pixeltracker

Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17- Page 2

Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#25Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 12:15pm

suicidalmickeymouse said: "Also, when is Tammy leaving? I hope I caught her on a bad night but I have never ever heard such awful vocals."

You didn't catch her on a bad night.

samtaro111
#26Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 12:17pm

Shubert Alley Cat said: "Interesting . . . JJ has concerts scheduled in Kansas City on March 23, 24, and 25. Guess those are not happening now. While I am not attending, I have some students who are looking forward to this concert (and it's already been pushed back to this date from last fall)."

He's been moving his concerts a lot lately because of scheduling conflicts. For his 54 Below show in NYC, he moved it from August 2019 to November 2019 and then he moved the concert again to February 2020. 

I always pity those who fly in for these types of things and buy plane tickets. I feel bad for your students. 

Updated On: 2/5/20 at 12:17 PM

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#27Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 1:42pm

In honor of this momentous announcement, I will link the video I took at 54 Below of Jeremy and Betsy Wolfe singing "Suddenly Seymour" last March.

At the time I did not know that Jeremy was every fangirl's heartthrob. I innocently uploaded it to YouTube just for personal use and was surprised to find that 18 hours later it had 4000 views.

That object that Jeremy grabs at the end to Betsy's distress is her diary, used as a prop in an earlier number.

Jeremy Jordan and Betsy Wolfe sing "Suddenly Seymour" March, 2019

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#28Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 1:59pm

I’m happy for Jordan, and I’m sure he’ll do a great job. I’m just confused over how Seymour has become the hottest man in all of musical theatre.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#29Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 2:35pm

This argument continues to befuddle me... let’s look at some of the major Seymours throughout the years, shall we?

Seymour was played by Jonathan Haze in the 1960 original, “The Little Shop of Horrors.”
In 1982, we had Lee Wilkof open the Off-Broadway transfer at the Orpheum Theatre.
In 1986, Rick Moranis in the most notable and critically/audience acclaimed cult film version.
In 2003, we had Hunter Foster in Seymour’s shoes in the New York revival and first Broadway production of the show.
In 2006, Paul Keating took on the role in the West End.
In 2015, Jake Gyllenhaal blessed us all with his Seymour in the New York City Center Encores production.
In 2019/2020, we are blessed yet again with the current Off-Broadway revival starring Jonathan Groff/Gideon Glick/Jeremy Jordan.
So...... all that being said...... when was Seymour ever NOT a "hot leading man"? Maybe not conventionally or like any of the muscled giants floating around Broadway in recent years, but Seymour has always been “hot”. Cute and nerdy maybe but also hot. I realize this can be boiled down to an argument of taste or personal attraction, but there’s no denying that the brilliant actors who have filled Seymour’s shoes over the years were all good looking and handsome. 

Any other questions?

Updated On: 2/5/20 at 02:35 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#30Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 2:41pm

Just saw Jordan at his concert in Rahway, NJ. Lots of "fangirling" going on there and it was a bit much at times. I mean, go for it while he was single , but the man is married now, BACK OFF!!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#31Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 4:07pm

I've seen both Seymours so far and would happily go back to see a third take, but...I really would like to see a new Audrey as well. Tammy Blanchard is very talented, but this material just isn't suiting her gifts. 

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#32Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 4:17pm

A band of gold is not going to stop those idiots screaming their faces off at the most inappropriate time during a concert---it's all about Notice Me !!

and how could you [anyone] lie next to that gorgeous man every night and not say 'don't just lie there, sing to me'.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#33Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 4:46pm

@GreasedLightning

I think that a few of the key examples you chose to include don't exactly help your point. Rick Moranis and Lee Wilkoff, the two most notable portrayals of the role as in exists in the musical, were....how should I put it....not exactly people who are known for playing hunky leading men. I wouldn't consider them to be the same casting "type" as Gyllenhall, Groff, and Jordan. 

As you, and others (including myself, actually) pointed out earlier, Groff and Gyllenhaal have proven that the show still works fine with a more traditionally attractive male lead. But given some of the early portrayals of the role, and the way he is written, I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to react with surprise when someone like Jeremy Jordan is cast. 

I also think (and this is a slightly different topic), that casting someone like Jeremy Jordan as Seymour is yet another example of the musical theatre community homogenizing the type of people we see onstage. That's a larger issue though, and not a criticism of Jordan himself. 

