INTO THE WOODS Previews

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#150INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 6:23pm

How did they stage the scene without all the kissing?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#151INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 6:30pm

Brian is out tonight and for at least five days. Such a bummer, I was going tonight but switched my tickets for another date. INTO THE WOODS Previews

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#152INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 6:57pm

Well, that sucks. If they’re still going ahead with opening night, though, doesn’t that pretty much confirm that they’re not planning on Tonys consideration, since the nominees need to have performed on opening night?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#153INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 6:59pm

I don't know if there is glitch, issue or they really did raise prices quite significantly over the last 2 days, but a ticket that I was eyeing at $229 in August is now $299. SeatGeek forever blows. 

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#154INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 7:18pm

Replying to the kiss thing, it was a bunch of almost kisses with her wriggling away at the last second. I didn’t even realize the first time anything was wrong until he sang “Once again please” and I was like wait a minute…it never happened the first time! They did a good job with it but it was a little odd. 

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#155INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 7:23pm

TaffyDavenport said: "the nominees need to have performed on opening night?"

I don't think they're actually strict about that. I think the "opening night" rule is just a way of saying "not a replacement actor, unless that replacement was during previews." That might not be what the rule literally states, but that's the intention behind it, and I think that's how it's generally enforced. It's just a matter of a simple "ruling" from the committee, which would mostly be a formality in a case like this.

I might be misremembering, but wasn't there a case just a few years ago where an actor called out on opening night, but was still Tony eligible?

Even Colin Bates was eligible for Girl From the North Country, after having replaced Colton Ryan post-shutdown. Ryan performed the role in previews, on opening night, and even for the following 1 week of regular performances before COVID. But the nominators don't attend the show so early. They all saw Colin Bates, so they decided he would be eligible instead of Ryan.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#156INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 7:26pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Brian is out tonight and for at least five days. Such a bummer, I was going tonight but switched my tickets for another date. INTO THE WOODS Previews"

Dammit. I'm heartbroken, I'll be there tomorrow and since we're out of towners, we really can't reschedule. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#157INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 7:39pm

I saw the matinee today…

I have no words!
Jason Forbach made his Baker Debut today! He absolutely killed it! Patina Miller’s performance as the witch gave me absolute chills! Sara and Gavin have such a great friendship and I could tell they were enjoying themselves on stage! Overall, this production exceeded my expectations! It made a huge point that you don’t need large sets for a show. As long as you have a story, musicians, and a great cast of talented actors, you can put on a magnificent show! Please take the time to see this show before it closes! Highly recommend! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

northlandfan
#158INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 8:09pm

Hi Jordan

Curious how you know he will be out 5 days...

Hope he doesnt have covid.

Just got back from NYC and was soooo fortunate to see first preview and actors fund performance 2 days later for 75 bucks for center orchestra! I was so impressed with the entire cast.The puppeteer was incredible as well. So sorry to hear he is out with covid.

Any idea if they are filming this show.

BTW  I accidentally (LOL) taped the audio of Brian singing no one is alone. What a voice!!! Can't stop listening to it!

kurtal
#159INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 8:11pm

I was also at the matinee and was gutted at missing Brian, Jason did a great job.  I saw the Encores production as well (with Jason on as Rapunzel's Prince) and don't have a ton to add to the existing discourse...except that I liked Cole Thompson's Jack significantly more today than I did in May...and that I preferred Philippa to Denee.  

I'm lucky to be local, so I'll just hit the lottery really hard to try to get to catch BDJ on before it closes.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#160INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 8:16pm

northlandfan said: "Hi Jordan

Curious how you know he will be out 5 days...
-
This is what I was told. 

Any idea if they are filming this show.
-Last I heard those discussions were no longer being had.

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#161INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 8:22pm

Jason posted on IG that it was his first time going on as The Baker. You never would have suspected. Just stellar!  There were a couple of moments where I missed the smoke, fire, and illusions, but the orchestra and the cast more than made up for it a hundred-fold. Sublime musical theater 

nyla123
#162INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 8:33pm

I just saw today's matinee and this truly is a must see for any fan of the show or Sondheim in general. This is a production I wouldn't regret splurging on if you can afford to and you must.

The cast is beyond incredible, but Lear DeBessonet's direction to me is also one of the main reasons to see this production. Admittedly I have been pretty obsessed with her since her production of Brecht's Good Person of Szechwan at LaMama/the Public and also loved her Public Works productions, but I have never seen a production of ITW (and I've seen a lot) that displayed such an understanding of and connection to the material. It's hard for me to put into words, but I think the way DeBessonet managed to plumb new depths and angles in Moments in the Woods is probably the clearest example of what her direction brings to this revival. I found the bare bones staging also worked very well and only served to better frame the direction and performances.

Also, any chance I get to see a Sondheim musical with a full live orchestra is always a must see for me and this orchestra was fabulous. I can't remember if the '02 revival had a full live orchestra, but this might be the first professional production of ITW I have seen with one (the others being the '02 revival and the Shakespeare in the Park productions). 

Finally, Patina Miller must have really improved/found her way into the role since the early previews, but I thought she was an absolute powerhouse as The Witch. Oh, and I really liked Jason Forbach u/s as the Baker. While I'm sure he's great, I always thought BDJ was a little old for the Baker. Unless you are a major BDJ stan/he's the main reason you are seeing this production, I wouldn't let him being out for the next few performances stop me from seeing it.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#163INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 8:42pm

Thank you for reviewing the direction. First post explaining why this Woods might be unmissable, beyond the stellar array of Broadway’s finest. I’ve seen every iteration since an early preview of the OBC (I saw “Boom Crunch&rdquoINTO THE WOODS Previews and now I believe I have to see this prism on material otherwise so familiar to me.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#164INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 8:45pm

Best wishes to BDJ for a speedy recovery if it is COVID. Have they possibly changed the isolation requirements from 10 days to 5? 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#165INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 9:01pm

kade.ivy said: "Best wishes to BDJ for a speedy recovery if it is COVID. Have they possibly changed the isolation requirements from 10 days to 5?"

