News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The 74th Annual Tony Awards (2021) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 4

The 74th Annual Tony Awards (2021) - News & Discussion Thread

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#7674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 9:08pm

Sutton Ross said: "Did I miss where it said they would only be nominating two people for that category? If so, my apologies."

Aaron Tveit and Chris McCarrell are the only eligible people, since it turns out West Side Story and North Country are ineligible. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#7774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 9:11pm

Got it, thanks guys. 

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#7874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 9:12pm

To be clear, it has not been confirmed that WSS and GFTNC are intelligible.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#7974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 9:19pm

They are. NYT confirmed it.

"....but only the 18 shows that opened before Feb. 19 will be eligible for Tony Awards. A revival of “West Side Story” that opened Feb. 20 and the new musical “Girl From the North Country,” which opened March 5, will not be eligible because too few nominators and voters saw them before Broadway shut down March 12.

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#8074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 9:26pm

What a joke! Truly Pathetic!

Sutton Ross
#8174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 9:29pm

VotePeron said: "To be clear, it has not been confirmed that WSS and GFTNC are ineligible."

It was confirmed hours ago by Wayman, actually. Thank you for confirming it again, DisneyFan. 

Updated On: 8/21/20 at 09:29 PM

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#8274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 9:34pm

This is....interesting. I second the notion that they combine categories and take out musical/play distinctions. That would make for a much more interesting race.

SouthernCakes
#8374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 10:07pm

RE: Sutton Ross i’m not disagreeing with anything you said, actually! I love his voice!  But none of that means he deserves the highest honor in stage acting for “being a nice person.” He’s not a good actor. His reaction to her death was just laughably bad. 

Updated On: 8/21/20 at 10:07 PM

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#8474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 10:10pm

HenryTDobson said: "This is....interesting. I second the notion that they combine categories and take out musical/play distinctions.That would make for a much more interesting race."

I can't see them combining plays and musicals together into "Best New Production" and "Best Revival Production." 

I CAN however see them combining new and revival of each to make it just "Best Play, New or Revival)" and "Best Musical, New or Revival." But then yeah I could see them combine all the designs into just "Best Set, light, sound, etc." And acting goes down to 4 awards into just actor/actress in play and musical.

Maybe this was not such a lucky break for some of these shows as I originally thought.

Sutton Ross
#8574th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 10:15pm

SouthernCakes said: "RE: Sutton Ross i’m not disagreeing with anything you said, actually! I love his voice! But none of that means he deserves the highest honor in stage acting for “being a nice person.” He’s not a good actor. His reaction to her death was just laughably bad."

Him being nice was just a bonus for me when I talked to him after his performance in Company. He's a great actor who has had constant work, and a wonderful career so far. I think it was you that, months ago, you said you keep going to see him even though you think he's a bad actor?  That makes no sense, so it must be something about him that intrigues you. Perhaps you are just jealous of his career?

Updated On: 8/21/20 at 10:15 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#8674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 10:21pm

It’s wild to me that people have an easier time with imagining plays and musicals competing in the same category, than to imagine men and women competing in the same category. There’s an actual artistic difference between plays and musicals. There’s an artistic difference between male acting and female acting.

I agree that combining plays/musicals is a viable option for the design categories, but if they end up combining acting categories, there’s no reason not to get rid of the gender divide.

Luckily they don’t have to worry about musical revivals vs original musicals, because the number of eligible musical revivals is a big fat zero.

Wayman_Wong
#8774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 10:24pm

For the record, the Tonys have had years where only two performers (or even two shows) competed in a category. At the 1959 Tony Awards, there were just 2 nominees for Best Actress in a Musical: Miyoshi Umeki (''Flower Drum Song'' ) and Gwen Verdon (''Redhead'' ). And that would happen again in 1995: Glenn Close (''Sunset Boulevard'' ) and Rebecca Luker (''Show Boat'' ).Also in 1995: just 2 shows for Best Musical: ''Sunset Boulevard'' and ''Smokey Joe's Cafe'' and 2 shows for Best Musical Revival: ''How to Succeed in Business'' and ''Show Boat.''

The Tonys also have the discretion of bumping up or down performers in categories. Like, why not put Daniel J. Watts (''Tina'' ) in Leading? He plays Ike. In the West End production, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith played the same role, and was Olivier-nominated for Leading; and won!

The worst-case scenario to me is what the Tonys did in 1985: dropped the categories of Best Actor and Actress in a Musical altogether. 

