News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

INTO THE WOODS Reviews

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#550INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/17/22 at 8:23am

Agreed - she won't sell tickets. But I'm just imagining her take on "Last Midnight". She's going to be a powerhouse in this role.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#551INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/17/22 at 8:39am

She doesn’t really need to “help the box office” as the show is closing in less than two months.

The Witch casting hasn’t been exciting since Headley IMO, but I WILL be seeing Joaquina.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#552INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/17/22 at 8:40am

I think the show will do just fine in the next couple months thanks to the holidays. And Joaquina is a fantastic, exciting choice for the Witch.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#553INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/17/22 at 8:53am

Super glad she's starting before I leave for Winter Break! I absolutely need to see her! 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#554INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:17am

I get the sense there's *still* something happening with the show due to *redacted* being so secretive when talking to me. 

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#555INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:18am

now the only question I have is who will be taking over for Cinderella after Denee Benton leaves December 24th? Please let it be Phillipa Soo coming back..............

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

Jordan Catalano
#556INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:20am

Yes, I believe so. Don't hold me to that one, but I think it is.

BCfitasafiddle
#557INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/17/22 at 10:09am

Kalukango will be great as The Witch! I'll definitely be going back to see the show one final time with her.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#558INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:05am

Jordan Catalano said: "Yes she’s going to be very good but won’t help box office."

Looking forward to seeing her and the holidays are what is going to help the box office so it's a win-win. :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Jordan Catalano
#559INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:23am

I have a feeling people are gonna jump on me for that. But I never said she wasn’t going to be fantastic. 

AlexandraCoombs Profile Photo
AlexandraCoombs
#560INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/17/22 at 6:10pm

TheGingerBreadMan said: "Joaquina Kalukango! Great choice, she'll be terrific."

2 weeks early! Wow.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#561INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/18/22 at 1:51am

Maybe her recent Tony win will get some people in the door. I found her straining vocals and yelling on the Tonys off-putting,

I thought the original revival cast featuring Sara was inspired. The rest has been a hodge podge of varying talent, often under rehearsed. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#562INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/18/22 at 1:10pm

According to Instagram, Stephanie tested positive for COVID yesterday and will be out. Mary Kate Moore will be on for the next week or so.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#563INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/20/22 at 8:07am

I finally saw this yesterday afternoon, and I echo every single rave review on here. This production is so special. The whole cast is just incredible. Mary Kate Moore was on for the Baker's Wife, and she was terrific. What I love most about this production is how true it stays to the original. There are no gimmicks. Lear DeBessonet fully trusts the material, and even manages to mine out the humor in the show in a new and exciting ways I have never seen done with any other production of INTO THE WOODS.

Patina Miller is delectably evil, sassy, sexy, and just gorgeous in every way. She really knows how to tap into this indescribable wicked persona. Brian d'Arcy James is so good as the Baker. His "No More" is heartbreaking. Carl, Creel, Harada, and Rodriguez are all on top of their A-games. Just truly stellar performances all around.

I loved the simple and minimal staging. It really allows the show to speak for itself and lets the performances just shine. The puppetry is amazing. I would love for this to run into eternity like CHICAGO with a revolving door of talented actors coming in and out, but I don't think that will be the case. I am so glad I got to see this, though! It's one of those special treats that just reminded me why I love Broadway so much.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#564INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/20/22 at 12:59pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I finally saw this yesterday afternoon, and I echo every single rave review on here. This production is so special. The whole cast is just incredible. Mary Kate Moore was on for the Baker's Wife, and she was terrific. What I love most about this production is how true it stays to the original. There are no gimmicks. Lear DeBessonet fully trusts the material, and even manages to mine out the humor in the show in a new and exciting ways I have never seen done with any other production of INTO THE WOODS.

Patina Miller is delectably evil, sassy, sexy, and just gorgeous in every way. She really knows how to tap into this indescribable wicked persona. Brian d'Arcy James is so good as the Baker. His "No More" is heartbreaking. Carl, Creel, Harada, and Rodriguez are all on top of their A-games. Just truly stellar performances all around.

