News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#575HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 11:31am

I imagine that was the directors call.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#576HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 11:35am

How has Jerry Herman been doing lately?  Has he been able to attend any of the previews?

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#578HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 11:26pm

Just saw it. OMG!!!!!!!! This is one of the performances I'll still remember vividly come decades. Just can't believe how magical Ms. Midler's every move is. And my only quibble is that she is not on stage the whole time! I've never smiled this much in a theater, and to think I had my doubts given my quite unhappy history with old-school musicals...

Her Tony is a lock just like Hamilton's last year.

MsDesmond1995 Profile Photo
MsDesmond1995
#579HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 8:35pm

This will be my first show in the Shubert and I'll be sitting in row N Right Orchestra seats 2 & 4 (on the inner aisle). Does anyone know if this is far enough to see the whole set, but close enough to still see facial expressions? I recently watched the 1985 Tony Awards, which was the last ceremony held at the Shubert, to get a little perspective on the space, and it seemed pretty big for one of the older houses. I'm a little concerned row N is too far from the action.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#580HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 8:39pm

MsDesmond, you have amazing seats! My view from Row N all the way to the left on the most outer aisle was still a great seat and I only missed a little, nothing important. I could still see their faces perfectly. Your seat is in Row N, like mine, but will be an even better seat! 

MsDesmond1995 Profile Photo
MsDesmond1995
#581HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 9:40pm

LesWickedly said: "MsDesmond, you have amazing seats! My view from Row N all the way to the left on the most outer aisle was still a great seat and I only missed a little, nothing important. I could still see their faces perfectly. Your seat is in Row N, like mine, but will be an even better seat! 

"

Thanks, Les! So glad to hear it! I usually never splurge on premium seats, but when I decided I couldn't let this Broadway season pass me by and booked my NYC trip in February, that's all that was left. And its going to be worth every single penny

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#582HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 9:43pm

Well I was in row S far right (S26) and had no trouble with the expressions and details of the production. Bette projects her expressions so well it's not an issue. And the production is designed to be fairly shallow with most of the action occurring near the lip of the stage.

LJD123
#583HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 9:51pm

Same Desmond - just splurged on row M in August! Hope Bette doesn't wear herself out before then - I can't wait......

Dollypop
#584HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 10:58pm

To answer the question about Jerry Herman's health: he's fine. No, he hasn't been to any of the previews but is delighted by the reports he's receiving about this production. At the present time he doesn't plan to be there for opening night, but he may fly up to catch a performance at some future point.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#585HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 12:20am

There was no confetti at the end of the show tonight .  I don't know if it was a technical issue or a choice. But I don't think its needed.  Every time I see it Bette is better and better.  She is having such a blast.  It is the most joyful performance I have seen on Broadway in years.   But one note...a adlib is not a adlib if your doing it every night.  It's not needed...and the audience always knows.  The "it's live " thing has got to go.

BTW; David Hyde Pierce is now SENSATIONAL in the part.  He has really found so many nuances during the preview period.

Updated On: 4/8/17 at 12:20 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#586HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 12:24am

She didn't do any of the "it's live" stuff on Wednesday night. In fact, I don't think she made any flubs that evening. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#587HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 12:27am

It must be her go to line .  Was there confett Wednesday ?

Updated On: 4/8/17 at 12:27 AM

And Peggy Profile Photo
And Peggy
#588HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 1:25am

This was my first time seeing anything other than the movie, so when she coughed and said, "It's live" I worried that she was having a legitimate issue. She said a couple of lines right after that and then exited stage left and from my seat I heard prolonged coughing. (I don't know the usual blocking, and the coughing I heard could have just as easily come from the back of the house for all I know.) I spent all of It Only Takes a Moment worrying that something was wrong with Bette and then she entered in the next scene wearing a different costume (and finished the show in full, grand voice) so I guess she usually exits there and I spent all of Gavin Creel's excellent work in that scene distracted and worried over nothing.

