News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 31

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

Jarethan
#750Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/27/24 at 10:48am

WldKingdomHM said: "No way! I give her 3 weeks and then that’s it

I don't know about Merman, but Lansbury, Daly and Peters all performed 8 shows a week. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#751Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/27/24 at 11:20am

Jarethan said: "I don't know about Merman, but Lansbury, Daly and Peters all performed 8 shows a week."

The people who came before her are irrelevant to this conversation. Some People (hehe) are concerned that Audra did only 7 shows a week in LADY DAY, and after missing a number of PORGY & BESS performances reduced to 7. Now she's scheduled to do all 8 a week in GYPSY. (She has done 8 a week with other roles, for what it's worth.)

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#752Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/27/24 at 11:49am

Broadway is not a free-for-all where principals can come and go from their shows! Everyone has a contract, and getting out of one Broadway show to do a different Broadway show is rarely ever part of a principal contract unless the "out" is negotiated for a specific show at the time of signing! Pigs fly occasionally, but for the love of god manage expectations!

SUFFS and NOTEBOOK run through Jan 5 and Dec 29 respectively. Kevin McCollum and Jill Furman are not going to lose a top player out of the goodness of their heart. Not to mention Joy would be balancing RAGTIME, whose rehearsal process would fall squarely in the middle of GYPSY's. (Sutton Foster was the difference between SWEENEY staying open vs closing after countless "no"s from bigger Lovett candidates, and her agents could dictate her schedule)

Nikki M. James would be a great Rose Alternate if they need to cross that bridge after the show opens.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#753Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/27/24 at 1:24pm

Dying to know who the other possible lovetts were. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Nolan LuPone
#754Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/28/24 at 4:30pm

Jarethan said: "I don't know about Merman, but Lansbury, Daly and Peters all performed 8 shows a week."

So did LuPone.

I’d like to add Heather Headley to the list of potential Rose alternates.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#755Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 7/28/24 at 4:56pm

The brilliant Heather Headley is no one’s alternate.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#756Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/12/24 at 9:01pm

Rehearsals start September 9 table read.  Expect casting announcement soon

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#757Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/12/24 at 9:19pm

Broadway Flash said: "Rehearsals start September 9 table read. Expect casting announcement soon"

The first rehearsal will be 9/30/24, unless they've inexplicably added three weeks of rehearsal since the casting notice went out in mid-June, or unless they're doing a one-off table read ahead of actual rehearsals beginning.

Broadway Flash
#758Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/12/24 at 9:38pm

Maybe they feel they need more time?  

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#759Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/12/24 at 9:43pm

Nikki M. James would be a great Rose Alternate if they need to cross that bridge after the show opens."

No, thank you. No.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#760Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/12/24 at 9:49pm

Broadway Flash said: "Maybe they feel they need more time? "

They need to work on their New Orleans dialects, obviously. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

corninthesky Profile Photo
corninthesky
#761Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/12/24 at 9:52pm

Surprised by the lack of rumors for this production. Seems like when this was announced it was, “Just wait ‘til you hear who else they have lined up!” to no casting news or rumors for weeks. Makes me wonder which way this announcement will end up going.

Broadway Flash
#762Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/12/24 at 10:07pm

If it’s a radically reimagined revival, I could see them wanting more time to try things and see if it works. Yes the New Orleans and race aspect of it they’re adding in. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#763Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/12/24 at 10:57pm

corninthesky said: "Surprised by the lack of rumors for this production. Seems like when this was announced it was, “Just wait ‘til you hear who else they have lined up!” to no casting news or rumors for weeks. Makes me wonder which way this announcement will end up going."

Well, seeing as all the rumors were wildly wrong..........

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#764Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/12/24 at 11:11pm

Broadway Flash said: "If it’s a radically reimagined revival, I could see them wanting more time to try things and see if it works. Yes the New Orleans and race aspect of it they’re adding in."

The 7.5 weeks of rehearsal & tech that they already have prior to previews is quite luxurious for a musical revival. It is virtually unheard of for a Broadway musical in contemporary times to have 10+ weeks of rehearsal. You'll run out of things to do in the studio, and you can't be in tech forever because the costs are astronomical. This isn't the era of Jerome Robbins and Gower Champion and criminally low salaries.

Spend that money on the production's Po Boy budget.

Updated On: 8/12/24 at 11:11 PM

Broadway Flash
#765Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/13/24 at 12:19am

it sounds like they are workshopping the show before real rehearsals begin.  I mean it makes sense, they’re opening cold on Broadway.  Most revivals have a previous life before coming in, these days either from City Center or London or a regional theatre production.  I heard first table read September 9 with dance rehearsals starting the following week 

Joviedamian
#766Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/13/24 at 3:21am

Is Coleman Domingo too young for Herbie? He is a Broadway baby!!

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#767Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/13/24 at 8:22am

There are about two weeks of work leading up to the 30th. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#768Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/13/24 at 10:00am

Joviedamian said: "Is Coleman Domingo too young for Herbie? He is a Broadway baby!!"

For the umpteenth time, Herbie will be played by a white actor.

berniesb!tch
#769Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/13/24 at 10:35am

Rumors are Joy Woods is dropping out of Ragtime to be Louise. 

Broadway Flash
#770Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/13/24 at 10:43am

I don’t want Joy Woods in Ragtime or Gypsy because she’s a complete bore on stage.  Saw her as the understudy for Audrey in Little shop.  I felt nothing.  And then for The Notebook.  Also nothing. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#771Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/13/24 at 11:14am

berniesb!tch said: "Rumors are Joy Woods is dropping out of Ragtime to be Louise."

Last I heard, this was trying to be worked out. But haven’t heard any updates in a while. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#772Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/13/24 at 11:21am

Joviedamian said: "Is Coleman Domingo too young for Herbie? He is a Broadway baby!!"

Yessssssssssssss.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#773Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/13/24 at 11:40am

I thought the concept was to have Louise be dark-skinned and June mixed race and light skinned? Joy Woods would seem to be more of a June in this case...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#774Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 8/13/24 at 11:47am

If the concept is indeed to have a June that could feasibly "pass"  as mixed-race or even white, then I disagree that Woods fits that description.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Videos