ALW's Cinderella

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#275ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 11:47am

OhHiii said: "Tell us, how many years have you worked for Andrew? C'mon, tell us."

I know the poster a little offline, and I can tell you he's the biggest ALW fan I've ever met, but most definitely does not work for him. smiley(And I know you were kidding, too.)

OhHiii
#276ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 1:01pm

kdogg36 said: "OhHiii said: "Tell us, how many years have you worked for Andrew? C'mon, tell us."

I know the poster a little offline, and I can tell you he's the biggest ALW fan I've ever met, butmost definitelydoes not work for him.smiley(And I know you were kidding, too.)
"

Ah, the nuance in distinction among shills. Good to know!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#277ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 1:39pm

kdogg36 said: "I know the poster a little offline, and I can tell you he's the biggest ALW fan I've ever met."

That's not an excuse and not a reason someone should not be called out (even tongue in cheek) for blind loyalty. One can say they like someone's work and still condemn their actions. Let's not lose the forest for the trees here.

MemorableUserName
#278ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 1:46pm

Director of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Doomed West End Musical ‘Cinderella’ Is “Angered” Over Treatment Of Cast and Crew On Show

"EXCLUSIVE: Laurence Connor, the British director of troubled West End musical Cinderella, has told friends of his “anger” at how the closure announcement of his show was handled by Andrew Lloyd Webber and his executives.

Connor had not been told his show would be closing. He’d been on a professional assignment in Sydney and was en route to London early Sunday, local Sydney time. At the stopover in Dubai, Connor listened to a voicemail from Lloyd Webber telling him that Cinderella would be closing.

By the time Connor reached the UK on Sunday night, he was informed by friends that the news already was out there. “He reacted furiously,” a source told Deadline today. “He cast all of that company and has been with them through rehearsals and through getting the show up on the stage. We all understand that shows have to open and then at some point they have to close, that’s the nature of the business. However, he would not have wanted the company that he hired to go through any additional anguish.”

Connor was said to be particularly irked that he had recently auditioned a new intake of actors and stage managers who had been due to start work soon."

(more)

Jarethan
#279ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 2:49pm

Is anyone but me surprised they are even bringing it to Broadway.  Nine month flop in London…the last ALW financial success in NYC may have been School of Rock(?) or before that Sunset Blvd (don’t know if it actually returned its investment) or Phantom???  

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#280ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 2:51pm

Im right there with you. I hated the cast recording deeply and don't understand why people would care about this show in America. It's not good. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#281ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 3:11pm

Jarethan said: "Is anyone but me surprised they are even bringing it to Broadway. Nine month flop in London…the last ALW financial success in NYC may have been School of Rock(?) or before that Sunset Blvd (don’t know if it actually returned its investment) or Phantom???"

Def. not Sunet. Even Glen Close couldn't make that a hit. 

Probably Cats? 

Owen22
#282ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 3:54pm

Original bookwriter/lyricist Amy Powers was fired from Sunset Boulevard by reading the notice in the New York Times. Later in the day he did send her a fax, but immediately after Sydmonton there was a Friday NYT notice about the new writers and that she had been let go.  Yet he had yet to tell her! The notice happened so quickly she realised that this must have been going on behind her back for weeks while she was still working diligently on the first reading.

Dolly80
#283ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 7:22pm

It’s the worst show ive ever seen. And I’ve seen every musical in the last 40 years on Broadway and in London. It has no redeeming features, except the interval and the end.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#284ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 7:36pm

Feels like this is ALW's little pet and regardless of the bad press, this is still coming to Broadway. Guess we can mark this as next season's flop?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#285ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 8:18pm

HogansHero said: "kdogg36 said: "I know the poster a little offline, and I can tell you he's the biggest ALW fan I've ever met."

That's not an excuse and not a reason someone should not be called out (even tongue in cheek) for blind loyalty. One can say they like someone's work and still condemn their actions. Let's not lose the forest for the trees here.
"

While I appreciate kdogg's support, I'm not blindly being loyal.  I have a different opinion than those who seem to want to jump on the bandwagon of haters desperate for the next opportunity to get outraged about something and want to assign a scapegoat to an awful situation - like a show closing.  Funny, some of those enraged and assigning all the blame to ALW are the same ones who keep saying how the show is a piece of crap.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#286ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 8:48pm

ACL2006 said: "Feels like this is ALW's little pet and regardless of the bad press, this is still coming to Broadway. Guess we can mark this as next season's flop?"

Ehhh... I'm not going to page Dougal just yet. As with everything, we shall see.

Oh look, a bibu!

Theatre Fan3
#287ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 8:56pm

chernjam said: "HogansHero said: "kdogg36 said: "I know the poster a little offline, and I can tell you he's the biggest ALW fan I've ever met."

