News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread- Page 6

2022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread

Broadway61004
#1252022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/12/23 at 2:42pm

JSquared2 said: "Broadway61004 said: "JSquared2 said: "It doesn't seem to say whetherRiverside and Crazyis a new play or a revival?"

I assume this means it's considered new. Since it's its Broadway debut, they would have had to specify that it was being considered a revival if that's how they were going.
"

Possibly -- but not necessarily. Recent examples likeWaverly Gallery, This is Our YouthandWiTwere all considered revivals -- even though they were making their Broadway debuts (and would not be considered "classics".
"

Right, but when the administration committee met, they specified at that time that those were being considered revivals. So that's what I'm saying--since they said Henderson was leading but didn't comment on anything else, presumably that means they've decided to go with "it's a new play", otherwise they would have said something along the lines of "it's been deemed a classic so will be eligible for revival".

AEA AGMA SM
#1262022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/12/23 at 3:09pm

JSquared2 said: "Possibly -- but not necessarily. Recent examples likeWaverly Gallery, This is Our YouthandWiTwere all considered revivals -- even though they were making their Broadway debuts (and would not be considered "classics"."

Waverly Gallery premiered Off-Broadway in 2000, after a 1999 run at Williamstown. It opened on Broadway in 2018, so nearly 20 years after its original production.

This Is Our Youth was similar, originally opening Off-Broadway in 1996 and not opening on Broadway until 2014. 

Wit premiered at South Coast Rep in 1995, opened Off-Broadway in 1998, and didn’t premiere on Broadway until 2012. 

All of these had stagings at major companies in between, as well as Wit receiving a television adaptation. While Between Riverside and Crazy has also received some stagings with regional companies, at only 8 years between its original production and the opening of its Broadway production, it just, to me, feels a little more appropriate calling it a new play, in terms of awards, than the other three you mentioned. 
​​​

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1282022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 1:49pm

https://www.tonyawards.com/news/tony-awards-eligibility-for-2023-part-3/

The productions discussed today were: Life of Pi; Shucked; Fat Ham; Lerner & Loewe’s Camelot; Peter Pan Goes Wrong; The Thanksgiving Play; Prima Facie; Good Night, Oscar; Summer, 1976; New York, New York; and The Sign in Sidney Brustein’s Window.

The committee made the following determinations:

Hiran Abeysekera will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading role in a Play category for his performance in Life of Pi.

Tim Hatley and Andrzej Goulding will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Scenic Design of a Play category for their work on Life of Pi.

Tim Hatley, Nick Barnes and Finn Caldwell will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Costume Design of a Play category for their work on Life of Pi.

Caroline Innerbichler will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical category for her performance in Shucked.

Marcel Spears will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play category for his performance in Fat Ham.

Aaron Sorkin will be considered eligible in the Best Book of a Musical category for his work on Lerner & Loewe’s Camelot.

Andrew Burnap and Phillipa Soo will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor/Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical for their respective performances in Lerner & Loewe’s Camelot.

Michael Yeargan and 59 Productions will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Scenic Design of a Musical category for their work on Lerner & Loewe’s Camelot.

Riccardo Hernandez and David Bengali will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Scenic Design of a Play category for their work on The Thanksgiving Play.

Laura Linney and Jessica Hecht will each be considered eligible in the Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play category for their respective performances in Summer, 1976.

John Lee Beatty and Hana S. Kim will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Scenic Design of a Play for their work on Summer, 1976.

Colton Ryan and Anna Uzele will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by a Leading Actor/Actress in a Musical categories for their respective performances in New York, New York.

All other eligibility will be consistent with the opening night credits.

Updated On: 4/28/23 at 01:49 PM

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#1292022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 1:53pm

No word on NY,NY's eligibility in Best Score?

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#1302022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 2:03pm

Happy to see Sorkin’s Camelot book be eligible. I don’t think it will win. I’m rooting for David Lindsay-Abaire for Kimberly Akimbo all the way!  

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1312022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 2:05pm

noahseestheatre said: "No word on NY,NY's eligibility in Best Score?"

That's what I came here to ask. Hopefully the NYT or someone will do some reporting on this matter before Tuesday.

Beyond that, no shockers.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#1322022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 2:05pm

noahseestheatre said: "No word on NY,NY's eligibility in Best Score?"

Based on the history of past rulings, I am using the Apr 27, 2012 announcement which featured Once and Newsies for a reference. In it they only announced Once's score would not be deemed eligible with no mention of Newsies. There was also no mention of Aladdin's score when it was deemed eligible. Thus I have to assume its been deemed eligible, but I am amazed we didn't even at least get a citation that Lin Manuel Miranda's will be jointly eligible for Best Original Score alongside Kander and Ebb. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#1332022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 2:54pm

Word is that the producers submitted the NEW YORK, NEW YORK score, so without a message saying it was deemed ineligible, sounds like they accepted the submission.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Fordham2015
#1342022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 3:15pm

According to Caitlin Huston at the Hollywood Reporter, NY NY is not eligible for score

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#1352022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 3:16pm

I swear the Tonys are DETERMINED to make finding out info as difficult as possible in these announcements. Obviously the big question mark everyone was waiting on is New York New York's score. But they don't even mention it! They instead make everyone make inferences and speculation based upon past precedent. 