I'm wondering if they can test out of the 10 day requirement? Like 10 days or a negative test, whichever comes first? In other settings (like schools), they can return on Day 6 but wearing a mask through Day 10. Obviously that wouldn't be the case with Broadway performers.

nyla123
#166INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/9/22 at 9:25pm

Auggie27 said: "Thank you for reviewing the direction. First postexplaining why this Woods might be unmissable, beyond the stellar array of Broadway’s finest. I’ve seen every iteration since anearly preview of the OBC (I saw “Boom Crunch&rdquoINTO THE WOODS Previews and now I believe I have to see this prism on material otherwise so familiar to me."

Of course! I feel like it was getting a little lost in the discussion (easy to do with the plethora of stellar performances).

Also, I just went back and read an interview with deBessonet from 2017 and I think this quote from her describing her approach absolutely captures why this ITW is so good and what her direction brings to it: "My ultimate compass is unearthing the ‘substructure’ of any work, its deep genre.” To me that's exactly what she does here and what made this production such a revelation to me, something I didn't think was possible given how many productions of ITW I have seen over the years.

Updated On: 7/9/22 at 09:25 PM

sng
#167INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/10/22 at 2:00am

I wish Sondheim was alive to see this production

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#168INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/10/22 at 2:38am

I would love to see Jason Forbach as the Baker. Such an adorable stage presence. I Loved  him as the Prince at City Center. I had also noted that I had preferred Neal P Harris  over Brian. Brian although formidable, read much older. Neal and Sarah seemed right together and their chemistry was apparent.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#169INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/10/22 at 8:57am

JBroadway said: "TaffyDavenport said: "the nominees need to have performed on opening night?"

I don't think they're actually strict about that. I think the "opening night" rule is just a way of saying "not a replacement actor, unless that replacement was during previews." That might not be what the rule literally states, but that's the intention behind it, and I think that's how it's generally enforced. It's just a matter of a simple "ruling" from the committee, which would mostly be a formality in a case like this.

I might be misremembering, but wasn't there a case just a few years ago where an actor called out on opening night, but was still Tony eligible?

Even Colin Bates was eligible for Girl From the North Country, after having replaced Colton Ryan post-shutdown. Ryan performed the role in previews, on opening night, and even for the following 1 week of regular performances before COVID. But the nominators don't attend the show so early. They all saw Colin Bates, so they decided he would be eligible instead of Ryan.
"

OK, I wasn't sure. I'm guessing they'd be more lenient because of COVID anyway, but the only instance I remember in the recent past pre-pandemic was when Andy Karl was injured days before Groundhog Day opened. They couldn't postpone opening because it would push them outside of eligibility, so he did go on, but then took days off afterward.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#170INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/10/22 at 10:38am

I only saw the show at NYCC, but I just noticed in a picture from the bway production there appear to be more trees than when it was at NYCC, is that true or maybe it's just the angle of the picture? I also remember hearing about several small changes in costumes, hair, lighting, effects. I've read most comments in this thread but has anyone (or would anyone like to) make a comment on all of the specific changes? I probably won't make it to see the show on broadway and would love to hear about any changes, no matter how small :)

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#171INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/10/22 at 11:41am

FANtomFollies said: "I only saw the show at NYCC, but I just noticed in a picture from the bway production there appear to be more trees than when it was at NYCC, is that true or maybe it's just the angle of the picture? I also remember hearing about several small changes in costumes, hair, lighting, effects. I've read most comments in this thread but has anyone (or would anyone like to) make a comment on all of the specific changes? I probably won't make it to see the show on broadway and would love to hear about any changes, no matter how small :)"

It’s the exact same set. If there are more trees than at Encores, I didn’t notice. The only “new” thing I saw was that Rapunzel’s Prince brings out a baby carriage with the twins at the end when Milky White comes back in, but I forget if that was also done at Encores. Otherwise, it’s an exact replica.

emida Profile Photo
emida
#172INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/10/22 at 11:44am

Saw the wednesday matinee this week and I had a marvelous time!

The standouts for me were Brian D'Arcy James, Julia Lester and Phillipa Soo. I did love Sara Bareilles in the role, but I was sometimes distracted because her voice didn't always mesh with the rest of the cast. It has such a pop sound. But her comedic timing and acting were top notch!

Patina Miller's Last Midnight was incredible, but I wish she had done more with the role. 

All around, a wonderful and fun production. I'm really glad I was able to catch this one during my first trip back to NYC since the pandemic started. 

I really hope we'll get a cast recording but I doubt it'll happen for a 8 weeks production. Has it ever happened for a limited run like this? 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#173INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/10/22 at 12:12pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "I'm wondering if they can test out of the 10 day requirement? Like 10 days or a negative test, whichever comes first? In other settings (like schools), they can return on Day 6 but wearing a mask through Day 10. Obviously that wouldn't be the case with Broadway performers."

I believe the current rules are five required days of isolation; if you test negative and are asymptomatic days 6-10, you may return but masked.

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#174INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/10/22 at 1:52pm

I picked up some tickets for closing while I was still in the city. I had such a great time and I do wanna make sure I catch BDJ.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

Videos