News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread- Page 12

2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2752019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 10:03am

And on a lighter note, designer Celestino Couture created Tony Award winner Billy Porter’s look by recycling the KINKY BOOTS show curtain.  Billy mentioned this a few minutes ago on LIVE WITH KELLY & RYAN.

2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#2762019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 10:06am

I wasn't too interested in Ain't too Proud to Beg but the performance really drew me in and I'm listening to it right now and if it tours, I'll definitely buy a ticket. My non theater going mother was watching and was really interested in it too. That was my big surprise of the night!

I liked the Oklahoma performance but am not 100% sold on the modernizing of it. 

The King Kong puppet did look really cool in action, I didn't expect that.

I would have loved to have seen more of the play since they seemed far more intersting than the musicals this year.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2772019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 10:19am

raddersons said: "dramamama611 said: "Isnt that illegal? I thought there HAD to be equal access."

ADA laws only require ADA compliant spaces for new construction or gut renovations. Radio City's been around much longer than ADA has existed.
"

Is it really GUT renovations?  I've gone through building reno's before and at that time EVERYTHING needed to come up to code.

BUT, more importantly, the Tonys build the temporary staging it's not a permanent structure - I'd have thought (especially KNOWING there was a strong liklihoood of OK winning at least Revival, yet alone her personal win) they would have figure it out.  A shame, really.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2782019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 10:42am

On a different note: I was reading some reviews of the Tony Awards (mostly agreed with those of us that were less than impressed) when I saw this from Mike Hale of the NYTimes:

"The most inspirational performance was probably the scene from an unnominated musical, “Choir Boy,” and along with the playwright Tarell Alvin McCraney’s sharp introduction, it could have drawn audiences to the show."

Choir Boy certainly WAS unnominated (which doesn't seem to actually BE a word) as a MUSICAL, because it was nominated as a PLAY (with music).  Shouldn't one that reviews these sort of things actually know a little about what they are critiquing?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

theatreguy12
#2792019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 10:47am

Taking on that role of the TV audience member who might use a performance to sway me one way or another on a show, here goes.

The Prom was the only nominated show I saw when I was in NY in December, instead choosing to see Once on This Island and The Band's Visit as the other two that I had time for.  I actually liked Prom, and would have been interested in seeing it after that performance last night (had I NOT seen it yet).

TCS was running when I was in the city, but I took a pass.  It wasn't nominated anyway.  And after seeing the performance last night, I'm not regretting not seeing it, nor would I see it on tour if and when it hits LA to be honest.

Hadestown? Not enamored by the performance, but I want to see it.  If I get there this summer it is at the top of the list.

Beetlejuice and Tootsie....after the performances last night I'd be more inclined to see Beetlejuice than Tootsie. When it's yet another transfer from movie to Broadway, it really has to wow me.  Neither really did that, but I at least found the Beetlejuice number kind of interesting.  Tootsie, across the board, a total yawner.  From the song to the lead performer. No interest whatsoever in that one.

ATP....before the Tonys started I was kind of wishing I had seen it in LA before it went to Broadway when I saw it was nominated.  But after seeing the performance, just not all that interesting.  

Based on performances this is how I would have ranked them by interest level after seeing them on the Tonys:   The Prom, Beetlejuice, Hadestown, Ain't Too Proud............................Tootsie.

Of the 4 I haven't seen (based on interest):  Hadestown, Beetlejuice and Ain't Too Proud (tie)..........Tootsie.

RWPrincess
#2802019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 10:48am

Overall I thought it was a good broadcast and I will echo some of the other comments in that I'm grateful this is still on network tv. The Daytime Emmys have been demoted to streaming only for several years now and it's not the same as watching a tv broadcast. 

No surprises from the winners except maybe scenic design of a musical 

I was expecting more comedy and Broadway skits from James Corden especially since he was also Executive Producer. It makes me think someone higher up at CBS intervened.

In terms of the performances:

ATP: Very good and will likely sell tickets. If I hadn't already seen this, I would have bought a ticket.

The Prom: Performance was terrific but still not enough for me to see it. I just can't get into the music for some reason.

Tootsie: It made me want to see it again and I will

Hadestown: Not the number I would have picked. I think they should have gone with the opening number as it also explains the show a bit

Beetlejuice: Having Catherine O'Hara there on top of the great performance should help them a lot. I can see how fans of the movie would want to buy tickets for this if they haven't already.

