News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)- Page 11

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#250The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:14am

inception said: "Re: Soo & Camelot

Soo wasn't as flashy as some of these other nominated performances, & was hampered by the new book.

I think the theatre at Lincoln Center can take a lesson from the neighbors at the Met about where they should be focusing their energy. Forget these revivals - especially of troubled shows so difficult to fix. Instead they should be the ones bringing in new works like what tge Met is doing with The Minutes or Champion.

Re: ITW nominations, I'm more surprised by Patina Miller's snub.
"

To be fair, LCT’s last big musical production was a risky new work, Flying Over Sunset. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#251The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:16am

My best guess for Soo is that a lot of nomators voted for her, but they only voted for her in one category. Then they ended up being too split over which category she should get in for and that resulted in her getting in for neither. 

Broadway61004
#252The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:17am

Kad said: "It’s the duty of the nominators to remember. These awards are for the whole season, not just for the shows that are running between February and April."

Oh, absolutely, I'm not at all saying they shouldn't. I'm just saying history has shown that for musicals, the nominators typically remember the closed shows but the voters do not. It's no coincidence that only one musical has ever won Best Musical or Best Revival of a Musical having already closed but plenty have been nominated over the years. For whatever reason, the nominating committee is perfectly capable of remembering these shows but the voters can't. Which is why I'm saying I still think Into the Woods has very little shot of actually winning, as this is pretty typical (meaning, typical that it gets recognized in the nominations phase but then is overlooked come voting for the actual awards).

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#253The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:22am

My biggest surprises

- Colton Ryan over Andrew Burnap

- Sweeney Todd for Best Sound

- Gaten Matarazzo not nominated for Best Featured Actor

- Prima Facie no nominated for Best Play

- All the love for New York, New York (with the Best Actor and Best Book nominations being the biggest head scratchers for me)

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 5/2/23 at 10:22 AM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#254The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:28am

Broadway61004 said: "Kad said: "Yeah, it feels like people have forgotten the production at Encores and then with its initial Broadway cast was an event.People loved it, enthusiastically.

As you say, people have forgotten it. I'm not sure why Tony nominators always remember closed revivals (for musicals) but Tony voters never do. Which is why even with the Best Direction nod, I still think it's solidly in 3rd place behind Sweeney or Parade.
"

I think Kad meant to say people forgot the production WAS at Encores, meaning the people poopoo’ing the concert-style staging and underestimating its award potential. The staging was intentionally presentational, but that didn’t matter. It was a heartfelt, joyous revival *event*. None of the other revivals carry that same weight. It doesn’t matter that it already closed or that some people on a message board wanted “more set.”

Updated On: 5/2/23 at 10:28 AM

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#255The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:28am

EDSOSLO858 said: "Dancin’posts closing first, if you ask me.Bad Cinderellableeds money untilEvitais ready to go just so ALW can keep up his streak."

Evita is at least a year away, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think ALW's excessive concern with this streak is a real phenomenon anyhow.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#256The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:29am

Now that the Nods are in let's discuss who's gonna win! Here are my predictions! Some I cannot decide, so I put my top two. 

Musicals

Best Musical - Kimberly Akimbo

Musical Revival - Parade or Sweeney Todd

Lead Actress - Victoria Clark

Lead Actor - Josh Groban

Featured Actress - Bonnie Mulligan

Featured Actor - Alex Newell or Justin Cooley

Musical Book - David Lindsay-Abaire (Kimberly Akimbo)

Original Score - Jeanine Tesori & David Lindsay-Abaire (Kimberly Akimbo)

Orchestrations - John Clancy (Kimberly Akimbo)

Direction - Michael Arden (Parade)

Set Design - Scott Pask (Some Like it Hot)

Sound Design - Gareth Owen (& Juliet)

Lighting Design - Natasha Katz (Some Like it Hot)

Costume Design - Gregg Barnes (Some Like it Hot)

Choreography - Casey Nicholaw (Some Like it Hot)

Plays

Best Play - Fat Ham or Ain’t No Mo

Revival of a Play - A Doll’s House

Lead Actress - Jodie Comer

Lead Actor - Wendell Pierce

Featured Actress - Crystal Lucas Perry 

Featured Actor - Jordan E. Cooper

Direction - Saheem Ali (Fat Ham) or Jamie Lloyd (A Doll’s House)

Set Design - Tim Hatley & Andrzej Goulding (Life of Pi)

Sound Design - Ben & Max Ringham (Prima Facie)

Lighting Design - Bradley King (Fat Ham)

Costume Design - Dominique Fawn Hill (Fat Ham)

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#257The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:37am

WOW. A LOT to unpack here.

