News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4- Page 4

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#75BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/10/23 at 8:04am

It will certainly be different. Whether it’s ‘improved’ or not has yet to be seen.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

lotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
#76BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/10/23 at 8:11am

If it's anything like the London production, it's utter garbage.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#77BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/10/23 at 8:44am

Linedy said on Instagram that this is more of a pop single and that the version in the show is different. Just thought I would mention!

chrishuyen
#78BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/10/23 at 1:47pm

Hate to judge just based on this song (especially if it's gonna be different in the show), but I feel like Linedy's voice seems a little weak on the higher notes?  I'm still interested to see what changes they've made though, as I didn't hate the West End production but definitely thought it needed some edits.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#79BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/10/23 at 1:50pm

Not a fan of that “single”. It did make me wonder though if they’re taking a different direction with the songs and making them more “pop” sounding than they originally did. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#80BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/10/23 at 3:34pm

Have to agree that the tracks don’t sound as polished as the London cast.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#81BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/10/23 at 3:39pm

Well these tracks are definitely targeted for a different audience and hoping for some air play.  Will be curious to hear it with a full orchestra/orchestrations.

BETTY22
#82BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/10/23 at 3:44pm

They are def going the pop route with this show in USA.

Although, it is almost impossible to get top 100 radio stations to play music from Broadway. Even Hamilton songs couldn't get into the rotation on Z100

Updated On: 2/10/23 at 03:44 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#83BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/10/23 at 3:48pm

I hate to say it, but based on the two released tracks, I am just not loving Linedy Gene's voice... it sounds weak and nasally.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

binau Profile Photo
binau
#84BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/10/23 at 3:48pm

I personally love the new sound and I don’t mind if the vocals are a little weaker - Carrie Hope IMO was too good/too pure for me. Felt like she was more just a vehicle for ALW to have his songs sung well than really thinking what a quirky ‘bad’ Cinderella character would sound like (at least in my vision of the world). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#85BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/10/23 at 5:51pm

I don't think I realized this had 6 weeks of previews. It'll be interesting to see if/how it evolves during that period. And only 7 shows a week in previews, so they'll be able to rehearse Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri daytimes. Updated On: 2/10/23 at 05:51 PM

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#86BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/10/23 at 6:19pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't I Know I Have a Heart Because You Broke It the title of a cut song for the Tin Man from in the last act Wizard of Oz ? 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#87BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/10/23 at 10:46pm

Lola Getz2 said: "Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't I Know I Have a Heart Because You Broke It the title of a cut song for the Tin Man from in the last act Wizard of Oz ?"

You’re wrong. You’re thinking of the line, “Now I know I have a heart, because it’s breaking.” There was no second song for the Tin Man.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#88BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/11/23 at 2:19am

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "You’re wrong. You’re thinking of the line, “Now I know I have a heart, because it’s breaking.” There was no second song for the Tin Man."

Maybe there was one in the Webber Wizard of Oz and it got repurposed for Cinderella.

Midnight Radio
#89BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/11/23 at 7:17am

The Broadway Cinderella so far sounds like a major step-down from Carrie Hope Fletcher on the West End

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#90BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/11/23 at 9:14am

No disrespect to Linedy, but I prefer Carrie's version over this one 100%. This song worked better as a ballad. I just don't like how these songs, some of which are really good, are being turned into pop renditions. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Tom5
#91BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/11/23 at 10:47am

Bad Cinderella sounds like something that should be playing off-off Broadway. 

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#92BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/11/23 at 10:50am

I reaaaaally don’t like to prejudge things, especially out of context and having not seen the whole product, but it’s disappointing - after listening to that new song - that we’re getting Disney channel original movie level songwriting from the same man who wrote “as if we never said goodbye.”

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#93BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/11/23 at 11:01am

Any clue when the alternate will be on for Cinderella ?

yyys
#94BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/11/23 at 11:27am

ALW didnt write the lyrics..

musikman said "...that we’re getting Disney channel original movie level songwriting from the same man who wrote “as if we never said goodbye.”"

Updated On: 2/11/23 at 11:27 AM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#95BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/11/23 at 11:37am

musikman said: "I reaaaaally don’t like to prejudge things, especially out of context and having not seen the whole product, but it’s disappointing - after listening to that new song - that we’re getting Disney channel original movie level songwriting from the same man who wrote “as if we never said goodbye.”"

Cinderella and Norma Desmond is a very apples to orange combination. Even Sondheim’s On The Steps of The Palace for THAT Cinderella is different than As If We Never Said Goodbye. 

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#96BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/11/23 at 11:49am

I hate to say it, because she seems like a very talented and nice girl... but Linedy is absolutely miscast in this role.

See, CHF worked in it because we're supposed to believe this Ella is a misfit and loner that doesn't fit into the idea of Belleville... and unfortunately Linedy looks like another ingenue with some eyeliner and an attitude--- which doesn't fit the bill.

(Note: Everytime I see her decking out and painting her dressing room on insta... all I can think is......How long do you think the show will be in there?)

That being said, the single is bad. There's no way around it. Voice doesn't work for the song. Lyrics don't work for the song. Song doesn't work. He lost me at "I was so not naive" .... like BRO let the BMI kids write the show at this point! Someone on Twitter said they actually heard this song, cancelled their tickets for BC and chose a different show to see... so yeah. I'll leave that there.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#97BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/11/23 at 11:55am

yyys said: "ALW didnt write the lyrics..

musikman said "...that we’re getting Disney channel original movie level songwriting from the same man who wrote “as if we never said goodbye.”"

"

Sorry. Should have said composed.  *shrug*

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

inception Profile Photo
inception
#98BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/11/23 at 12:04pm

Voter said: 
 Someone on Twitter said they actually heard this song, cancelled their tickets for BC and chose a different show to see... so yeah. I'll leave that there."

Can you even do that?  Sounds like an exaggeration. 

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#99BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/11/23 at 12:06pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "musikman said: "I reaaaaally don’t like to prejudge things, especially out of context and having not seen the whole product, but it’s disappointing - after listening to that new song - that we’re getting Disney channel original movie level songwriting from the same man who wrote “as if we never said goodbye.”"

Cinderella and Norma Desmond is a very apples to orange combination. Even Sondheim’s On The Steps of The Palace for THAT Cinderella is different than As If We Never Said Goodbye.
"

Jesus Christ Superstar and Phantom of the Opera couldn’t be more different stylistically, but the quality of each is extremely high.   The quality of this Bad Cinderella song is…not.  What I’m trying to say is, I’m expecting more from someone who is capable of composing the former two, but we’re getting …whatever I just listened to.  

And hmmmm…curious how Sondheim and on the steps of the palace fits in to the analogy when I’m comparing ALW’s current work to his former work.  

Videos