Choir Boy: Sorry I missed this. I waited too long to buy a ticket and then it was just too late.

Oklahoma: Great performance but I'm still a maybe on this one 

KMK: Great performance but am aware of the feedback here about the rest of the show. Though I am very tempted to buy a ticket.

Cher Show: Really weird mashup. But I do think Stephanie winning will have a larger impact than that performance did. I'm actually tempted to see this again.

BMC: I enjoyed the spoof but really wanted to see George perform 

Kong: That was very well done and I'm tempted to see it for the puppet

Sad that Pretty Woman wasn't included at all. I still think Samantha Barks should have been nominated.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2812019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 10:50am

RWPrincess said: "Beetlejuice: Having Catherine O'Hara there on top of the great performance should help them a lot. I can see how fans of the movie would want to buy tickets for this if they haven't already."

I hadn't been too excited about Beetlejuice after a good friend's meh review of their out-of-town tryout, but I did buy two tickets for Wednesday evening after seeing their performance last night. (Granted, I did buy them on TDF, so I wasn't willing to risk TOO much for it.)

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Olivia11
#2822019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:16am

Generally speaking, most Building built before ADA are not compliant. Actually most buildings are not 100% compliant unless they are brand new, because the code adapts and changes regularly. The same can be said for actual building codes. When you talk about a building built in 1990, it was built to 1990 codes, not 2019 codes. Codes are always changing.

That being said, most jurisdiction require 20% of the value of upgrades/renovations/construction be allocated to ADA upgrades, at the time building permits are issued. So, if I am doing a $100,000 upgrade, I will be required to do an additional $20,000 in ADA upgrades, usually chosen by the issuing agency.

To the poster that wrote a long post, but couldn’t take the time to look up Ali Stroker’s name, it wasn’t all that cool to refer to the Tony Winner as “that girl from Oklahoma”.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#2832019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:24am

I’m glad my friend and I already have our tickets to see Hadestown in September. Do you think that in addition to tickets becoming harder to get that they’ll jack up the prices again? It’s hard to believe they could increase them again after they already did after the positive reviews came out, but I suppose it is possible.

BSKY
#2842019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:25am

Why is it that such big awards, specifically, “Best Book for a musical” and “choreography” aren’t broadcast live?! I get that there’s only so much time in the broadcast, but those are big awards and I would have liked to have seen their speeches in full. Has this always been the case? Or maybe it was broadcast differently on the west coast re-air? The Oscars is able to squeeze in best animated short, I think the Tony’s find time for “best orchestration”.  There was so much filler in that show, give some of that time to the people who worked hard for it.  

Updated On: 6/10/19 at 11:25 AM

SporkGoddess
#2852019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:31am

The Oscars actually wanted to make some of the awards happen outside of the broadcast but a lot of people threw a huge fit about it so they changed their mind. IIRC cinematography was one award that wasn't going to be broadcast, and that one in particular upset a lot of people. I think costuming was another one.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2862019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:32am

BSKY said: "Why is it that such big awards, specifically, “Best Book for a musical” and “choreography” aren’t broadcast live?! I get that there’s only so much time in the broadcast, but those are big awards and I would have liked to have seen their speeches in full. Has this always been the case? Or maybe it was broadcast differently on the west coast re-air? The Oscars is able to squeeze in best animated short, I think they can find time for “best orchestration”."

I've only been following the Tonys for about 8 or 9 years now, so I can't speak to whether they've ALWAYS done this. But they've done it for as long as I can remember. On both the West Coast AND the East Coast. It's not always the same categories though - last year Best Book was put on the air (mainly because they thought Tina Fey might win, but then she didn't, which I find hilarious). 

The Oscars were going to follow the Tonys' lead this year by putting some categories off the air to shorten the broadcast, but then everyone freaked out at the Oscars and they backed down. In other words, there was mass outrage at the Oscars for even SUGGESTING doing something that the Tonys have been consistently doing for years. I guess there just isn't enough mainstream attention on the Tonys to get them to change their ways. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#2872019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:37am

Well, the idea of a cis-man passing as a woman in order to encroach on women's spaces is literally the basis of the bathroom bill, horrible TERFist beliefs, and trans discrimination, so it's very much reflexive then that even without mentioning trans people Tootsie accidentally aligns with transphobic bull****.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the show?  I would get that if the protagonist was presented as some sort of hero, but he's not.  The show constantly reminds us (and ultimately the lead character) that what he's doing is wrong.  There's even a whole song about it sung by the character who consistently points it out the entire show.