- Actor/Play: Bummed about Oscar Isaac not making the cut but MARCEL SPEARS GETTING CUT IS UNFORGIVABLE!!!

- Actress/Play: It's a Chastain/Comer smackdown and everyone else is window-dressing (Sorry, Audra)

- Actor/Musical: Surprised they went the six-nominee route here, but I'm going to guess Borle and Ryan tied and so both made it in. Ryan does not deserve to be anywhere near that category though

- Actress/Musical: The category that will destroy friendships. All of them are MORE than deserving.

- Play: Ain't No Mo, Fat Ham, and Cost of Living make my soul VERY happy. I hope one of them kicks the poo out of Leopoldstadt.

- Featured Actress/Musical: I think Lester is the biggest (well-deserved) surprise here, although Ruthie Ann Miles sneaking in caught me off guard. I (perhaps foolishly) thought that they would throw Carolee Carmello a frickin' bone here for carrying BAD CINDERELLA on her back.

- Featured Actor/Musical: 10/10 Perfect Category. No notes.

- Featured Actress/Play: 10/10 Perfect Category. No notes. THRILLED for Nikki Crawford and CRYSTAL LUCAS-PERRY HIVE RISE UP!!!

- Featured Actor/Play: Jordan E. Cooper deserves the world.

KPOP getting nods for Score, Choreography, and Costume Design is the justice I wanted to see!

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#258The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:41am

I'm remarkably sad that DANCIN' was shut out of everything.

Also, DAMN! They really stuck it to Philippa Soo this year. 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#259The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:42am

quizking101 said: "I'm remarkably sad that DANCIN' was shut out of everything.

Also, DAMN! They really stuck it to Philippa Soo this year.
"

I, too, was shocked. Phillipa's Guenivere is simply stunning!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

rattleNwoolypenguin
#260The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:56am

Soo for ITW is a snub. She was the best interpretation of that role I've ever seen and it's also her best performance. 

But I guess it's a stacked year.

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#261The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:00am

Can 'Ain't No Mo' do a quick little revival for the spring pls bc I am so sad I missed it, and so glad it got rewarded today!

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#262The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:04am

Sharon D. Clarke And Alli Mauzey are my “fist to the sky” snubs. Not a day goes by that I don’t think of Mauzey performing Father Time

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#263The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:05am

After I'd seen KA and before the cast album, 'Father Time' was the one that stuck with me. Gorgeous, and she is great.

BETTY22
#264The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:05am

CONGRATS to all the nominees.

What an exciting morning.

Let's hope Some Like It Hot, Kimberly and other struggling shows have a great bump at the box office. 

Playbill_Trash
#265The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:11am

I expected Will Swenson to get the “Night with Janis Joplin”, Rob McClure in Chaplin and Doubtfire, Carolee Carmelo in scandalous nomination - the “carrying the show” slot. But it looks like the competition was to stiff this year.

I wonder if he and his wife were both expecting to be nominated, but surprisingly only she did. Maybe he can borrow one of Audra’s 6 trophies for the night.

Also, I wonder how Sara Porkalob is feeling this morning since she put out in that interview her hope for doing 1776 was getting a tony nomination. I was hoping the directors of that revival got nominated just to spite her. But the overall snub was good enough.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#266The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

It's a bad morning to be Phillipa Soo's agent or one of Ken Davenport's minions.

Sad for John David Washington, Sharon D Clarke, and Oscar Isaac. Thrilled for Stephen McKinley Henderson, Natasha Yvette Williams, and Kevin Del Aguila.

Betsy Wolfe is solid in & Juliet, but nice to finally see her get recognized after the debacles with Frozen and Carousel.

One interesting campaign thing: TOPDOG bought the banner ad in the Broadway Briefing yesterday (and I bet they've had that for a while), which could have helped its nom haul at the last minute. Not exclusively, of course, but a great reminder as the nominators were about to cast their ballots.

Skywalker3
#267The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

How about the 0 nominations for A Beautiful Noise?

JSquared2
#268The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:12am

In practically any other production, Arthur and Guinevere would practically be shoo-ins for at least a nom.  Burnap and Soo (and Sher -- although it's his own fault) all have Sorkin's script to thank for the lack of nominations.   BTW I normally love Sorkin's writing (and could watch The West Wing episodes on a continuous loop) -- but theatre does not appear to be in his wheelhouse.  I thought his script ruined TKAM, as well.