But we can agree to disagree. Feel free to respond if you want, but this will be my last post on this topic (unless something I said was worded poorly and needs clarifying)  

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#34Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 5:10pm

Unless the author specifically states that the role of Seymour shall ONLY be play by a white, slender nerdy type then cast anyone who is age appropriate and can act and sing the role.

More people have seen the film Seymour so judge the role by that type and let's not even mention the female lead for fear this post will be removed like a previous one supporting Dollypop and asking a question about Sutton Foster re Jerry Herman.

Updated On: 2/5/20 at 05:10 PM

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#35Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 6:10pm

Little Shop fills the final slot for my NYC visit in March/April. My nephew's husband was Jeremy's dresser for Bonnie And Clyde and Newsies so I'll probably get to meet him (again) pre-performance on 4/1. Also, my hotel is practically adjacent to the theatre. NOT for stalking purposes. !o!

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#36Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 6:11pm

JBroadway said: "@GreasedLightning

I think that a fewof the key examples you chose to include don't exactly help your point.Rick Moranis and Lee Wilkoff, the two most notable portrayals of the roleas inexists in the musical, were....how should I put it....not exactly people who are known for playing hunky leading men. I wouldn't consider them to be the same casting "type" as Gyllenhall, Groff, and Jordan.

As you, and others (including myself, actually) pointed out earlier, Groff and Gyllenhaal have proven that the show still works fine with a more traditionally attractive male lead.But given some of the early portrayals of the role, and the way he is written, I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to react with surprise when someone like Jeremy Jordan is cast.

I also think (and this is a slightly different topic), that casting someone like Jeremy Jordan asSeymour is yet another example of the musical theatre community homogenizing the type of people we see onstage. That's a larger issue though, and not a criticism of Jordan himself.

But we can agree to disagree. Feel free to respond if you want, but this will be my last post on this topic (unless something I said was worded poorly and needs clarifying)
"

Yeah, no offense to Moranis or Wilkof, but I think this is probably the first time I’ve ever heard one of them being referred to as hot. They’re talented actors and seem like nice guys, but hot seems to be stretching it. I’m saying they’re ugly, but they are very, very far from the contentions leading man (Wilkof was already bald by the time he played the part). As for the other actors mentioned, Jonathon Haze, I think the circumstances of his appearance shouldn’t really factor in to how Seymour looks in the show, since the musical’s it’s own thing (and has eclipsed the original movie). As for Forster and Keating, both of them are decent looking guys, but not to the extent of people like Groff, Jordan, and Gyllenhaal, who are all undeniably hot. Gyllenhaal actually covered up his looks pretty well. He looked very messy, and the big, shaggy beard distracted from his handsome face. Groff was put into unflattering clothes, but it didn’t hide the fact that he’s a very good looking man, especially when you add his dreamy tenor voice into the mix. He played the role well, but when someone’s as gorgeous as Jonathon Groff, chances are they’re not gonna as horribly insecure as Seymour. I’m not saying they can’t play the role, but it can be distracting, even if they do it well. Imagine a production of Merchant of Venice where Shylock has blonde hair and blue eyes. The actor may do a good job, but their appearance will still be at least a little distracting.

BdwayLife
#37Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 6:36pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Oh Jesus.

Just take all my money, LSOH.
"

lol

I was wondering how to spend the last night (a Sunday) of my upcoming May trip. :)  Came home from work and read this.  I’ve been DYING to see JJ...in anything!  Saw Newsies too late, and Waitress too early.  Just purchased a $78 ticket to that night’s performance.   Got an awesome aisle seat on the left, and knowing how intimate that space is, it’s a great seat.  

So far, I have tickets for: Moulin Rouge, Diana, Mrs. Doubtfire, WSS, and LSOH.  I need to pick a Saturday matinee.  Can’t decide! 

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#38Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 6:58pm

What are they paying Seymourss over there?

And when the hell does the shirtless scene go in?

