pixeltracker

Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?

Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/24/23 at 7:04pm

With or without Ruthie? I wouldn't think she'd completely bail on Sweeney Todd this quickly — unless, of course, she's on a shorter contract. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#3Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/24/23 at 7:05pm

OMG!!! Please let it be true! I don't know if I can deal with City Center teasing us with emoji clues again!!!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/24/23 at 7:26pm

Feel like there's so many revivals on the schedule for this current season.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/24/23 at 7:30pm

Everyone is "looking for a house."

Who is the commercial producer behind this?

It would be quite a feat to have two Guettel musicals flop within one season.

KevinKlawitter
#6Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/24/23 at 7:32pm

It'd be a helluva thing if both Piazza and Days of Wine and Roses played in the same season.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#7Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/24/23 at 9:45pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Everyone is "looking for a house."

Who is the commercial producer behind this?
"

I’m curious about this too, any SEC filings out there that can give us a hint?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#8Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/24/23 at 9:52pm

Plenty of houses but I’m not sure this quite has the steam that Into the Woods and Parade had going into their commercial runs. But maybe if it opens in March after her Sweeney contract? But both of those revivals had bigger names so not sure this would ever catch on. Was her performance enough to warrant a possible Tony win?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#9Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/24/23 at 10:32pm

Ruthie's performance was extraordinary. She would be a major Tony contender if this transferred. Ruthie vs Kelli in Wine and Roses would be an insane competition. 

I really hope this transfer. What Ruthie did with "The Beauty Is" reprise and "Fable" was miraculous. 

Updated On: 7/24/23 at 10:32 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#10Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/24/23 at 10:52pm

ljay889 said: "Ruthie's performance was extraordinary. She would be a major Tony contender if this transferred. Ruthie vs Kelli in Wine and Roses would be an insane competition.

I really hope this transfer. What Ruthie did with "The Beauty Is" reprise and "Fable" was miraculous.
"

"The Beauty Is-Reprise" just broke me.  This production really can't transfer without her.  JMO

Just give the world Love.

OMG U Guyz
#11Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/24/23 at 11:24pm

KevinKlawitter said: "It'd be a helluva thing if bothPiazzaandDays of Wine and Rosesplayed in the same season."

Kelli is committed to The Hours at The Met in May so she wouldn’t be available during Tony voting.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#12Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/25/23 at 1:04am

I'm not sure why Kelli signed on to The Hours for 2024 when Days of Wine and Roses being transferred to Broadway is still a possibility. But it's only eight performances in May so it's not impossible for her to do both.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/25/23 at 1:10am

OMG U Guyz said: "Kelli is committed to The Hours at The Met in May so she wouldn’t be available during Tony voting."

There’s no guarantee DAYS would still be running by May, and if the show plans to open before the end of 2023, voters would have ample time to see the show before May. And at worst she’d probably miss half her May performances of DAYS.

(side note, looks like Elena Shaddow filled in for her during her outs at the Atlantic — as she did during Bridges)

OMG U Guyz
#14Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/25/23 at 1:41am

Soaring29 said: "I'm not sure why Kelli signed on to The Hours for 2024 when Days of Wine and Roses being transferred to Broadway is still a possibility. But it's only eight performances in May so it's not impossible for her to do both."

Operas are booked at least 2 years in advance I’m not sure how long she’s been attached wine and roses but she would’ve had to commit to April/May 2024 winter 2021/spring 2022. Plus she sells tickets for the Met. Singers replace singers all the time in opera but she’s been in all the press materials. 

Toll357
#15Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/25/23 at 2:28am

They are running The Hours again at The Met? 

JasonC3
#16Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/25/23 at 8:07am

Toll357 said: "They are running The Hours again at The Met?"

https://www.metopera.org/season/2023-24-season/the-hours/

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#17Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/25/23 at 9:10am

City Center should remount it for 6 weeks at City Center. 

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#18Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/25/23 at 9:26am

UWS10023 said: "City Center should remount it for 6 weeks at City Center."

This would make me very happy! 

chrishuyen
#19Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/25/23 at 6:39pm

I had assumed Sweeney Todd would close by January, or whenever Josh Groban's contract was up (like Hugh Jackman and Music Man), which would leave Ruthie free.  I'd love to see this again now that I know the show better, so I'm definitely rooting for it!

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#20Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/26/23 at 9:54am

EDSOSLO858 said: "With or without Ruthie? I wouldn't think she'd completely bail onSweeney Toddthis quickly — unless, of course, she's on a shorter contract."

She would have a contractual out for a Bway lead role.

That said, this seems like quite the longshot for revival. But perhaps there are investors that really love Guettel and want both this and WINE AND ROSES on Bway. Both feel like tough sells.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#21Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/26/23 at 10:05am

I had heard that Days might have a niche move, more like the Gyllenhaal Sunday in the Park. But "hearing" is rather ridiculous. We "hear" a lot that's sourced in cyberspace. I would think Piazza would be a hard-ish sell, simply because the show isn't that old, the prior production only ran a year plus.  And wasn't there talk of the Rene Fleming iteration that never worked out? Covid a factor, but still. I saw Piazza at City Center, and found it transporting, its second act something that can't be fully explained: Miles pulled the audience forward to listen with a heartstopping immediacy I've never experienced in 50 years of theatergoing. But does that translate into Broadway 8 times a week? It's an open question, the ravishing Encores! revival's brilliance not in question.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#22Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/26/23 at 10:39am

This feels like the type of show where they are looking for people who will bring this to Broadway because it's "important" and not because they actually think it'll make any money. 

JasonC3
#23Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/26/23 at 10:53am

I don't know how well it would do now, but the original production ran for around 500 performances which for this style of show is nothing to sneeze at.  The LCT membership base certainly helped with that.

Owen22
#24Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/26/23 at 10:57am

jkcohen626 said: "This feels like the type of show where they are looking for people who will bring this to Broadway because it's "important" and not because they actually think it'll make any money."

Does this really happen? Are there Broadway producers that can afford to knowingly lose money that way?  They have to believe it will catch on with the public, that it will win awards that help the box office, etc.

I know there are Brit producers who do this (Sonia Friedman comes to mind) but it is so much less expensive to transfer things to the West End than it is here.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#25Encores’ PIAZZA Transfering To Broadway?
Posted: 7/26/23 at 11:29am

Scott Rudin regularly did it. It highly burnished his stature as a producer. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Videos