I loved the simple and minimal staging. It really allows the show to speak for itself and lets the performances just shine. The puppetry is amazing. I would love for this to run into eternity like CHICAGO with a revolving door of talented actors coming in and out, but I don't think that will be the case. I am so glad I got to see this, though! It's one of those special treats that just reminded me why I love Broadway so much.
"

I echo this entirely. I was also there for yesterdays matinee. While at first bummed that Stephanie was not on - my disappointment didn’t last long.  Mary Kate Moore was fantastic!  And the puppetry!!  Amazing!!  Love love LOVE it!  Possibly my fav show this trip.  Wish I could see it again and again!  Maybe it could go on longer like Little Shop of Horrors. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#565INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/20/22 at 5:48pm

Bettyboy72 said: "Maybe her recent Tony win will get some people in the door. I found her straining vocals and yelling on the Tonys off-putting,"

I agree her Tony performance was cringe-worthy, but in her defense, it was just an off-note. I saw the Paradise Square train wreck, and she really did knock the vocals out the park. She'll sound incredible.

MadsonMelo
#566INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/21/22 at 7:10pm

Do we know how many days are The actors off when they have COVID now? Will Block only be Back after Thanksgiving? Has anyone else been out?

BoringBoredBoard40
#567INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/21/22 at 10:31pm

Andy Karl is currently covering for Joshua Henry while he is in LA for Beauty & The Beast LIVE 

V2David
#568INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/21/22 at 11:48pm

Not sure when Block is back, but Mary Kate Moore was FABULOUS at tonight's show.  I saw Block last month (and she is very good), but I actually liked Moore's performance better.  Frankly, I think she should have been given a shot at the role, but she doesn't have the name recognition...

inception Profile Photo
inception
#569INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/22/22 at 7:41am

V2David said: "Not sure when Block is back, but Mary Kate Moore was FABULOUS at tonight's show. I saw Block last month (and she is very good), but I actually liked Moore's performance better. Frankly, I think she should have been given a shot at the role, but she doesn't have the name recognition..."

The first time I saw the show in July, Moore was on and was good.  After I saw a second performance with Bareillis,  I could understand that Moore's performance seemed informed by Bareillis's performance.   Perhaps that still guides her more than Block's method?

V2David
#570INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/22/22 at 10:21am

Well as Moore is the understudy, this wouldn't be surprising.  I think Moore has been linked to other (non-Broadway) iterations of this show, so some of it has probably come on her own.  Regardless, Moore was terrific.  (I have not seen Bareillis is the part).

MadsonMelo
#571INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 11/30/22 at 6:18pm

I was really sad that such a marvelous show would only premiere back when I was already in Brazil, and the Broadway transfer made my hopes high, but I still thought that I wouldn't be able to see the production.

Glad I did, it was my favorite show of the entire trip. I don't know what are the complainings about the current cast, but I loved all. I got to see Mary Kate Moore and she made me cry during ''Moments in the Woods'', and for sure she performs the role in a more Sara way than Stephanie's.

Gavin, Denee, Brian, MONTEGO! All my god, it was such an experience to see actors living those words, lyrics and music and made them meaningful without anything else but their own talent.

It was just simply exquisite in a way that I can't put into words exactly.

Sondheim is the greatest and I will forever be grateful that I got to see 4 (''Company'', ''Sweeney'', ''Merrily'' and ''Into the Woods''INTO THE WOODS Reviews professional productions of his shows in one year.

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#572INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 12/2/22 at 2:20pm

FYI: I've been looking at tickets for the week after Christmas for months, and they've been insanely expensive (like half of the orchestra was $399 + fees), but the prices for that week are down a lot today! It's still a lot of money, but the tickets are finally in a range where I felt comfortable buying them. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#573INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 12/2/22 at 2:28pm

And FYI if you enter GIANTS as promo code when you get to payment window, it’ll take off $20. Not much, but it’s something. 

Markecib
#574INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 12/3/22 at 9:48pm

So it looks like this production is headed to the Kennedy Center for a run from Feb 23-March 19 at the Opera House. There was an announcement in their quarterly magazine, but oddly not on their website. 

Videos