News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

2024 Tony Awards

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#7502024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:45pm

Well I caught the opening number. I wish I didn’t. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#7512024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:45pm

HeyMrMusic said: "DramaTeach said: "I’m so confused. There was a pre-tape a couple of days ago with two supposedly huge broadway stars. What happened to that? Did they mean Rannells and Gad? Was their shtick pre-recorded?"

I figured it was the Jay-Z and Alicia Keys performance. Why else wouldn’t they bring Jay-Z out on stage?
"

Did we really need JayZ during that performance and Alicia always performs it seems giving people the wrong impression thinking she's in the show! People do think she's in the show on Broadway!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#7522024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:48pm

Did Outsiders win Musical with no acting wins?

Was Memphis the last time this happened?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#7532024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:49pm

blaxx said: "Did Outsiders win Musical with no acting wins?

"

God, Memphis was trash. Justice for American Idiot.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#7542024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:50pm

Everytime “Memphis” is mentioned, an angel loses its wings. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#7552024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:50pm

KJisgroovy said: "It looks like The Outsiders have already raised their ticket prices? Is that possible? My husband is visually impaired, and we need to sit in the front row (usually not premium). It was 229$ yesterday, and those same seats are now premium priced at 349$. Obviously,they can change whatever they want... and good for them... but that's wild."

One of the seats in front row is always a rush seat. I was looking at random dates in the fall and the front row for OUTSIDERS weekdays is $199. 

I'm guessing the ones you were looking at was probably during high season and perhaps during the weekend? 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#7562024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:51pm

HenryTDobson said: "Super sad for Kelli. Poor woman has had to sit through this crap EIGHT times and lost 7 of those times...."

Susan Lucci for TV, Glenn Close for film, and Kelli for theater.  

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

yyys
#7572024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:51pm

Yep, they did.  The cheapest is now $99 instead of $69.

KJisgroovy said: "It looks like The Outsiders have already raised their ticket prices? Is that possible? My husband is visually impaired, and we need to sit in the front row (usually not premium). It was 229$ yesterday, and those same seats are now premium priced at 349$. Obviously,they can change whatever they want... and good for them... but that's wild."

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#7582024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:54pm

BalconyClub said: "My favorite moments of the telecast were the exitsof the Ensembles intothe wings, quicklymugging for the camera."

Totally agree! I loved that!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#7592024 Tony Awards

Winners by the Numbers

• Stereophonic: 5 wins
  • Merrily We Roll Along: 4 wins
  • The Outsiders: 4 wins
  • Suffs: 2 wins
  • Hell’s Kitchen: 2 wins
  • Appropriate: 2 wins
  • Purlie Victorious: A Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch: 1 win
  • Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club: 1 win
  • The Great Gatsby: 1 win
  • Illinoise: 1 win 
  • Jaja’s African Hair Braiding: 1 win

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#7602024 Tony Awards

They seemed so happy to be there. Love to see it.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#7612024 Tony Awards

"

A Strange Loop and Gentlemen's Guide since Memphis

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 11:54 PM

Broadway61004
#7622024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:58pm

Robbie2 said: "Winners by the Numbers

"

Appropriate won 3 (Paulson, Revival, Lighting)

Also 1 for Enemy of the People.

gibsons2
#7632024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:00am

"

The Outsiders felt like an ensemble piece to me, although there is clearly a lead character. It felt very well rounded and the most flawless out of them all. Loved Suffs  at Public but on Broadway it felt too didactic and too rehearsed, although the win for the best book is fully earned. HK is just fluff, there's nothing original or profound about it. WFE I think was failed by its lackluster score. I loved the show, but can't remember a single song. And well, Illinoise is... Illinoise. I've stated my opinion about it many times before. The Outsiders had that win in the bag, I think. Well deserved. 

Updated On: 6/17/24 at 12:00 AM

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#7642024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:06am

I definitely did not enjoy the telecast this year and agree that last year’s ceremony was ironically one of the best in a while because the strike forced them to trim the fat. But for me the biggest problem this year wasn’t any of the bits or the truly terrible sound or camera work, it was the nominees. These shows obviously have their fans, but there’s no denying that this was a weak season despite being quite crowded. Even if the telecast was produced perfectly, I don’t think the performances were ever going to be more than just okay.

Phillyguy
#7652024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:13am

I was not shocked Outsiders won based on the NYT polls and the amount of dislike here for HK, which was my personal pick from this season. 

