News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17- Page 7

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#150HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/21/18 at 7:26am

We were going to wait for the B Buckley tour, but now we're thinking about this option as we will be in NYC during this part of the run.

We have an open Saturday matinee slot on our weekend -- does anyone think there's any chance they will sell tix and then announce that Bette isn't doing all the shows?

Loopin’theloop
#151HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/21/18 at 7:34am

geoffreyC said: "They are wise to shut her down now. let's face it, this show has been done to death, enough."

There are plenty of shows ‘done to death’ that are still running. If the producers feel that the show isn’t sustainable, good for them for going out on a high. However I share in the sadness of many of the previous posters, this is a beautiful production of a show that leaves you with a sense of walking on air.  

Yes the show is old fashioned but I would argue with anyone who feels it doesn’t have something as equally important to say as any new clever, deep show of the moment. The way in which ‘Hello, Dolly!’ speaks of and to the human spirit is unrivalled.

I’m sad it won’t be enjoyed on Broadway for many years to come but thankful she was back where she belongs for long enough to weave its spell once more.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#152HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/21/18 at 8:15am

Wee Thomas2 said: "does anyone think there's any chance they will sell tix and then announce that Bette isn't doing all the shows?"

No.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#153HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/21/18 at 8:16am

Wee Thomas2 said: "We were going to wait for the B Buckley tour, but now we're thinking about this option as we will be in NYC during this part of the run.

We have an open Saturday matinee slot on our weekend -- does anyone think there's any chance they will sell tix and then announce that Bette isn't doing all the shows?
"

They didn't do this the first go round.

ddenoff2 Profile Photo
ddenoff2
#154HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/21/18 at 10:14am

Queen Latifah. She’d be bigger than Pearl

Jarethan
#155HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/21/18 at 10:55am

IdinaBellFoster said: "I'm sure Rudin COULD find someone to follow Bernadette, but it's not a cheap production to run. I appreciate that he's going to close it with class as opposed to following the Weissler method of throwing in Real Housewives to keep a show open."

I see big shows like Kinky Boots and School of Rock running for years on grosses of less than a million and I think of all the additional audiences who are entertained because they are still open.  I referenced the Weisslers because I am under the impression that Chicago is still running because audiences still enjoy it.  A lot.  

Dolly wouldn't work if marketed exactly the same way; however, there still seem to be 'stunt' opportunities that would be successful.  Some of the names mentioned in other posts would be good candidates.

I guess the question none of us knows the answer to is a key factor: exactly what is the weekly nut and (presumably) why is it so high without Midler (I for one assumed that Midler was making $400 - $500K a week, which would inflate the breakeven; of course, they were able to get the prices they did only because of Midler, so she deserved whatever she got).  It is not a particularly big cast, Peters is probably getting 10% to 15% of what Midler was making (which if I am right about Midler would translate into anywhere between $40K and $75K).  From a purely economic point-of-view, it just doesn't add up to a well-planned investment strategy.

I do agree with the poster who referenced The Producers' dilemma once Lane left.  Is it possibly that use of huge stars only works when the production is always planned as a limited engagement.  When Hello, Dolly became Hello, Bette, did that work hugely advantageously for the duration of her run, but position for a huge build-up of post-Bette apathy?  I know it is a revival, and revivals don't run as long as new productions (with a few rare exceptions); on the other hand, this is a show that got incredibly rapturous reviews, is (TO ME) the first real revival since it opened 50+ years ago, and was once the longest running show in Broadway history.  I would have expected those factors to guarantee a longer run.  I do assume that, if the producers are closing it, they believe that it is going to lose money once the summer season is over, which I never would have expected a year ago.

whizzer_wins Profile Photo
whizzer_wins
#156HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/21/18 at 7:30pm

Does anyone have any idea wha prices will look like for these shows?

I’m expecting hella expensive, but I’d love to at least see it from the rear balcony. :”)

BWAY Baby2
#157HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/21/18 at 9:15pm

It does not take a crystal ball to predict that prices will be sky high- look at the Springsteen tickets- I bought my sister- who loves Springsteen- I am not a fan- tickets for her birthday- and they cost 600 bucks each for her and her hubby- plus fees that is 1238 for a Bway show- outrageous- and that was for tickets on the side- i did not want to spring for the 850 tickets.. I imagine Bette will be as expensive- or somewhere near that. Even Evan Hanson tickets are about 450 in a lot of the orchestra- I find this outrageous- so different than London- where a ticket for the biggest hits is rarely over 100 USD. I know because I go to West End productions at least once a year. This is a bad omen for Bway blockbusters- you gotta be rich to get a decent seat. Wonder if Streisand started this trend years ago selling her concerts for 2500 a ticket- which at the time was scandalous. Not a good trend.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#158HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/21/18 at 9:22pm

whizzer_wins said: "Does anyone have any idea wha prices will look like for these shows?

