Jessica Simpson "The Music and The Mirror"

Jessica Simpson "The Music and The Mirror"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1Jessica Simpson "The Music and The Mirror"
Posted: 5/30/13 at 11:39pm

From a high school production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCHy7vUwhFQ

This is making the rounds on the internet. Sure, she's a little too perky, and the random belted FOR YOU is a bit much. But I actually think it's impressive for a high schooler.

Updated On: 5/30/13 at 11:39 PM

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#2Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/30/13 at 11:46pm

I just can't with her vowels...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/30/13 at 11:47pm

I've seen younger strippers.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

sephyr
#3Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/30/13 at 11:49pm

I need an mp3 now lol!!! I love her and this. She has a set of lungs on her that's for sure. I don't know about the choreography but she gave it her best. I would love to see her on stage more.

jackieoh Profile Photo
jackieoh
#4Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/30/13 at 11:53pm

I was overwhelmed by how in-your-face it is, but I was pleasantly surprised. For a high school production? It was solid.

Visceral_Fella
#5Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/30/13 at 11:56pm

Bearing in mind that this was high school, I'd say that this is good. The singing is very in your face, but all the potential is there. Just a lot of bad vocal habits, especially with the vowels as Wynbish pointed out. She was only a teenager though.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#6Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 12:50am

That was surprisingly ... not horrible.

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#7Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 1:08am

"Bearing in mind that this was high school, I'd say that this is good. The singing is very in your face, but all the potential is there. Just a lot of bad vocal habits, especially with the vowels as Wynbish pointed out. She was only a teenager though."

She was trying her hardest to sound like "Introducing Whitney Houston as Cassie!", but tons of talent in that little girl.

Now how much do you want to bet that Joe Simpson helped Jessica with the dance portions. And I wonder if it was Joe or her director that told her to indicate every other word with her hands.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#8Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 2:09am

ljay, thanks so much for posting this, I knew she was in A Chorus Line, but they just played 2 seconds of her rendition of this song on her "Driven" episode on VH1.

I said it before and I'll say it again, she's super talented. I'm a fan of hers and I'm impressed.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#9Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 6:00am

Then, of course, there's the acting ...

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Hex3 Profile Photo
Hex3
#10Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 6:21am

Talk about over singing. Yeesh

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#11Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 7:01am

What's up with the constant outstretched arms? Is she playing Cassie or Evita?

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#12Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 7:14am

Where did that vocal power go! It's so much better then the technique she has now, which should be exactly the opposite- she became a pop star and forgot how to sing. Better then the baby voice, her early recordings showed so much more promise then he more recent ones.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#13Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 9:42am

The high note at 2:55 makes it worth watching.

mpd4165
#14Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 10:30am

Carlos-welcome to a majority of high school acting.

I was more horrified by the choreography than her acting and singing.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#15Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 10:34am

Well it's clear why she became so famous. I really had no idea she had the singing ability featured here. It's kind of shocking.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#16Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 10:34am

Very impressive for high school. I've never seen someone that good on a high school stage. She's really gorgeous and talented. It's a shame all that has gotten lost in vapid discussions about her weight. She's a solid vocalist who can actually sing.

I'm sure she had a lot of haters in high school too based on that performance.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#17Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 10:49am

She should def come to bway for Elphaba.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#18Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 11:44am

well, it wasn't terrible. dancing wise, she has good technique, but the choreography was all over the place.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#19Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 1:15pm

Are you all REALLY critiquing someones high school performance from maybe 13+ years ago? This is the kind of time you've got on your hands? #GetYOURLife

Facebook...ME !!!

#20Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 2:05pm

When was this song ever in 'Showgirls'?

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#21Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 2:12pm

I was such a fan of her first CD. She had the power she has in this video, and I remember thinking she was so much better than Britney and Christina. I always thought it was her label that pushed her to sing more songs similar to theirs, and it changed her manner of singing.

She lost me when she butchered a Robbie Williams song I adored.

For comparison: 1st single off 1st album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bJ0F8KhhZ8

1st single off 2nd album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qCDypgAV_E

JRybka1611
#22Jessica Simpson

I have to say that being a HS production it wasn't bad at all. I could see where she has her "talent" -- that being said, it is a shame that whoever gave her singing lessons after this messed with her voice. She was (even for HS) so much better.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#23Jessica Simpson

I forgot how hot she used to be.

Wilmingtom
#24Jessica Simpson
Posted: 5/31/13 at 2:15pm

I think Cassie in brown slacks is an...interesting choice.