News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

City Center Encores! 2023-24 season: PAL JOEY • ONCE UPON A MATTRESS • JELLY'S LAST JAM • TITANIC- Page 4

City Center Encores! 2023-24 season: PAL JOEY • ONCE UPON A MATTRESS • JELLY'S LAST JAM • TITANIC

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#75NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/17/23 at 1:54pm

I was tenth or so in line at the box office today...glad i have secured my tickets and looking forward to all three productions!

My first introduction to Encores was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn in 2005 and I am proud to say I have seen every single one since then.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#76NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/17/23 at 2:23pm

macnyc said: "Tickets are on sale now for the general public. I'm in the waiting room."

That was relatively painless!

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

tyleramullen
#77NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/17/23 at 2:33pm

JSquared2 said: "slow_the_rain said: "JSquared2 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "JSquared2 said: "Word is that The Queen is a former star of a recent-ish hit night time TV soap opera who ALSO has quite a bit of Broadway cred."

Bellamy Young?
"

A bigger name.

"

Baranski?
"

Not Baranski either. The name being mentioned as "on board" appeared on Broadway fairly recently.
"

Queen (Wilhelmina Slater) Aggravain? NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC 

mbusani14
A Justified Bean Profile Photo
A Justified Bean
#79NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/17/23 at 3:36pm

mbusani14 said: "Does anyone know if Access25 tickets have gone on sale yet?"

The code wasn't working today - the person I spoke to at the box office last week said that they consider the access tickets to be like rush, and they didn't seem to expect that the code would work until closer to the show dates.  It works for Pal Joey tickets, though.

The slotted spoon can catch the potato.

poto19882023 Profile Photo
poto19882023
#80NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/23/23 at 6:07am

mbusani14 said: "Does anyone know if Access25 tickets have gone on sale yet?"

Could anyone by chance share the Access25 code? I signed up but they haven’t sent me any email or anything with the code to be able to purchase tickets using the program.

Thank you!

VintageSnarker
#81NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/24/23 at 12:55am

CoffeeBreak said: "PAL JOEY Preview:This Can't Be Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppAyklv8_Ko

PAL JOEY Preview: Where or When & Blue Moon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2uZWg98IUE

"

I... do I not know which songs are in Pal Joey?

inception Profile Photo
inception
#82NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/24/23 at 5:11am

From the other videos they posted it looks like they are interpolating quite a few songs that were never in the stage version of Pal Joey.  There's a video of rehearsals for "The Lady is a Tramp," which was originally from Babes in Arms but was later used in the Frank Sinatra film version of Pal Joey - which made many changes from the stage version.

There is another video of rehearsals for "Falling in Love With Love" which is from The Boys From Syracuse.

While these sound good & fun to me in the videos, the original score for Pal Joey has enough great songs that I don’t know you need to add other songs?

I was disappointed when months ago I couldn't figure out any way to change my schedule so that I could get to NY next week to see this.  I hope it turns out to be a great show, but I have many doubts that it might turn into something that could go further than these few performances. 

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#83NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/26/23 at 6:35pm

Has Ann Harada been mentioned for Aggravain? She would kill it and be a fantastic foil to Sutton, just physically it would be a hoot. I know she is doing Bartleby in San Diego, so don’t know about the timing…

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#84NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/26/23 at 6:41pm

Lola Getz2 said: "Has Ann Harada been mentioned forAggravain? She would kill it and be a fantastic foil to Sutton, just physically it would be a hoot. I know she is doing Bartleby in San Diego, so don’t know about the timing…"

LOVE this casting. Let's get Sutton and Ann to do Aggravain/Winnifred in rep. I really need Joshua Henry in this as literally any part. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#86NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/29/23 at 9:15pm

We are looking forward to seeing Pal Joey on Friday. Big fans of Savion Glover! Who's going?

Joey Evans Is Back. This Time He’s a Struggling Artist.

