pixeltracker

Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?

Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 12:32pm

As Heather Headley's concert at Carnegie Hall approaches, I was thinking about the 2016 Tonys. Would her triumphant return to Broadway have been enough to beat Renée Elise Goldsberry, or was Hamilton too much of an unstoppable force that year, with only Cynthia Erivo able to prevent a sweep of the acting categories?

I don't usually post hypothetical questions like this, but I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.

Updated On: 1/25/23 at 12:32 PM

Ke3
#2Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 12:39pm

She got raves, but I think Renée still would've won. I don't think anything could've stopped the sweep. The fever was too high*. Maybe I'm wrong though. There was love for her performance and a comeback narrative is always a pretty strong awards strategy.

*I always yell at the clouds about Hamilton winning choreography which it absolutely did not deserve.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 12:42pm

No. This was always Renee's award.

Though I think many of us were predicting Hamilton to not win QUITE as many awards as it did –– among them costumes and choreography (both could have been awarded to Shuffle Along), and scenic design (which it did lose to David Rockwell for She Loves Me).

I think some people also hoped that Lin & Leslie would split the vote, thus allowing Danny Burstein to win for FIDDLER, but that was never gonna happen. Alex Brightman might have had a better chance of winning than him.

Chase Miller
#4Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 12:45pm

I think she would have won. She was THAT good.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#5Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 12:48pm

Ke3 said: "She got raves, but I think Renée still would've won. I don't think anything could've stopped the sweep. The fever was too high*. Maybe I'm wrong though. There was love for her performance and a comeback narrative is always a pretty strong awards strategy.

*I always yell at the clouds about Hamilton winning choreography which it absolutely did not deserve.
"

Agreed. "Hamilton" was pretty unstoppable. I also agree with you about the win for choreography. I found it to be repetitive and it got boring after about half an hour in. That award should have gone to Savion. The choreography in that show, in my opinion, was hands down the best that season. My jaw just dropped when Savion did not win.

Just give the world Love.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#6Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 1:04pm

No one could have taken that Tony from REG.

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#7Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 1:10pm

Having seen both performances (and Hudson, FWIW) I would’ve given it to Headley no question, and it’s not even close. REG was solid, had a commanding stage presence, and one of the best numbers. But what Headley did was next-level. 

Maybe it’s not fair to compare to Lead Actress because Erivo was such an undeniable powerhouse with a meatier role than Soo, but at the very least it demonstrated that they were willing to deviate from Hamilton when called for. And while I can’t confidently say that Headley would’ve won, I don’t think it was as much of a sure thing for REG as some seem to think. 

That was an exceptional year for choreography. I would’ve given it to Shuffle Along, partly because I’m not a huge fan of how the dance is used in Hamilton. But because it’s SO deeply integrated into the storytelling, I could understand voters feeling like Hamilton was the greater feat of CHOREO, even if Shuffle Along had the best DANCERS. So while I agree Shuffle Along should’ve won, the voters have some deniability with regards to whether it was just a coat-tail win for Hamilton vs. whether it was actually their favorite choreo. 

Jarethan
#8Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 1:16pm

I would have voted for REG, but I agree re Shuffle Along's choreography.  I have felt from the first viewing that Hamilton's weakness was that it was overstaged, and I think a lot of that issue was due to the CONSTANT choreography...for me, there as too much constant movement.  It was distracting from the story at times, but that is just me.  I was widely dissed when I said that 6 years ago.  

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#9Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 1:27pm

Heather Headly was incredible in The Color Purple but I agree with the rest that it was always going to be REG's Tony night.  Now, I do think that Heather should've played Bobbie in the revival of Company and she would've walked home with the Leading Actress Tony Award.  Would love to hear her sing that score and act the hell out of that role. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#10Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 1:55pm

I'm actually now wondering how great Heather Headley would be as Angelica in Hamilton. 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

JSquared2
#11Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 2:01pm

Valentina3 said: "I'm actually now wondering how great Heather Headley would be as Angelica in Hamilton."

No. She doesn't need to be the 18th replacement in a Hamilton company.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#12Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 2:18pm

JSquared2 said: "Valentina3 said: "I'm actually now wondering how great Heather Headley would be as Angelica in Hamilton."