Still, this was a glorious night of theater, Bette was radiant and every other aspect of the stage production was pitch perfect. Any complaints I might have about my experience tonight (and they are few, but kinda glaring) involve audience members behaving badly and ushers behaving aggressively in return. I was in the house right mezzanine and it seemed like some people were suddenly unable to figure out their cell phones when the house lights went down AND the ushers in that section were particularly quick to shine their flashlights on perceived offenders (and all of the seats around them) during the key moments of the show. Yes, the light of someone's cell phone will distract me and pull me out of the moment and I appreciate the show taking steps to address this, BUT . . . the random flashes of light from the usher (especially when no one in our row or area was holding a phone or camera) was every bit as distracting as an unruly audience member. This is my first time seeing a truly high-profile show during previews. Is this behavior common?    

MizMamie Profile Photo
MizMamie
#589HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 1:25am

Ha, yes I missed the confetti tonight as well! It was there at the Wed. matinee I attended at the end of March.

I sat in a box seat for the first time ever: D4. This is a horrible seat and should be sold as partial view. Buyer beware.

frik
#590HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 8:24am

I managed to get tickets the day they went on sale. the only problem was, when I logged into Ticketmaster, I unfortunately did not get a choice of seats. That's of course the way I would have preferred: the choose-from-map option.
Instead, everytime I tried, Ticketmaster made the section for me (of course, within the section I had chosen) and I could either accept or decline. I wanted seats within the first five-or-so rows (Orchestra) but never even came close. I finally had to opt for Orchestra left, row N. Plus my seats (2) are all the way at the end of the row (as far left as you can go) but LesW. was in exactly the same row and seat and he was definitely not complaining, so I guess I shouldn't either.
Still......To have sat a bit closer, a bit more central.....

sk

lachlanw88
#591HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 10:23am

Well the cast recording is back on Amazon for a digital release May 12th and hard copy in June !

Can't wait !!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYXFFWY/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

bdboston
#592HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 11:45am

Hey Miz Mamie-- how much did you miss in that box seat? I have tickets for a future performance in seats D1 and D3. Someone on another board had mentioned the box seats on the other side of the house (left) were worse, because of missing parts of the courtroom scene.

Updated On: 4/8/17 at 11:45 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#593HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 12:16pm

I hope they recorded Dolly's short Parade reprise that brings down the curtain. Not sure why it's never included on the cast recordings. 

pnewelljr
#594HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 1:08pm

bdboston said: "Hey Mia Mamie-- how much did you miss in that box seat? I have tickets for a future performance in seats D1 and D3. Someone on another board had mentioned the box seats on the other side of the house (left) were worse, because of missing parts of the courtroom scene."

Just to confirm, the general consensus is that house right (ie stage left) is the better side to be on for a full view, correct?

Updated On: 4/8/17 at 01:08 PM

Phantom4ever
#595HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 1:13pm

BUT . . . the random flashes of light from the usher (especially when no one in our row or area was holding a phone or camera) was every bit as distracting as an unruly audience member. This is my first time seeing a truly high-profile show during previews. Is this behavior common?    

Every time I observe aggressive, rule-enforcing ushers, I find the house manager and thank him or her for managing a house with such hard-working ushers. I would rather be distracted by an usher once than get distracted by an idiot with a phone again and again.

"

pnewelljr
#596HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 1:53pm

I'm trying to decide between e13 and e14 (house left and right respectively). e13 could be fun to be close for the courtroom scene, but less fun if it is cut off. Any experiences?

Updated On: 4/8/17 at 01:53 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#597HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 4:03pm

pnewelljr said: "I'm trying to decide between e13 and e14 (house left and right respectively). e13 could be fun to be close for the courtroom scene, but less fun if it is cut off. Any experiences?

Go with E14 better view for most of the show and Bette's eating scene :)

See attached view from F12 Orch (Matilda) that will give you a perspective.HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#598HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 5:36pm

I went on April 5,2017 at the evening performance. I thought Bette"s  voice was a bit weak but I smiled through the whole show. never clapped until the curtain call.

Yep. Just smiled.

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#599HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 7:34pm

I saw the show last night and this afternoon.  Bette didn't say, "it's live" today. I also felt her exit in the courtroom scene was less abrupt than it was last night. I, too, was concerned she was on a bit of distress because she was coughing. 

I absolutely loved this production. Never has a show made me smile, laugh, and cry all at the same time. I took my mom this afternoon and she thoroughly enjoyed herself. 

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Videos