My big hate-on for Tootsie is the idea of a man putting on a dress becoming the best woman in his field by default. 

That's not what happens.  It's not "by default".  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

BSKY
#2882019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:53am

JBroadway said: "BSKY said: "Why is it that such big awards, specifically, “Best Book for a musical” and “choreography” aren’t broadcast live?! I get that there’s only so much time in the broadcast, but those are big awards and I would have liked to have seen their speeches in full. Has this always been the case? Or maybe it was broadcast differently on the west coast re-air? The Oscars is able to squeeze in best animated short, I think they can find time for “best orchestration”."

I've only been following the Tonys for about 8 or 9 years now, so I can't speak to whether they've ALWAYS done this. But they've done it for as long as I can remember. On both the West Coast AND the East Coast. It's not always the same categories though - last year Best Book was put on the air (mainly because they thought Tina Fey might win, but then she didn't, which I find hilarious).

The Oscars weregoing to follow the Tonys' lead this year by putting some categories off the air to shorten the broadcast, but then everyone freaked out at the Oscars and they backed down. In other words, there was mass outrage at the Oscars for even SUGGESTING doing something that the Tonys have been consistently doing for years. I guess there just isn't enoughmainstream attention on the Tonys to get them to change their ways.
"

That’s a such bummer, but makes sense.  Thanks for the info.  I’m not new to being a Broadway fan by any means, but certainly not in “the know” either.  I would assume I’m probably the general TV audience for the award, and I would have loved more of those awards.  Like you said, costumes!  Oh well.  It is a long show already and, as you suggested, if there’s a show they deem worth focusing on that year (hilarious about Tina Fey) they might.  Bleh  

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#2892019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:53am

John Adams said: "I hate the way nominated plays get short-shrift every year.

Years ago, the telecasts used to include representations of the plays as equally as they do the nominated musicals. This year, especially, I REALLY wanted to see snippets fromNetwork,To Kill a Mockingbird, and all of the nominated plays. They could have been recorded in their theaters, and shown during the telecast (like they did for King Kong).

This season, the plays were so, SOmuch more interesting than the musicals. Their exclusion from the telecast points up how the Tonys telecast has become less about honoring the award worthy shows, and more about being one big TV commercial to promote the shows that can generate revenue.

What dummy made the decision that musicals are the ONLY shows worth seeing on Broadway (and consequently the only shows that get TV exposure)?
"

I agree with you completely, but Broadway needs to have the Tony awards nationally televised on a major network, and its ratings are marginal at best. Televising snippets of plays would do nothing but further hurt the ratings.

The person who said that Broadway is making huge profits has been mislead by the references to record numbers of Broadway theatergoers. Still only one out of five Broadway musicals recovers its investment. Making an "investment" in a Broadway musical is really making a donation and receiving a lottery ticket in return that you might have backed a Wicked or Book of Mormon and will genuinely make a ton of money.

Investing in Broadway productions is considered so risky that under the federal securities law most individuals before they can purchase an interest in a musical must qualify as "accredited investors." Here is the definition of one:

• a natural person who has individual net worth, or joint net worth with the person’s spouse, that exceeds $1 million at the time of the purchase, excluding the value of the primary residence of such person;

Believe it or not, straight plays used to be broadcast in prime time on the major networks. For example, in 1967 Arthur Miller's The Crucible starring George C. Scott and Colleen Dewhurst aired on CBS in glorious black and white.

With the dumbing down of our culture, this of course doesn't happen any more. Instead we get crass reality television like The Apprentice which starred Trump instead of Scott and Dewhurst and made our President a national figure.

SFFrontRow
#2902019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:02pm

Sauja said: "I'm a bit surprised by all the love for the Beetlejuice performance, BUT I wasn't a fan of the show, so it might just be sour grapes on my part.

I thought Ain't Too Proud struggled a bit, particularly Sykes--an outstanding performed who seemed to just be a touch off. It made me think about how hard Tony day/week is for these performers who have been up for 15 or so hours before the show starts and had an eight show week AND had rehearsals. Not to mention that the first performance slot is likely the toughest coming right out of the opening. I didn't think he was bad or the number was bad--I think it just wasn't the best it's been.