It's already bad enough the way they format these decisions. Aka being based on opening night billing (which casual folk dont pay attention to and wont know unless they have a playbill or go check Playbill Vault). Hence there are people every announcement saying  things like "Wait, why are only Colton Ryan and Anna Uzele eligible from NY, NY. What about the rest of the cast?" Comments like that are on Broadway.com every single announcement. The Tony admin could instead release a list of who is eligible where, or somehow make their decisions clearer. But they continue with a process that is deliberately confusing and only intelligible to people "in the know."

Updated On: 4/28/23 at 03:16 PM

DCS
#1362022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 3:18pm

Fordham2015 said: "According to Caitlin Huston at the Hollywood Reporter, NY NY is not eligible for score"

And where exactly is Caitlin Huston getting this information?

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#1372022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 3:32pm

DCS said: "Fordham2015 said: "According to Caitlin Huston at the Hollywood Reporter, NY NY is not eligible for score"

"

Yeah... seems like she might be misinterpreting the press release

JSquared2
#1382022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 3:36pm

Fordham2015 said: "According to Caitlin Huston at the Hollywood Reporter, NY NY is not eligible for score"

Rule #1:  Never trust anyone named Caitlin (or Caitlyn, Kaitlin, Kaitlyn, Kaytln, etc. etc.).

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#1392022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 3:41pm

Yeah she doesn’t credit any source. I believe she’s taking the lack of mention as an exclusion, but as mentioned below there was no mention of NEWSIES or ALADDIN. It is kind of wild that Fred Ebb will end up with another posthumous nomination, considering he (to my knowledge) did not write any *new* material for this production. The same thing happened with Howard Ashman on ALADDIN with his nomination.

If nominated, Fred Ebb will have received 4 posthumous nominations. I think he even has the record with 3 currently?

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

noahseestheatre
#1402022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 3:44pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "I sweat the Tonys are DETERMINED to make finding out info as difficult as possible in these announcements. Obviously the big question mark everyone was waiting on is New York New York's score. But they dont even mention it! They instead make everyone make inferences and speculation based upon past precedent.

It's already bad enough the way they format these decisions. Aka being based on opening night billing (which casual folk dont pay attention to and wont know unless they have a playbill or go check Playbill Vault). Hence there are people every announcement saying things like "Wait, why are only Colton Ryan and Anna Uzele eligible from NY, NY. What about the rest of the cast?" Comments like that are on BRoadway.com every single announcement. The Tony admin could instead release a list of who is eligible where, or somehow make their decisions clearer. But they continue with a process that is deliberately confusing and only intelligible to people "in the know."
"

Totally agree. the theatre community can be elitist anyways, why not communicate some things to the people who are interested and go see these shows? Ugh

JSquared2
#1412022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 3:49pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Happy to see Sorkin’s Camelot book be eligible. I don’t think it will win. I’m rooting for David Lindsay-Abaire for Kimberly Akimbo all the way!"

The only reason that Sorkin's book will sneak in and make the cut is because the NY, NY  and BAD CINDERELLA books are even worse.  Nominees for Best Book will likely be:

& JULIET

CAMELOT

KIMBERLY AKIMBO

SHUCKED

SOME LIKE IT HOT

noahseestheatre
#1422022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 4:11pm

DCS said: "Fordham2015 said: "According to Caitlin Huston at the Hollywood Reporter, NY NY is not eligible for score"

"

She replied to my tweet saying it was per a Tony Spokesperson, but who knows

chrishuyen
#1442022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 5:14pm

Are we definitely getting 5 nominees in score?  Assuming NYNY is not eligible, there are 6 new musicals with original score, and I believe Prima Facie, Life of Pi, and Leopoldstadt all had scores (there might be others too)

wickedwitch2
#1452022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 5:25pm

If it makes the cut, it would be Sorkin's first Tony nomination.  (Which would make for a great trivia question in about decade.)

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1462022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 5:28pm

So now, with New York, New York out of the running for Score, I think we’ll see Prima Facie and Life of Pi join Kimberly AkimboSome Like It Hot, and Shucked in this category. 

Oh look, a bibu!

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#1472022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 5:35pm

So Alex Newell is eligible as featured actor, not actress then? If so, I predict them winning and giving an acceptance speech that will basically make it impossible for the Tonys to continue having the acting categories divided by gender. If Ghee also wins, it will be an interesting night indeed.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#1482022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 5:47pm

The Tonys are the only NYC theater award left that still divides acting categories by gender. Yet there is a distinct possibility that 2 nonbinary individuals win this year. (I'm more bullish on Ghee's chances of actually winning than Newell's, but anything is possible).

As for Best Score: yes we will have five nominees. In addition to the plays already mentioned, others are credited with original scores, like Piano Lesson, Cost of Living, Death of a Salesman, etc. Those all expand the number of eligible contenders, even though they aren't musicals. So we will def have 5.

Life of Pi is for sure in I think. But I wonder if Score is the only nom that Bad Cinderella gets. It wasn't good, but there are certain nominators who could be tempted to give ALW a consolation prize due to his status and the incredibly brutal personal year he has endured. Also some may be tempted to nominate KPOP since it would be the first ever Asian woman nominated in this category (for the first score ever by an Asian woman on Broadway). I sort of think Prima Facie, Bad Cinderella, and KPOP all are on equal footing for that last slot.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#1492022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 5:57pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "So now, withNew York, New Yorkout of the running for Score, I think we’ll seePrima FacieandLife of PijoinKimberly Akimbo,Some Like It Hot,andShuckedin this category."

You think those two over Leopoldstadt? I have no skin in the game (and am seeing Life of Pi on Wednesday so don't know its score) but I am anticipating Leo being a real nominations darling wherever it can be.

Videos