News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

2024 Tony Awards

broadfan327
#7252024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:20pm

Kad said: "The Tonys desperately need new producers and to go back to the drawing board for how to make a successful ceremony. This was a slog of a night."

They need to back up the Brinks truck to get Neil Patrick Harris back hosting.  There was so little humor, writing seemed to be non-existent.  Happy for The Outsiders, it was the best new musical I saw (I didn't see Hell's Kitchen yet).

PipingHotPiccolo
#7262024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:21pm

everyones rightfully complaining about these awards show but the answer is staring us right in the face.

last year, we cut the fat, ie the desperate attempts at humor, and the silly bits and dance spectacles, and just had people give out hardware and honor shows. it worked brilliantly. 

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#7272024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:21pm

I’m so thrilled with this year’s winners. The Outsiders was my favorite musical of the year. Stereophonic my favorite play. And the winning actors! Groff, Radcliffe, Moon, Lewis, Brill, Paulson… My biggest gripe was that Gatsby won for costumes, so in my mind? A fabulous year for the Tony’s. If not the Tony telecast, but that’s a whole other story.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#7282024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:22pm

TotallyEffed said: "I’m curious to know who has won a Tony for a performance in a musical that was closed by the time the ceremony took place."

Most recent was Martin Short for Little Me in 1999

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7292024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:22pm

It’s been a decades long “curse” for Best Actress in a Musical. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#7302024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:24pm

Super sad for Kelli. Poor woman has had to sit through this crap EIGHT times and lost 7 of those times....

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#7312024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:25pm

I'm disappointed the Tonys didn't learn from the near universal acclaim for last year's ceremony. It wouldn't have been hard to replicate the best elements of that.

I thought there were several good performances and speeches. But the show did feel like a slog. Some speeches were way too long but that is hard to control. What they can control is the pacing and starting with that WAY too long Hell's Kitchen performance, the pacing just felt off all night. Add in some bad camerawork, sound mixing and a host who seemed to be phoning it in often and this is what you get. I agree with whoever said Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells should have hosted. I think it's time for Ariana DeBose to be done with this job but I blame the producing team more for how meh the show felt even with a lot of performers giving it their all.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#7322024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:26pm

I’m so confused. There was a pre-tape a couple of days ago with two supposedly huge broadway stars. What happened to that? Did they mean Rannells and Gad? Was their shtick pre-recorded?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#7332024 Tony Awards

So what was the WOW moment promised? Glenn Weiss has been producing the TONYS since 2003 time to give him the boot as well as Ariana as host - she was really bad and charnless tonight compared to last year......that opening god awful - terribly staged and the song sucked. Who wrote it?

Camera work was beyond terrible for the whole show!

Why did Hells Kitchen get 7 minutes of air time and the other shows only 3-4min tops? 

https://variety.com/2024/legit/podcasts/glenn-weiss-ricky-kirshner-tony-awards-2024-1236037558/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 6/16/24 at 11:26 PM

broadfan327
#7342024 Tony Awards

Alex Kulak2 said: "The Outsiderswon Best Musical without winning Best Book, Best Score, or any acting award. The last time that happened wasFosse in 1999."

No show eligible for best book and score (so, a non-jukebox show) has lost both categories but won best musical since “Spamalot” in 2005.

Tony voters did not like Suffs or Hell's Kitchen enough to grant it Best Muiscal even though they won other awards.

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 11:26 PM

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#7352024 Tony Awards

PipingHotPiccolo said: “last year, we cut the fat, ie the desperate attempts at humor, and the silly bits and dance spectacles, and just had people give out hardware and honor shows. it worked brilliantly."

But was there an excessive amount of bits, dances and attempts at humor? I agree that this show was poorly produced but I didn’t find there to be a ton of extra junk.

Mostly my disappointment was with how badly the presentation of shows came off. Poor sound, bizarre camera movements, odd choices of material (I guess that’s a show by show issue but still). DeBose, try as she might, is a charisma vacuum and the show needs energy and momentum to succeed. 

luvbrdway
#7362024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:28pm

I was in NYC two weeks ago. Kicking myself I didn’t see Outsiders, Hells Kitchen, Water for Elephants, but I only had so much time and $$$$$.

Other thoughts:

*Now I want to watch WSS again-that was the only thing I liked about Ariana DeBose.

*No desire to see Cabaret, though I love the movie. That was bizarre.

*I’m confused-it seems like Sterophonic is a musical. Was there discussion on which category they would be nominated?

*I’m worried about Angelina Jolie-she is very thin.
*Really hoping for a season 4 of Girls 5Eva seeing Ashley Park and Renee Goldsbury. Watch it. Thank me later.

*Hoping to return in the fall to see Gypsy, Death Becomes Her, and Once Upon A Mattress!!!

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 11:28 PM

broadfan327
#7372024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:31pm

Robbie2 said: "So what was the WOW moment promised? Glenn Weiss hasbeenproducing the TONYS since 2003 time to give them the boot!

Camera work was beyond terrible for the whole show!

Why did Hells Kitchen get 7 minutes of air time and the other shows 3-4min?

https://variety.com/2024/legit/podcasts/glenn-weiss-ricky-kirshner-tony-awards-2024-1236037558/

Alicia Keys and Jay-Z are more famous than the other performers.

Sebastian
#7382024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:32pm

Justice for illinoise 😔

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#7392024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:33pm

DramaTeach said: "I’m so confused. There was a pre-tape a couple of days ago with two supposedly huge broadway stars. What happened to that? Did they mean Rannells and Gad? Was their shtick pre-recorded?"

I figured it was the Jay-Z and Alicia Keys performance. Why else wouldn’t they bring Jay-Z out on stage?

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#7402024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:33pm

I love you, Jonathan Groff.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#7412024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:34pm

DramaTeach said: "I’m so confused. There was a pre-tape a couple of days ago with two supposedly huge broadway stars. What happened to that? Did they mean Rannells and Gad? Was their shtick pre-recorded?"

I forgot about that!! What was it?? Lol

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#7422024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:37pm

I’m incredibly happy with the Tony wins this year. Seems like they spread the wealth this year, which is something I always love to see. Performances are usually underwhelming so that’s nothing new. 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#7432024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:38pm

It looks like The Outsiders have already raised their ticket prices? Is that possible? My husband is visually impaired, and we need to sit in the front row (usually not premium). It was 229$ yesterday, and those same seats are now premium priced at 349$. Obviously, they can change whatever they want... and good for them... but that's wild. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#7442024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:39pm

My favorite moments of the telecast were the exits of the Ensembles into the wings, quickly mugging for the camera.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#7452024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:41pm

KJisgroovy said: "It looks like The Outsiders have already raised their ticket prices? Is that possible? My husband is visually impaired, and we need to sit in the front row (usually not premium). It was 229$ yesterday, and those same seats are now premium priced at 349$. Obviously,they can change whatever they want... and good for them... but that's wild."

Capitalism??? On MY Broadway?????

Ru, never….

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#7462024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:41pm

delete

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 11:41 PM

gibsons2
#7472024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:42pm

BOM said: "I’m incredibly happy with the Tony wins this year. Seems like they spread the wealth this year, which is something I always love to see. Performances are usually underwhelming so that’s nothing new."

I wish they spread that wealth to WFE. The show has the incredible director and magical, intricate, unique scenic design. 

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#7482024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:43pm

I think I'm one of the few people who didn't like W4E. I thought Notebook would get nominated for musical, so it shows how much I know.

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#7492024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:43pm

I don't think it was them -- at least, Rannells was certainly on the red carpet tonight, and dropping a bit of news....

Latest Posts

Videos