No. She doesn't need to be the 18th replacement in a Hamilton company.
"

Girl chill I'm not saying she should go put her name in the hat to get cast or something. I meant if she was on OBC, I'd have loved to see her take.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#14Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 3:15pm

I also think it’s a bit harder to win once you’ve already got a Tony under your belt. Not undoable, obviously, but it’s definitely a factor. When voters are trying to split hairs and compare apples to oranges, the “Well she already has one” argument can be very persuasive.

QueenTwinnied
#15Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/25/23 at 9:27pm

Possibly. Heather's take on Shug Avery was....otherwordly. I still think often about how great she was.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#16Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 6:39am

I think Renee would surely have been unstoppable. It’s not just an award for the performance but a brand new role in an iconic show with one of the best songs in the score (which was truly innovative the way they navigated the complexities and subtext as well as the different musical ideas, which also appeal to a wide audience). I hate to feed Lin Manuel’s ego or the hype of the show but yes it was that good. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/26/23 at 06:39 AM

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#17Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 7:35am

binau said: "I think Renee would surely have been unstoppable. It’s not just an award for the performance but a brand new role in an iconic show with one of the best songs in the score (which was truly innovative the way they navigated the complexities and subtext as well as the different musical ideas, which also appeal to a wide audience). I hate to feed Lin Manuel’s ego or the hype of the show but yes it was that good."

Agreed. It's easy with HAMILTON to take it for granted that everything it accomplished was just there before, had been done before. But "Satisfied," with its rewinding and it's shifts in perspective, not to mention rapping, was hugely innovative. It simply hadn't been done before. And Renee killed with it.

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#18Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 1/26/23 at 9:14am

Agree that the Tony would've likely gone to Renee, but the pairing of Cynthia Erivo and Heather Headley (who I saw in maybe her 2nd performance) was one of the top experiences of my decades of theater-going.  They were both phenomenal and really elevated the material.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#19Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 12/10/23 at 11:33pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I think some people also hoped that Lin & Leslie would split the vote, thus allowing Danny Burstein to win for FIDDLER, but that was never gonna happen. Alex Brightman might have had a better chance of winning than him."

Well, Michael Riedel did report in his column that a number of voters he met with actually picked Danny.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#20Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 12/11/23 at 12:31am

I myself fairly in tune with critics and what the general consensus of a show is, but Cynthia Erivo in the Color Purple remains an outskirt for me. Perhaps I saw an off night (twice) but I never understood the acclaim for her performance. Danielle Brooks was the star in my eyes. But hey, what do I know. 

Hudson was miscast (she is a Sophia), Headley gave a great performance. I don’t think she would have won, but certainly would have been nominated. 

MrJNLong
#21Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 12/11/23 at 1:02am

Oh gosh Headley was very very good. So was Goldsberry. Yikes. Thats close.  And I bet the voting would have been close.  If it were me, I would probably have voted for Headley, but since she already had a Tony, I bet that would have tipped the scales a bit towards REG and she would still have won. Who knows though, since these things can be so much about narrative...

As for choreography, I was very glad they gave it to Hamilton.  It was the one I was hoping they would get the most.  I understand the arguments that it was over-choreographed, but I didn't think so...and I think it advanced the art of storytelling through movement a bit.  Shuffle had amazing choreography and dancing as well.  If they had a best dancing award and a best choreography award, I would have given the former to Shuffle, and the latter to Hamilton...but since they only give out choreography, I'm glad Blankenbuehler got it.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#22Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 12/11/23 at 7:07am

I always wonder if Heather went to Broadway with Into the Woods if anything might have happened differently (buzz, award nominations at least). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#23Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?
Posted: 12/11/23 at 9:30am

TaffyDavenport said: "As Heather Headley's concert at Carnegie Hall approaches, I was thinking about the 2016 Tonys. Would her triumphant return to Broadway have been enough to beat Renée Elise Goldsberry, or was Hamilton too much of an unstoppable force that year, with only Cynthia Erivo able to prevent a sweep of the acting categories?

I don't usually post hypothetical questions like this, but I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.

"

Headly was easily the best performance I saw that season, so I'd hope so.