A new “Pal Joey” at City Center has reimagined the never-quite-satisfying script to make Joey (Ephraim Sykes) a forward-thinking Black jazz singer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/28/arts/dance/pal-joey-savion-glover-city-center.html

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 10/30/23 at 09:15 PM

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
BETTY22
#88NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/30/23 at 2:20pm

So Sutton is going to be busy if Sweeney reporting is accurate - although, you can never have enough of her!

JasonC3
#89NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/30/23 at 2:44pm

BETTY22 said: "So Sutton is going to be busy if Sweeney reporting is accurate - although, you can never have enough of her!"

LOL, So Sutton's casting is not definitive as you suggested with the thread you started?  Quite the piece of work.

JSquared2
#90NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/30/23 at 3:20pm

BETTY22 said: "So Sutton is going to be busy if Sweeney reporting is accurate - although, you can never have enough of her!

IF it's accurate?  Dude, you're the one who STARTED the entire thread abut the Sweeney casting!

BETTY22 said: "Page 6 reporting....Ian Mohr is a great reporter and loves theater.

https://pagesix.com/2023/10/30/celebrity-news/aaron-tveit-sutton-foster-will-next-star-in-sweeney-todd-broadway-buzz/?_gl=1*mn8we7*_ga*MTEyNzAyNDQ5OS4xNjQ3MDI5NDI1*_ga_0DZ7LHF5PZ*MTY5ODY2MDMyNC4xNjgyLjAuMTY5ODY2MDMyNC4wLjAuMA..&_ga=2.183196198.1411144785.1696438406-1127024499.1647029425
"

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#92NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 10/31/23 at 2:43pm

Some years ago had the pleasure of working with Ann Harada on an off-Broadway production of MATTRESS, and I can tell you that her Queen was amazing; she sang like crazy and got all her laughs. I played the mute king opposite her, and it was a blast. Yes, try to get Ann!

A Justified Bean Profile Photo
A Justified Bean
#93NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 11/1/23 at 9:36am

Was anyone at the invited dress last night for Pal Joey?

Broadway Flash, the access code is ACC2324.

The slotted spoon can catch the potato.

InnerMonologue Profile Photo
InnerMonologue
#94NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 11/1/23 at 2:36pm

Yes, last night's dress started around 7:40p and ended around 10:20p. Tony Goldwyn and Savion Glover briefly spoke pre-show and explained that the song list was changing up to a few hours beforehand, so we should use the provided QR code to see the most updated song list, instead of what was printed on the handout. Seems like a lot of active edits happening. 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#95NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 11/1/23 at 3:00pm

My neighbor was there and thought it was quite good. She thought it could transfer.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#96NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 11/1/23 at 6:09pm

Looking forward to seeing this but it's disappointing that this City Center presentation only has a 9-piece orchestra. I assume because the whole thing was put together by commercial producers who don't want to have to reduce in the event that it makes it to Broadway.

2 pianos
2 Reeds
1 Trumpet
Bass
Drums
Guitar
Cello

I trust Darryl Waters as one of our best jazz orchestrators working in theatre today (his work on SHUFFLE ALONG and AFTER MIDNIGHT was dynamite), and the little clip I heard of "Bewitched" sounded nice.

Updated On: 11/1/23 at 06:09 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#97NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 11/1/23 at 6:31pm

The photos really do make it look like a full production, even beyond what City Center productions have become in recent years.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

toetapper2
#99NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
Posted: 11/1/23 at 7:56pm

Rodgers and Hart contributed some of the greatest songs in The Great American Songbook. If you've heard Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Lena Horne and so many other great artists perform these wonderful songs you might be seriously disappointed at what  you hear in this production of Pal Joey. Yes, this was a dress rehearsal and the show might not be frozen but these musical arrangements are truly awful. I don't think there's one number in this production that sounds like the performers understand the lyrics to what they are singing. 

Videos