MollyJeanneMusic
#39Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 8:13pm

For all you wondering about the "unattractive" factor, it immediately brought to mind for me something Julian Fellowes said about casting Laura Carmichael as Edith Crawley in Downton Abbey.  I can't think of the exact wording, but to paraphrase, he basically said that you shouldn't cast an "ugly" person as an "ugly" character.  I'll see if I can find where he said it.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
#40Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 8:18pm

MollyJeanneMusic said: "For all you wondering about the "unattractive" factor, it immediately brought to mind for me something Julian Fellowes said about casting Laura Carmichael as Edith Crawley in Downton Abbey. I can't think of the exact wording, but to paraphrase, he basically said that you shouldn't cast an "ugly" person as an "ugly" character. I'll see if I can find where he said it."

Sounds like he meant nasty rather than unattractive for the character definition though. I could be wrong. But it’s more fun if your audience are conflicted by being superficially attracted to a hot villan.

mpkie
#41Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 8:34pm

Beyond THRILLED! I definitely dreamcasted him in this. I've been waiting so long to see Jeremy in a musical (lead in a musical -- Waitress wasn't worth the ticket price since I don't like that show).

Didn't want to sleep on it so grabbed a ticket for the first week of April. Now I only wish that Megan Hilty or Laura Osnes could be his counterpart. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#42Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 9:05pm

Damn it. I was looking to only see this with Glick, but now I have to go a second time!

I love Jeremy Jordan. I didn’t particularly care for his Dr Pomatter, but he was still a nice piece of eye candy. He’s also the only reason (besides Megan Hilty) that I religiously watched season 2 of SMASH.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#43Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 9:52pm

As an "ugly" character actor myself I hate to see these roles go to anyone could solo with the Skivvies or headline a Broadway Bares. There are wonderful actors out there not getting their shot. And I don't buy the "best actor for the part" argument because it doesn't flip the other way. Try casting a young Lee Wilkoff type as Groff's role in Spring Awakening or Jordan's role in Newsies and hold an umbrella against all the garbage the internet will throw at them, regardless of how well they sing or act it. The idea that "hot can play anything" is really just saying "hot can sell tickets to anything."

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 2/5/20 at 09:52 PM

Zion24
#44Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/5/20 at 10:00pm

GreasedLightning said: "JBroadway said: "Seems a bit too hunky for the role.

When *clap* will *clap* this *clap* argument *clap* die!

"

Clapping along with you. I appreciate the excellent point that it doesnt work the other way (the traditionally nonattractive dont get roles...), but that presumes Seymour is meant to be ugly. He isnt. Hes meant to be a nerd, a dweeb, a geek. When I was in 10th grade I thought those types were gross and had cooties but now were adults and we know different. Right? 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#45Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 12:07am

I hope this runs long enough so that we get another Audrey. I am a big fan of Tammy Blanchard and her take on the role seems very intriguing. But I can’t sit through this show and hear it not be sung as it should be.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#46Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 12:08am

Let Seymour be a role for the unconventional looking actor for god’s sake. I really think the way they’ve been casting this production is STUNNINGLY annoying.

The whole point is it’s cute Audrey falls for him. Why WOULDN’T she fall for Jeremy Jordan?

I mean Jeremy Jordan is better suited for the dentist if anyone.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#47Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 12:32am

This doesn't excite me.

He'll oversing it.  As he does many things.

Can't they make an INTERESTING casting choice?  Blanchard was interesting (albeit, not quite there in the vocals dept).

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#48Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 12:39am

Hoping we will get a new Audrey when he starts. Would love to see Betsy Wolfe or Megan Hilty. Love this casting. 

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#49Jeremy Jordan to join LSOH beginning March 17
Posted: 2/6/20 at 1:07am

I think Seymour is meant to be “cute” and “adorkable” but not hot. It’s in the text “Still that Seymour’s a cutie. Well, if not, he’s got inner beauty” This would imply that Seymour is not very attractive. There’s also a line where Audrey says “and a sweet little guy, like Seymour” which would imply that he’s small or meek. There’s even “The Meek Shall Inherit” I think it’s hard to watch these ungodly hot men play this role. I saw Jake Gyllenhaal and Johnathan Groff do it, and both times I found their good looks to be untrue to the role. So Jordan in the Off-Broadway show and Taron Egerton rumors for the movie remake are not accurate casting in my opinion. Nor do I think they fit the intent that the creators had for Seymour.

"In here, life is beautiful"
Updated On: 2/6/20 at 01:07 AM