I’m expecting hella expensive, but I’d love to at least see it from the rear balcony. :&rdquoHELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
"

I’m hoping the “cheap” tickets are about as “cheap” as they were the first go around. I haven’t seen the show from the balcony (I’ve heard it’s terrible) but I would really love to be there for the last performance, so I may have to get tickets. I don’t want to risk SRO if they decide not to do it for the final show.

CPannullo
#159HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/21/18 at 9:29pm

n2nbaby said: "whizzer_wins said: "Does anyone have any idea wha prices will look like for these shows?

I’m expecting hella expensive, but I’d love to at least see it from the rear balcony. :&rdquoHELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
"

I’m hoping the “cheap” tickets are about as “cheap” as they were the first go around. I haven’t seen the show from the balcony (I’ve heard it’s terrible) but I would really love to be there for the last performance, so I may have to get tickets. I don’t want to risk SRO if they decide not to do it for the final show.
"

I was lucky enough to see this show the first time around with Bette Midler (in the balcony) with my friends as it was one of their gifts. The price on the ticket was $79 and we sat in like the Row E Center Balcony. I don’t know how much more expensive it would be than that. I too am looking to buy tickets to see it a second time with Bette 

Liza's Headband
#160HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/22/18 at 10:07pm

Jarethan said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "I'm sure Rudin COULD find someone to follow Bernadette, but it's not a cheap production to run. I appreciate that he's going to close it with class as opposed to following the Weissler method of throwing in Real Housewives to keep a show open."

I see bigshows like Kinky Boots and School of Rockrunning for years on grosses of less than a million and I think of all the additional audiences who are entertained because they are still open. I referenced the Weisslers because I am under the impression that Chicago is still running because audiences still enjoy it. A lot.

Dolly wouldn't work if marketed exactly the same way; however, there still seem to be 'stunt' opportunities that would be successful. Some of the names mentioned in other posts would be good candidates.

I guess the question none of us knows the answer to is a key factor: exactly what is the weekly nut and (presumably) why is it so high without Midler (I for one assumed that Midler was making $400 - $500K a week, which would inflate the breakeven; of course, they were able to get the prices they did only because of Midler, so she deserved whatever she got). It is not a particularly big cast, Peters is probably getting 10% to 15% of what Midler was making (which if I am right about Midler would translate into anywhere between $40K and $75K). From a purely economic point-of-view, it just doesn't add up to a well-planned investment strategy.

I do agree with the poster who referenced The Producers' dilemma once Lane left. Is it possibly that use of huge stars only works when the production is always planned as a limited engagement. When Hello, Dolly became Hello, Bette, did that work hugely advantageously for the duration of her run, but position fora huge build-up of post-Bette apathy? I know it is a revival, and revivals don't run as long as new productions (with a few rare exceptions); on the other hand, this is a show that got incredibly rapturousreviews, is (TO ME) the first real revival since it opened 50+ years ago, and was once the longest running show in Broadway history. I would have expected those factors to guarantee a longer run. I do assume that, if the producers are closing it, they believe that it is going to lose money once the summer season is over, which I never would have expected a year ago.
"

I said it once before and I'll say it again: the production recouped only three weeks ago. Just keep that in mind.

As to to the weekly nut, Bette was making less than these numbers you're throwing around but not by much.

Furthermore, you're not taking into account the "fee" Rudin is well known in the industry for taking each week. It's highway robbery. He gets these fools to invest thousands upon thousands of dollars, then diminishes their ROI by taking a fee off the top (of the gross!).  He's double-dipping and it's absolute thievery. Truly, the David Merrick of our generation. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#161HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/22/18 at 10:59pm

Every producer takes a fee off the top, and I guarantee you every such fee is fully disclosed in the offering papers. There are a lot of reasons not to do business with Rudin but this is not one of them. 

As for the show, everyone is making money. 

As usual the percentage of accurate information posted here is lower than the percentage of fat in milk.

Liza's Headband
#162HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/22/18 at 11:50pm

No producer takes the fee he takes, Hogan.  Don't be obtuse in your blind willingness to defend the man. 

theatreguy12
#163HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/22/18 at 11:59pm

Color me not surprised by this announcement.

This started, and will end, as a showcase for BM.  It was more about an event more than it was a Broadway show. 

If not Dolly, it could've been Mame or Mama Rose....again.  And her run would have been sold out.

Would this revival have lasted this long with just any Broadway diva?  Who knows?

Bringing in a celebrity the caliber of BM at least ensured it would be around as long as she was.  Because it was about seeing her, not so much the show.

It has continued somewhat successfully because it's a beautiful, monied show.  The beauty and money that was assured in this production because of the celebrity heading it hasn't changed just because she left.  It's a beautiful show. 

You have enough Broadway fans (be they locals or tourists) of both classics and Broadway divas who will still pay to see the likes of the goddess, Bernadette Peters.  

