#109Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/11/23 at 12:58pm

Anthony Sunday said: "I'd like to see someone without a great deal of in-your-face star power take the role. As exhilarating as Lupone-esque Roses can be, you start to wonder why they never pursued stardom themselves."

the script tells you exactly why

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#110Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/11/23 at 1:05pm

I believe the point they're making, Ke3, is that with LuPone-style Roses, you don't believe that the stated reason in the script would have stopped them. If I'm correct about that thinking, then I kind of agree, to a point. I don't think the role doesn't need star power, but it hearkens back to what I said earlier in the thread -- if you're a steamroller in this part, it will leave the audience wondering why you didn't just steamroll over all the other obstacles.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
binau Profile Photo
binau
#112Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/24/23 at 12:24pm

I used to think the time had passed for Donna. However, I was so surprised and taken with how strong Donna Murphy's voice sounded in 'Dear World', and the clip of her 'Some People' she just posted on instagram, that I can't help but re-open the conversation that I think it should be Donna Murphy who performs the role next, before people like Audra or Sutton etc. Obviously, no one is going to mount a new revival around Donna on Broadway cold but I wonder if someone would ever consider mounting a cheap off-broadway production in a prestigious house for a couple of months and seeing what happens. I kind of feel Lonny Price should direct since he missed out on directing Patti in Gypsy on Broadway (and Sweeney!), which I believe was upsetting for him (and I think he is the one that directed Donna's 'Some People'Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?. OR AT LEAST just doing a concert for a few nights. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 3/24/23 at 12:24 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#113Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/24/23 at 1:00pm

Seeing "Dear World" last week, I can't get the idea of Andrea Burns as Rose out of my head. 

Claudia Draper
#114Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/24/23 at 3:32pm

BARBRA - at 81 can still pull it off.  heartHere she is boys.. Great Grandma ROSE

Updated On: 3/24/23 at 03:32 PM

fbueller
#115Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/24/23 at 3:36pm

It’s rumored to be Kristin Chenoweth!

Kristin has mentioned it.

Updated On: 3/24/23 at 03:36 PM

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#116Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/24/23 at 3:53pm

well if Kristin mentioned it, it will definitely happen!  

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#117Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/24/23 at 5:02pm

It should be the One and Only Audra McDonald! 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#118Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/24/23 at 5:39pm

It will be the one and only Catherine Zeta Jones. 

OhHiii
#119Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/24/23 at 5:49pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Sheryl Lee Ralph. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#120Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/24/23 at 6:29pm

Robbie2 said: "It should be the One and Only Audra McDonald!"

This has always felt the most likely.

bwayobsessed
#121Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/24/23 at 10:06pm

binau said: "I used to think the time had passed for Donna. However, I was so surprised and taken with how strong Donna Murphy's voice sounded in 'Dear World', and the clip of her 'Some People' she just posted on instagram, that I can't help but re-open the conversation that I think it should be Donna Murphy who performs the role next, before people like Audra or Sutton etc. Obviously, no one is going to mount a new revival around Donna on Broadway cold but I wonder if someone would ever consider mounting a cheap off-broadway production in a prestigious house for a couple of months and seeing what happens. I kind of feel Lonny Price should direct since he missed out on directing Patti in Gypsy on Broadway (and Sweeney!), which I believe was upsetting for him (and I think he is the one that directed Donna's 'Some People'Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?. OR AT LEAST just doing a concert for a few nights.

"

I still want Donna for Lovett but I’m down for Rose. 

NoItAll
#122Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/24/23 at 11:13pm

At the age of 36, Lea Michele is currently portraying, to enormous critical acclaim, a preternaturally ambitious women who ages from about 20 to 35 during the course of the show. In a few short years, she will portray a preternaturally ambitious woman who ages from about 30 to 45 during the course of the show. She will be greater in the role than women who have technically superior voices, such as Audra, for the same reason that Callas was “greater” than Tebaldi. You heard it here first.

Ke3
#123Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/25/23 at 8:01pm

David10086 said: "It will be the one and only Catherine Zeta Jones."

You're joking, but if we're talking about Hollywood names who can't really sing it, she'd be at the top of my list. I think there's just something interesting about a Rose who was a hoofer. 

TheOnlyOne2
#124Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
Posted: 3/25/23 at 11:08pm

Some of these names are way too precious for Rose. Audra? Kristen? Donna? I love those women to bits, but they are not gritty enough, I'm sorry. Maybe Lea in 30 years if she let's out the demon that she's had to lock away for time being...

CZJ is someone I could see in the role. She had the boozy voice and the acting chops. Could she keep the voice up for a shoe that demanding 8 times a week?

Sheryl would be a great choice. My concern would also be her ability to do such a demanding show 8 times a week. Maybe if she had an alternate like Bette? It's been 20 years since she's done a broadway show, and that did not require the physical fitness this role does. If she could do it though I'd certainly go multiple times.

I feel like the only women I can think of are a little to late to play Rose. When I think of that rough voice she should have I can't call up many now. Debra Monk would have been great laugh.

Videos