News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !- Page 2

Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:00am

I can't wait to see the Rock of Ages bitchfest. The countless posts about how there was NO WAY it could possibly get nominated for anything and the derision tossed at anyone who entertained the idea. This is awesome.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#26re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:00am

Where is Jayne Atkinson??

Thank you. I died a little when I didn't see her name. I was hoping it would be like Kate Fleetwood last year--she was overlooked for everything but the Tony.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#27re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:02am

I know this was a busy year, especially for plays, but it's unfortunate that earlier productions were forgotten. although, I guess that's not too unusual.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#28re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:04am

GUYS & DOLLS..only 2 noms for best scenic and best revival. I'm surprised Sergio Trujillo didn't slip into the very weak category of Best Choreography.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#29re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:05am

I figured Jayne Atkinson would be unjustly shut out because she's giving a less showy performance than say the dueling ladies of MARY STUART or GOD OF CARNAGE are giving. Having said that, even though I haven't seen all the plays this season, I can say that Atkinson is giving one of the best performances on Broadway right now. She's a star of her own in BLITHE SPIRIT and was definitely robbed of a nomination. Either way I'm sure she'll still be just as brilliant in the play.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#30re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:06am

I feel bad for Aaron Tveit.

BLOCK ROCKS Profile Photo
BLOCK ROCKS
#31re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:09am

WOW .. I am TOTALLY underwhelmed by the nominations this year. I am especially upset about the shut out of 9 TO 5 (especially for Musical and Steph and Megan).

In all of the categories, I have a pretty good idea as to who is going to win. Pretty predictable.

Not too sure I'll be watching this year. If I have nothing better to do, then I will.

Boo .. just ... boo.

April Saul
#32re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !

Ignoring the Seagull as well as Kristin Scott Thomas and Carey Mulligan was shameful, even worse than Cyrano getting no nods last year because Seagull was even better! I'm happy for reasons to be pretty because anything that helps them bring people in is a good thing...but on what planet does Guys and Dolls deserve any accolades??

wonkit
#33re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !

It seems that opening early in the season (SEAGULL, EQUUS, SPEED-THE-PLOW) and closing before the Tonys means nomination oblivion. Maybe the Nominating Committee has long-term memory loss? Personally glad to see recognition for Esparza and for NORMAN, though.

ETA: And ALL MY SONS. I guess I have long term memory loss, too! Loved that show and thought Wiest and Lithgow were excellent. Updated On: 5/5/09 at 09:09 AM

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#34re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:13am

9 to 5 didn't deserve any more nominations than it got. The show stinks. And congrats to Billy Elliot ... Thrilled for them ... and especially for Carole Shelley, who gave a truly touching performance.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#35re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:14am

I think by ignoring almost everything that has already closed the Tonys have sort of proved their irrelevance. Though, they do this every year. The awards don't really seem to be about quality, but, what shows deserve a boost in ticket sales. It is sort of a shame, because people look back on what shows were nominated in a given year as an example of quality and nominating this way really invalidates that.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#36re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:14am

They did not ignore Pal Joey, with 4 nominations. And that is closed.
Updated On: 5/5/09 at 09:14 AM

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#37re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:15am

Sad about the earlier plays being forgotten... Equus, All My Sons, and Seagull. And I wanted Wiest nominated for All My Sons, she was amazing.

A big WTF over Shrek and ROA getting nominated for Best Musical over 9 to 5. Same for Stockard Channing for leading actress over one of the other 9 to 5 ladies.

Are you kidding me?

singingshowgirl Profile Photo
singingshowgirl
#38re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:15am

whyyyyy did guys and dolls get nominated for best revival? i realize it's not like there were tons of revivals that didn't get nominated, but can't they just nominate pal joey, west side, and hair?? guys and dolls was seriously the worst piece of theater i have ever seen.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#39re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:17am

They did not ignore PalJoey, with 4 nominations.
our very own PalJoey?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#40re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:17am

I may kill myself.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#41re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:21am

Why wasn't Roundabout's A Little Night Music nominated for Best Theatrical Event?

"It ain't no myst'ry If it's politics or hist'ry The thing you gotta know is Ev'rything is show biz" - Mel Brooks

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#42re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:21am

Dude, joking about suicide isn't even funny or appropriate.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#43re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:22am

Put the razor down, D2... something tells me that all of us will survive through this.

I can't really be too upset. I was rooting for Billy the whole way and it looks like the nominating committee was too. And we all knew that amazing performances were going to be omitted because of the billions of plays and good performances to come out of this year. Sure, I'm surprised, but I'm not upset. However, I'd be upset if I were Frank Dolce and his representation.

~Steven

outdamnwench
#44re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:22am

It's funny when puppets joke about it.

TheBoyDownstairs Profile Photo
TheBoyDownstairs
#45re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:25am

I have a lot less issues with the nominations this year than I did with last years. Sure I'd much rather have Aaron Tveit nominated than David Bologna, but overall it wasnt too bad.

It definitely appears the ceremony could be a Billy Elliot fest, and despite Next To Normal being my runaway favorite, I would have a lot less issue with Billy Elliot winning a ton of awards than I was last year with In The Heights winning so much.

J'aime GG Profile Photo
J'aime GG
#46re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:25am

No nominations of any kind for The Seagull is ludicrous. It is everything classic theatre ought to be. And was Fonda really better than Scott-Thomas?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#47re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:29am

You're a good sport, TheBoyDownstairs. Hey, 11 nominations is nothing to be ashamed about! (And I totally agree with you about In the Heights...)

~Steven

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#48re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:33am

I can't believe Block didn't get a nom. She saved the whole show for me. After Get Out and Stay Out, I was LOVING it! I would have nodded to her over Janey.

I hated God of Carnage and couldn't wait for it to be over. I did think the acting was great. I just can't imagine 4 best actor/ess nods!

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

fosca3 Profile Photo
fosca3
#49re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:35am

Daniel Radcliffe in Equus -- my heart breaks for him. I thought his performance was so brave, and he gave his whole heart and soul to the part

You don't go to the dragon without a present - Mark Rylance

Videos