News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 35

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#850Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/9/24 at 7:39pm

heard cast is set finalizing audra's standby and rehearsals start 1st week of October

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#851Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/9/24 at 9:23pm

JSquared2 said: "Broadway Flash said: "I wish they were in the pit. This whole thing was a flop in my opinion. The orchestra sounded bland. Why didn’t they at least announce the cast? Why does the Broadhurst still have an elegant marquee, but theMajestic went digital?"

Oh just STFU already.
"

THIS.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#852Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 1:41am

I'd never been to the Majestic before - the theatre looks like a barn!! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#853Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 2:15am

Broadway Flash said: "Why didn’t they at least announce the cast? Why does the Broadhurst still have an elegant marquee, but theMajestic went digital?"

Isn’t it your job to know these things?

CJRochester
#854Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 12:22pm

binau said: "I'd never been to the Majestic before - the theatre looks like a barn!!"

It is a barn. The second photo in this Twitter post, the one looking down from the balcony, is the view I had when I saw Phantom 36 years ago. We were just out of college then and couldn't afford better than near the back of the balcony. The stage looked so tiny and it felt like we were sitting blocks away. 

https://x.com/theatermania/status/1833219777763910039?t=EFvwDZiUfOQBBmi_0Py8bg

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#855Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 12:31pm

If the theatre is ready to go, I wonder why Gypsy is only starting previews right before the holidays.  

MysteriousLady
#856Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 12:47pm

Broadway Flash said: "If the theatre is ready to go, I wonder why Gypsy is only starting previewsright before the holidays. "

It takes time to add that authentic New Orleans flair to the script and score. Have a po boy, Mister Goldstone. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#857Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 1:04pm

Broadway Flash said: "If the theatre is ready to go, I wonder why Gypsy is only starting previewsright before the holidays. "

There are lots of reasons this could be. The theater might not actually be ready for load-in, the cast might not be finalized, some of the cast and creatives they have finalized might not be available yet. Certainly there are other possible reasons, but it doesn’t really matter at the end of the day. It starts when it starts.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#858Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 2:18pm

Why don’t you ask your very credible industry sources for an explanation? You know, the ones who have been giving you information about everything from contractual terms to script revisions to when casting announcements will happen. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jason3
#859Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 4:16pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Rumor, as of now, is Norbert Leo Butz is Herbie."

He does qualify as a Tony winner (for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Catch Me If You Can) who has done drag (in Is He Dead?). I think he's a great choice for Herbie. 

Looking forward to this production.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#860Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 4:50pm

Broadway Flash said: "I wish they were in the pit. This whole thing was a flop in my opinion. The orchestra sounded bland. Why didn’t they at least announce the cast? Why does the Broadhurst still have an elegant marquee, but theMajestic went digital?"

Literally, though, what is actually wrong with you?

MidWestTheater
#861Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 7:12pm

Jason3 said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "Rumor, as of now, is Norbert Leo Butz is Herbie."

He does qualify as a Tony winner (for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Catch Me If You Can) who has done drag (in Is He Dead?). I think he's a great choice for Herbie.

"

I would be surprised if he was in this, considering he's starring in Vladmir at MTC in a few weeks. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#862Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 7:14pm

It's nice to see that Audra is aging in reverse!

After GYPSY, maybe she can play Young Allie in the NOTEBOOK tour.

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#863Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 7:23pm

Audra really does look fabulous. It’s hard to believe she’s 54!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#864Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 8:09pm

MidWestTheater said: "Jason3 said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "Rumor, as of now, is Norbert Leo Butz is Herbie."

"

I would be surprised if he was in this, considering he's starring in Vladmir at MTC in a few weeks.

"

I have a feeling that they’ve offered Herbie to several different well-known actors and negotiations are still being finalized. I’m predicting a surprise choice - probably someone from the TV/film world but who has done theater in the past. Not an A-lister but someone who will help sell tickets to regular folks, like “Hey it’s that guy from that TV show.”

BentleyB
#865Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 9:03pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "MidWestTheater said: "Jason3 said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "Rumor, as of now, is Norbert Leo Butz is Herbie."

"

"

I have a feeling that they’ve offered Herbie to several different well-known actors and negotiations are still being finalized. I’m predicting a surprise choice - probably someone from the TV/film world but who has done theater in the past. Not an A-lister but someone who will help sell tickets to regular folks, like “Hey it’s that guy from that TV show.”
"

I hear it is Harry Connick Jr for that true Louisiana, New Orleans flavor. 

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#866Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 9:41pm

BentleyB said: 

"I hear it is Harry Connick Jr for that true Louisiana, New Orleans flavor."

I heard that rumor too - and that Jessie Mueller will be Audra's alternate, so every Wednesday matinee will be an On A Clear Day reunion!!!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#867Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 9:56pm

Great guess on Herbie  👀

MysteriousLady
#868Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 10:21pm

BentleyB said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "MidWestTheater said: "Jason3 said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "Rumor, as of now, is Norbert Leo Butz is Herbie."

"

"

I have a feeling that they’ve offered Herbie to several different well-known actors and negotiations are still being finalized. 

I hear it isHarryConnickJr for that true Louisiana, New Orleans flavor."

He'd be a great choice honestly 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#869Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 10:38pm

BentleyB said: "I hear it is Harry Connick Jr for that true Louisiana, New Orleans flavor."

Incorrect. I just heard they've closed a deal with Louis the Alligator, one of our great Louisianans.

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#870Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 11:40pm

For what it’s worth, I have a friend that had an appointment for this today, likely for an ensemble/understudy track. So the (whole) cast I don’t believe is set just yet. 

"...and in a bed."

OceansJenny Profile Photo
OceansJenny
#871Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 10:32am

Would love to see Norbie on Broadway again!!

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#872Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 10:39am

Hmm I’m not against Harry Connick Jr. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#873Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 10:48am

(I think the person who suggested Connick was making a joke based on the poster here who kept claiming the show was being rewritten to be set in New Orleans)

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#874Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 10:52am

I know, but I now it got me thinking. Might as well we embrace NoLa at this point! 

Videos