I thought the sound quality from the performances were just awful. Last year, only &Juliet had major sound issues. This year, I thought most had terrible sound problem. The camerawork also seemed bizarre. If I had not seen these shows in person, I’m not sure if I would want to see them based on the clips. 

Updated On: 6/17/24 at 12:13 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7662024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:15am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "everyones rightfully complaining about these awards show but the answer is staring us right in the face.

last year, we cut the fat, ie the desperate attempts at humor, and the silly bits and dance spectacles, and just had people give out hardware and honor shows. it worked brilliantly.
"

I fully agree. Televise more of the awards and get rid of everything extraneous. Why did we have athletes introducing the introduction to best play, for instance? 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#7672024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:39am

Broadway61004 said: "Robbie2 said: "Winners by the Numbers

"

Appropriate won 3 (Paulson, Revival, Lighting)

Also 1 for Enemy of the People.
"

Copied from BW has the wrong count on their home page!

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#7682024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:42am

BalconyClub said: "My favorite moments of the telecast were the exitsof the Ensembles intothe wings, quicklymugging for the camera."

Except the cast of Suffs all running passed Jenna Bainbridge. That felt really awkward to me

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#7692024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:54am

Mr. Wormwood said: "blaxx said: "Did Outsiders win Musical with no acting wins?

"

A Strange Loop and Gentlemen's Guide since Memphis
"

Thanks!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#7702024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:59am

Thoughts on a surprising yet meh evening:

The ceremony was a million times better without scriptwriters. Sorry, guys. 

The Koch was a bit too intimate for a Tony venue.

Lousy opening number... another recent misfire from Tom Kitt (along with Amanda Green and Adam Blackstone). DeBose's singing voice sounding iffy probably made Eden Espinosa sound like Pavarotti to some of you. Also, why did DeBose look like she was exiled from the female ensemble of The Great Gatsby?

Groffsauce had the best speech of the night, while BJJ showed some amusing shade towards An Enemy of the People.

The Chita dance tribute was touching but didn't exactly give Illinoise a decent run for their money.

Apt, workmanlike performances from the nominated musicals. They may attract some fresh eyes... or what's left of B'way's summer crowds could simply brush up on Wicked again before the first film releases. 

If this really is it for DeBose hosting the Tonys for the time being, she didn't end the way I hoped she would. I adore her and I know she is much better than this, I just do, and I hope she can craft a redemption arc with You-Know-What if she's still attached.

Broadway should (and probably will) gain more traction next season with so many big names and stars coming in, and more TBA. I'm pretty confident we'll taste pre-COVID total grosses and attendance figures by next spring. 

Tony reviews and ratings will not be pretty tomorrow.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 6/17/24 at 12:59 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#7712024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 1:34am

So Suggs won best score AND book but lost best musical? That’s pretty rare!!! Right? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7722024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 1:46am

binau said: "So Suggs won best score ANDbook but lost best musical? That’s pretty rare!!! Right?"

Into the Woods, Drowsy Chaperone, Falsettos, Ragtime, Parade, Urinetown, On The 20th Century, and Woman of the Year all won Best Score + Best Book without winning Best Musical. Perhaps others too.

Updated On: 6/17/24 at 01:46 AM

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#7732024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 1:48am

BOM said: "That suffs performance makes me glad I didn’t sit through 2.5 hours of that."

The show is much better and it’s criminal that they went with that number. I know their team swoons over it, it’s their “it” song and there’s lots of emotional attachment to it.

I’ll stick to what I said a few weeks ago - they should’ve done Fire & Tea. Bring in the pyrotechnics, it’s a large ensemble belty number that still conveys the overall message, themes, and ferocity of the show without spoiling too much of what it has to offer. The Outsiders knew what they were doing with The Rumble bit and Suffs really lost out on an equal sum of good buzz and ticket sales because they defaulted to such an ordinary choice of a song. It’s a beautiful number and was a lovely performance — but no one who saw that who isn’t already reasonably partial to the show, it’s subject matter, or Hillary Clinton is going to be won over by it I don’t think. They needed to get creative and they did the furthest from that.

Updated On: 6/17/24 at 01:48 AM

tiburon19
#7742024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 2:15am

SUFFS performance perfectly encapsulates why it won book and score and lost musical and direction.

Great song, horrible staging

Videos