P.S. Sutton Ross, I couldn't agree more with you about Aaron Tveit. He's a terrific singer AND actor, and he gives his all in ''Moulin Rouge!'' After getting edged out in past seasons for ''Next to Normal'' and ''Catch Me If You Can,'' he's overdue to get some Tony recognition. His mantle already includes a Helen Hayes Award and Clarence Derwent Award, plus he's been nominated by the Lucille Lortels, the Drama League, the Chita Rivera Awards, the Outer Critics Circle and the Grammys.

Updated On: 8/21/20 at 10:24 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#8874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 10:28pm

The lack of nominees likely means The Lightning Thief could snag 10 nominations.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 8/21/20 at 10:28 PM

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#8974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 10:50pm

I was fine with Tveit's performance. Not revolutionary, but there's been multiple years with underwhelming wins, it's just natural. You have a year like 2017 where every Best Musical nominee could have won in another year and followed directly by that you had 2018 where The Band's Visit was the only worthy musical (albeit one of the most worthy ever). While yes there were some exciting shows coming in, this was already seen as a very weak season. I love the Tonys and respect their significance and meaning (which is why I'm not  really for the Best Ensemble Tony, unless it is just a production award and not awarded specifically to each performer), but this is a time like no other and having a Tonys like no other just is fitting. Again, as I stated before, Adrienne, Danny and Lauren were already favorites to win and being so hung over Aaron winning is frankly ridiculous. Again, it was shaping up to be a weak year leading actor wise too. 

I just don't really understand why people are being so negative about this. I don't think anyone in the future will hold this  ceremony to the same standards as other years.  It'll always be regarded as the Tonys the year of the shutdown. At this point it is very likely we won't get the awards next year. I've honestly been typing too long and forget what I've even said but pretty much there has been weak seasons before, don't let your personal hangups be a reason to act like handing out awards is disgraceful. 

To top this all off, I'm rooting for Jagged to win (and yes, despite the many criticisms, think it would've had good chance to win in the full season.) A show that (,maybe in too many ways tries to,) speaks to now and I do think the Tonys will take note of that, especially with the state of the country being what it is and these awards now taking place assumingely weeks/days before the election.

copskid949 Profile Photo
copskid949
#9074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/21/20 at 11:17pm

LesWickedly said: "I was fine with Tveit's performance. Not revolutionary, but there's been multiple years with underwhelming wins, it's just natural. You have a year like 2017 where every Best Musical nominee could have won in another year and followed directly by that you had 2018 where The Band's Visit was the only worthymusical (albeit one of the most worthy ever).While yes there were some exciting shows coming in, this was already seen as a very weak season. I love the Tonys and respect their significance and meaning (which is why I'm not really for the Best Ensemble Tony, unless it is just a production award and not awarded specifically to each performer), but this is a time like no other and having a Tonys like no other just is fitting. Again, as I stated before, Adrienne, Danny and Lauren were already favorites to win andbeing so hung over Aaron winning is frankly ridiculous. Again, it was shaping up to be a weak year leading actor wise too.

I just don't really understand why people are being so negative about this. I don't think anyone in the future will hold this ceremony to the same standards as other years. It'llalwaysbe regarded as the Tonys the year of the shutdown. At this point it is very likely we won't get the awards next year. I've honestly been typing too long and forget what I've even said but pretty much there has been weak seasons before, don't let your personal hangups be a reason to act like handing out awards is disgraceful.

To top this all off, I'm rooting for Jagged to win (and yes, despite the many criticisms, think it would've had good chance to win in the full season.) A show that (,maybe in too many ways tries to,)speaks to now and I do think the Tonys will take note of that, especially with the state of the country being what it is and these awards nowtaking place assumingely weeks/days before the election.
"

Fully agree on Jagged. It would’ve been pressed to fight against North Country and Six, but it stands strong even without those two taken out of the race. Plus its relevance, not to mention the cast, are factors that are totally gonna help it upon reopening. I mean, Lauren Patten is a front-runner for Supporting and could probably win it on the basis of “You Oughta Know” alone, Elizabeth Stanley still has a shot for Leading despite going up against Warren, Antonio Cipriano is a heartthrob among the Broadway stans, not to mention the huge fanbases behind Klena and Gallagher. (Krill and Gooding are also just as incredible!)

Also, if they were to implement the Ensemble award this year to try and flesh things out (cough cough), this one is *really* promising.