She may not have the celebrity of BM, but she is Broadway.

Bookending it with BM's return is a nice little monetary exclamation point.   Lots of money for all involved.  And a chance for BM to close out the event she began, rather than seeing a Broadway diva close the show.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#164HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/23/18 at 12:07am

I have never defended him, and have been quite explicit here in saying I do not like him and do not want to do business with him. What I am defending is the truth, and it was in short supply in your post. He is not doing anything underhanded, which is what you are suggesting, nor, might I add, does he have any trouble raising money for his shows. 

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#165HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/23/18 at 4:05pm

Liza's Headband said: 
I said it once before and I'll say it again: the production recouped only three weeks ago. Just keep that in mind.

As to to the weekly nut, Bette was making less than these numbers you're throwing around but not by much.

Furthermore, you're not taking into account the "fee" Rudin is well known in the industry for taking each week. It's highway robbery. He gets these fools to invest thousands upon thousands of dollars, then diminishes their ROI by taking a fee off the top (of the gross!). He's double-dipping and it's absolute thievery. Truly, the David Merrick of our generation.
"

Who are you?  Where are you getting your information?  Why should you be believed? 

Jarethan
#166HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/23/18 at 4:21pm

If the show really only broke even three weeks ago, with the grosses it had for nine months, followed by decent grosses since then, someone did a terrible job working out the economics of the show.  That could explain why the show is closing...maybe the weekly nut -- even without Bette -- is just too high.  Not sure why it would be so much higher than, say, Kinky Boots, which has not grossed $1MM per week in ages (other than the Urie interval and holiday weeks) and has still been running for a long time on those grosses.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#167HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/23/18 at 5:06pm

If Bette skips a performance, it will likely be the Tuesday evening show as it was during her original run. But since this run is so short, she may likely do all performances.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#168HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/23/18 at 5:10pm

Mildred Plotka said: "If Bette skips a performance, it will likely be the Tuesday evening show as it was during her original run. But since this run is so short, she may likely do all performances."

Whatever performances goes on sale Saturday, she will do.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#169HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/23/18 at 6:46pm

The show has made no announcement regarding recoupment and we have no ifficial word on it. The closest we have is an unsourced statement, probably hearsay, from someone I am inclined to believe did not make up what they heard. But let's understand: technical recoupment and practical recoupment are two different things. There is no requirement that funds be distributed instantly, there is nothing to prevent a producer from deciding, for whatever reason, to redirect proceeds to a reserve account or some other line item. We have no way of knowing. If the production made a recoupment distribution x weeks ago, that is probably all that the source knows. As I have said before, everyone is going to make plenty off this show, and the sophisticated people who forked up the dough for this show will happily do so again for a similar opportunity in the future. 

Larry6417
#170HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/23/18 at 9:35pm

With Bette's ridiculous ticket prices she should do all 8 performances.

I saw the show twice at regular prices with "Dolly's" Donna Murphy and Bernadette Peters, which IMO brought acting chops to the role.

I glided in at intermission and saw the 2nd Act with Bette, and IMO she's playing Bette, NOT Dolly.

I can't wait for the tour with Betty Buckley, because those are some serious acting chops!

Updated On: 4/23/18 at 09:35 PM

Papi2013
#171HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/23/18 at 9:37pm

HogansHero said: "The show has made no announcement regarding recoupment and we have no ifficial word on it. The closest we have is an unsourced statement, probably hearsay, from someone I am inclined to believe did not make up what they heard. But let's understand: technical recoupment and practical recoupment are two different things. There is no requirement that funds be distributed instantly, there is nothing to preventa producer from deciding, for whatever reason, to redirect proceeds to a reserve account or some other line item. We have no way of knowing. If the production made a recoupment distribution x weeks ago, that is probably all that the source knows. As I have said before, everyone is going to make plenty off this show, and the sophisticated people who forked up the dough for this show will happily do so again for a similar opportunity in the future."

Who is the someone your inclined to believe ?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#172HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/23/18 at 10:03pm

#160, as to the recoupment information.

Papi2013
#173HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/23/18 at 10:22pm

HogansHero said: "#160, as to the recoupment information."

The headband ?  Why?

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#174HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/23/18 at 10:35pm

I always thought that from the moment that it was announced that she was going to play Dolly, I knew that they should have renamed the show, "Hello, Bette".  I love her as a singer/entertainer/performer, but as an actress she needs to have a very tight rein.  Without that tight rein, her overacting gets the best of her, take a look at all of the films she has made lately.  "Hello, Dolly" is a classic of American Musical Theatre.  I saw the last tour with Carol Channing and was completely mesmerized by her performance seeing the person that created the role and owning the stage.  The overpriced charges for the seats should be regulated in some way so that certain people (producers and talent) don't runaway with the whole store.  I thought that I wanted to see her on Broadway, but after reading most of the opinions of her performance on here, I think that I can wait to see her on TV or video...

Videos