For me, Hadestown and Oklahoma had the best performances. The Prom was sweet. Choir Boy was wonderful but some of the step sound felt like it got swallowed up by the giant hall. Kiss Me Kate was enjoyable. But all in all, not a great Tonys. Something seemed to be missing, and I can't put my finger on it.
"

No drama in the categories... clear winner/favorites for most of them

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#2912019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:02pm

I'm massively disappointed that Amber didn't win. She sang, danced, and acted the hell out of Persephone. She's magnetic and is going to be so difficult to replace when her contract is up. I'm not sure what else you can do to win an award. I was rooting for Patrick specifically for his acting during Chant II and Epic III, but Andre was fabulous as well. I can't believe how incredibly rude and disrespectful the people sitting around me in the first mezzanine were. You're at an awards ceremony in Radio City being broadcast on network television. Might have to dig up the Bad Theatre Behavior thread later and share.

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#2922019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:20pm

I saw a news report (CBS) that said ticket sales for Hadestown went up 1,300% ....that’s insane and the best musical title obviously does still mean something no matter what the ratings are.

Um Kulthum Profile Photo
Um Kulthum
#2932019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:59pm

HeyMrMusic said: "To play the other side of this sentiment (and to use another Tony example), I’m not happy that Jonathan Pryce won a Tony Award for playing an Asian character, which deprived someone of Asian descent winning a Tony and gaining fame through playing a lead role on Broadway in a huge hit. Also, name one Asian man who has ever won an actingTony in a musical (guess what, you can’t because there are no Asian male musical Tony winners)."

Tony Shalhoub and Ari'el Stachel!

Though I agree with your overall sentiment. 

BroadwayMarley
#2942019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 1:02pm

Don't forget BD Wong in M Butterfly.  Still not a long list

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#2952019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 4:26pm

Is it just me or was James Graham ridiculously adorable when talking about Ink on the Tonys?  I just wanted to give him a hug.  

I'm lying.  I totally wanted to full-on make out with him.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Impossible2
#2962019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 4:52pm

I'm glad Chavkin finally got her award for Great Comet, though I have seen 3 of her shows now and she is progressively getting worse and very samey in her choices.

I am still shocked Hadestown didn't get a single Oliver Nom and yet scooped the Tonys.

It's a pity Amber didn't win, she was great in Comet and Hades.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#2972019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 7:40pm

Um Kulthum said: "HeyMrMusic said: "To play the other side of this sentiment (and to use another Tony example), I’m not happy that Jonathan Pryce won a Tony Award for playing an Asian character, which deprived someone of Asian descent winning a Tony and gaining fame through playing a lead role on Broadway in a huge hit. Also, name one Asian man who has ever won an actingTony in a musical (guess what, you can’t because there are no Asian male musical Tony winners)."

"

I’d argue both gentlemen are Middle Eastern. I don’t think either would identify as Asian. And B.D. Wong won for a play, not a musical, where it’s rare for Asian males to get principal roles.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#2982019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 8:18pm

Ken Watanabe received the nomination for the Best Actor in a Musical. Also nominated for the Olivier.

He received good notices. This from Big Ben:

But he sure comes across when it really counts. “Shall We Dance?,” the number in which Anna teaches the King to trip the light, begins as a whimsical comic exercise. Then at a certain point, Mr. Watanabe’s eyes narrow, his voice deepens and he firmly clasps his co-star’s waist. Sex has entered the building.

If it weren't for the fact that many had a problem with his diction (and many had no problem), he might have had a shot. Why did many have trouble understanding him, and many more (including myself)  have no problem?  Is a puzzlement.

Michael Cerveris already had a Tony and since Fun Home was an ensemble piece the Academy might have embraced diversity by choosing Watanabe.

ArtMan
#2992019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 8:22pm

HeyMrMusic said: "Um Kulthum said: "HeyMrMusic said: "To play the other side of this sentiment (and to use another Tony example), I’m not happy that Jonathan Pryce won a Tony Award for playing an Asian character, which deprived someone of Asian descent winning a Tony and gaining fame through playing a lead role on Broadway in a huge hit. Also, name one Asian man who has ever won an actingTony in a musical (guess what, you can’t because there are no Asian male musical Tony winners)."

"

I’d argue both gentlemen are Middle Eastern. I don’t think either would identify as Asian. And B.D. Wong won for a play, not a musical, where it’s rare for Asian males to get principal roles.
"

You would win that argument.  Both are Middle Eastern.  Definitely not  Asian.

Videos