I really think they have it in the bag. Alanis might make her 2020s comeback after all.

herewegoabc
#9174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/22/20 at 12:38am

Count me in on the Jagged Little Pill love. I'm thankful I got to see it twice before the shutdown. Elizabeth Stanley was the standout for me, but I also loved Celia Rose Gooding's performance. I know Patten is the likely winner from that show, but I would love to see Gooding get some recognition. And though I loved Stanley's performance, I'd be thrilled to see Adrienne Warren get her Tony.

On the play side, I'm just hoping for some Michael Urie recognition. I loved his performance in Grand Herizons. The standout in a group of topnotch performances.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#9274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/22/20 at 2:47am

these awards make literally no sense. shows aren't playing so voters can't go see anything. barely any shows opened and played at all.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Wayman_Wong
#9374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/22/20 at 2:47am

I hope the Tony nominators don't overlook Ryan Knowles in ''The Lightning Thief'' for Featured Actor in a Musical. His main character is Chiron, who's the wise mentor to Percy (Chris McCarrell), but he does 8 other roles (with 25 quick changes). Knowles also plays Poseidon, Medusa and Hades (as if he were portrayed by Paul Lynde). He's a riot..

Updated On: 8/22/20 at 02:47 AM

Islander_fan
#9474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/22/20 at 3:49am

JBroadway said: "Sutton Ross said: "Yes to all of these, and I absolutely think Aaron will be nominated for his heartbreaking, gorgeous work in Moulin Rouge! over anything in the extremely problematic WSS."

Obviously you and I disagree about Tveit, which is totally fine - it's all subjective, and we're all entitled to our opinions. But some food for thought:

If we're introducing "problematic" into the equation, is it really better to award a white actor over an actor of color, simply because the actor of color is in the same cast as a sex offender? Especially when the actor of color has received a ton of praise for his performance?

Not trying to attack you or criticize you. I mean this all with respect.It's just an alternate perspective on the reasoning you gave. And ultimately, I don't expect to change your mind about Tveit, or West Side Story.

"

First off, there are no sex offenders on Broadway. And, to mention such when it had nothing at all to do with the discussion is a bit much. And, yes, I know what you’re talking about, I used to work at NYCB. 

But, in any case, I am not sure how I feel about this. I honestly think that they just should have bypassed this year. What does the professional theatre community stand to gain from this? There aren’t live performances going on for non theatre people to check out etc and they are basically awarding half of a season. A vast majority of the spring shows never opened on time.

The only think that would surprise me is if Slave Play doesn’t win best play. I am not talking about the quality of the work or anything of that nature. There’s politics involved in every awards show. That said, since Slave Play closed, we have seen the murder of George Floyd, the worldwide Black Lives Matter protests and that document that came out talking about how white theatre owners and operators etc can do things to make it better for the black community. I have the feeling that The League wants try and change their image when it comes to diversity on Broadway. That said, giving the award to Slave Play does just that.  

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9574th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/22/20 at 4:16am

Surprising that Aaron Tveit wasn’t at least nominated for either next to normal or catch me if you can. Hopefully he can get at least some recognition such as a nomination this time! Knowing his luck they will pull the whole category lol 74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#9674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/22/20 at 7:03am

The plays may not re-open but the Tony nominations for Best Play determine which ones will be produced by regional theaters in the near future. I cannot say if regional theaters will ever re-open after 2020 but some of this fall's new plays will get recognition. I was one of the folks who really enjoyed The Inheritance and would like to see the cast (particularly Andrew Burnap and Kyle Soller) get some recognition for their work.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/22/20 at 8:25am

I do think that Daniel J. Watts(TINA) & Sean Allan Krill(Jagged) will get put into the Leading Actor category.

Maybe the Tony committee will change their minds and include West Side Story & North Country. Would suck for the casts of these two shows to be forced to wait until the 2021 Tonys to be included.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#9874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/22/20 at 9:31am

I concur competitive categories makes little to no sense. Sure, it happened in the past, but who respects SUNSET as a Best Musical winner?

They should give citations like the Obie Awards. Then, performances. Don't make folks dress up from their d*mn homes only to lose a category with 3 people in it. No glamour, just their living room after.

And what a shame about WSS and GFNC. Those two could've made a couple categories slightly competitive.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#9974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 8/22/20 at 10:24am

The only thing I care about here is Paul Hilton winning a Tony.

Videos