JasonC3
#269The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:15am

I thought Burnap brought Sorkin's dialogue to life to great effect and was responsible for much of the humor sprinkled in throughout the show, particularly in Act One.  Disappointed he was not recognized.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#270The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:18am

Personally I think Andrew Durand’s snub is unforgivable.  I enjoyed his performance much more and thought he was head and shoulders above Cahoon and Newell.  

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#271The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:19am

Personally, the only shock to me was Gaten’s snub- as someone else noted he was a stand out to me. I’m officially saying, this is Some Like it Hot’s to lose. Not that anyone asked, but here’s my picks after the noms- 

Best Book of a Musical:

Kimberly Akimbo- prediction 

& Juliet- my pick

Score:

Some Like it Hot- prediction 

Shucked- my pick

Actor Play:

Stephen McKinley Henderson- prediction/my pick

Actress Play:

Jodie Comer- prediction/my pick

Actor Musical:

J. Harrison Ghee- prediction/my pick

Actress Musical-

Annaleigh Ashford- prediction/my pick

Featured Actor Play:

Brandon Uranowitz- prediction/my pick

Featured Actress Play:

Crystal Lucas-Perry- prediction/pick

Featured Actor Musical:

Alex Newell- prediction 

Kevin Del Aguila- my pick

Featured Actress Musical- 

Bonnie Milligan- prediction 

Natasha Yvette Williams- my pick 

Scenic Play:

Life of Pi- prediction/my pick

Scenic Musical:

New York, NY- prediction 

Some Like it Hot- my pick 

Costumes Play:

Leopoldstadt- prediction/my pick

Costumes Musical:

Parade- prediction 

Some Like it Hot- my pick

Lighting Play:

Lighting Musical:

Some Like it Hot- prediction/my pick 

Sound Design Play:

Sound Design Musical:

& Juliet- prediction/my pick

Direction Play:

Saheem Ali (Fat Ham)- prediction/my pick

Direction Musical:

Michael Arden (Parade)- prediction/my pick

Best Choreography:

Casey Nicholaw (Some Like it Hot) prediction/my pick 

Best Orchestrations:

Kimberly Akimbo- prediction 

& Juliet- my pick 

Best Play:

Leopoldstadt- prediction 

Ain’t No Mo’- my pick 

Best Musical:

Some Like it Hot- prediction/my pick 

Revival Play:

A Doll’s House- prediction/my pick

Revival Musical:

Parade- prediction 

Into the Woods- my pick 

Jumpin_J
#272The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:22am

Personally, the Tonys are a fraud and showed how awful they are this year. I'm sorry, but Death Of A Salesman was amazing. It took risks that no other revival did with incredible performances from Wendall Pierce and especially Sharon D Clarke. It got great reviews. So what do the Tony people do to acknowledge this? One nomination to Wendall and a tech nomination? Are you (bleeping) kidding me? What a slap in the face. Instead, they put in Sidney's Burnstien Window? Does anyone honestly believe that all the nominators got in to see it two days before the "cut off" date which is now meaningless? The nominating committee should be ashamed and embarrassed. I certainly have zero interest in watching the show. I'll read the recap the morning after. Let them sell their $3000 orchestra seats and have people shlep up and back from the Heights. Shame. On. Them. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#273The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:24am

I’m thrilled with the three nominations for KPOP. Very deserved. This is also the first time an Asian woman is nominated for Original Score.

I was hoping to see Alli Mauzey sneak into Featured Actress. I probably would have put Soo in over Lester for Into the Woods. Also sad about Dancin’ getting zero noms.

Happy Ain’t No Mo’ and Cost of Living were remembered.

Kimberly Akimbo is still the one to beat since it wasn’t really competitive or flashy in the design categories or choreography like the other shows.

Steven Hoggett getting in for Sweeney and not A Beautiful Noise is telling.

Puppet designs are now Tony-nominated costumes.

Overall, while there are snubs and surprises (wow, seven nominations in Lighting Design of a Play?), these nominations are all deserved. Many left off for sure, but happy for those who did get in.

chrishuyen
#274The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:44am

I was also quite happy about Cost of Living, which I think missed a lot of people's predictions list.  Also ecstatic about KPOP (I was hoping for 2 nominations, but 3 is wonderful).  I thought Sharon D. Clarke was tremendous and deserved to be nominated, but I don't know who I would remove instead, though I was surprised that more of the acting categories didn't tie.  NYNY getting a book nomination was probably my biggest surprise, and I wonder if they actually liked the book or if they just didn't like A Beautiful Noise.

When are the special Tony awards usually announced?  Curious if the puppets for Life of Pi/Milky White could get recognized there a la King Kong or if they'd go a different route.

Videos