"

While I appreciate kdogg's support, I'm not blindly being loyal. I have a different opinion than those who seem to want to jump on the bandwagon of haters desperate for the next opportunity to get outraged about something and want to assign a scapegoat to an awful situation - like a show closing. Funny, some of those enraged and assigning all the blame to ALW are the same ones who keep saying how the show is a piece of crap.
"

One man's crap is another man's caviar.wink

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#288ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 5/3/22 at 9:06pm

chernjam said: "While I appreciate kdogg's support, I'm not blindly being loyal. I have a different opinion than those who seem to want to jump on the bandwagon of haters desperate for the next opportunity to get outraged about something and want to assign a scapegoat to an awful situation - like a show closing. Funny, some of those enraged and assigning all the blame to ALW are the same ones who keep saying how the show is a piece of crap."

Do you consider the director of the show to be among those who thinks his work product is a piece of crap? 

Sorry, not buying what you are selling. What ALW did is inexcusable and if you can't acknowledge that, I don't see how you can have a claim to credibility.

On another point, regarding bringing the show to New York, don't hold your breath.

Updated On: 5/3/22 at 09:06 PM

Ke3
#289ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/8/22 at 10:23pm

Carrie Hope Fletcher uploaded a youtube video today, and based on it, I don’t think she’s coming over with the show. She mentioned she’s been auditioning for a lot of stuff that would start this fall/next spring. Makes sense though, isn’t Sarah Brightman the only time Andrew has kept the same lead from London to Broadway?

sherie_worshipper Profile Photo
sherie_worshipper
#290ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/8/22 at 11:01pm

Ke3 said: "Carrie Hope Fletcher uploaded a youtube video today, and based on it, I don’t think she’s coming over with the show. She mentioned she’s been auditioning for a lot of stuff that would start this fall/next spring. Makes sense though, isn’t Sarah Brightman the only time Andrew has kept the same lead from London to Broadway?"

Michael Crawford and Steve Barton came over with Phantom too. Michael Ball, Ann Crumb, Kevin Colson and Kathleen Rowe McAllen came over with Aspects of Love. Maria Friedman, Jill Paice and Angela Christian came over with The Woman in White (Michael Ball, who followed Michael Crawford in the London production, also came with them). Elena Roger came over with the revival of Evita.

Updated On: 6/8/22 at 11:01 PM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#291ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/12/22 at 1:59pm

Alw didn't show up to closing night, but wrote an appalling letter read by Laurence Connor while audience was booing at him: www.instagram.com/tv/Cetn-8koM61/?igshid=NWRhNmQxMjQ=

Min 7-9

Updated On: 6/12/22 at 01:59 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#292ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/12/22 at 2:52pm

Wow, wonder if this is still on track to come over? New director? New leads? I mean, the show looked cheap as hell in London. There's vid online and it looked like mid-level summer stock. 

joshdog2014
#293ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/12/22 at 2:54pm

imeldasturn said: "Alw didn't show up to closing night, but wrote an appalling letter read by Laurence Connor while audience was booing at him:www.instagram.com/tv/Cetn-8koM61/?igshid=NWRhNmQxMjQ=

Min 7-9
"

That letter was really something… who publicly calls their own show a “costly mistake” at its closing?? He did not do any favors for himself toward that already mad crowd… no wonder he didn’t show up 

Updated On: 6/12/22 at 02:54 PM

leefowler
#294ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/12/22 at 3:06pm

For what it’s worth, I had a great time at Cinderella.It wasn’t a good show, but I had a great time.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#295ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/12/22 at 3:38pm

joshdog2014 said: "imeldasturn said: "Alw didn't show up to closing night, but wrote an appalling letter read by Laurence Connor while audience was booing at him:www.instagram.com/tv/Cetn-8koM61/?igshid=NWRhNmQxMjQ=

Min 7-9
"

That letter was really something… who publicly calls their own show a “costly mistake” at its closing?? He did not do any favors for himself toward that already mad crowd… no wonder he didn’t show up
"

Okay so I can’t stand ALW or what he did in the handling of this, but based on the video I got the sense he was saying the lack of government assistance, fighting to get theatres open, and opening Cinderella when perhaps it just wasn’t the right time yet given the circumstance, was the costly mistake. 

It didn’t read to me like Cinderella itself was the costly mistake, but opening when they did was? 

It still comes across horribly, and best kept as behind the scenes discussion. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#296ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/12/22 at 5:51pm

Yes I thought his point was the opening *timing* was a costly mistake, yet everyone wants be ‘outraged’ and take the quote out of context suggesting he thought *the show* was a costly mistake. Correct me if I’m wrong. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

threetwoone Profile Photo
threetwoone
#297ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/12/22 at 5:52pm

I was there this afternoon. Flew to London specifically to catch the final performance. It was my first time seeing the show actually.

The cast’s reaction left nothing to the imagination. Carrie was shaking her head, not so subtly I might add. Many other eyes went wide. It seemed like they couldn’t believe what they were hearing from the letter.

It was such a joyous performance up until the point the letter was read and then the room turned totally sour. I will never understand why Laurence Connor agreed to read it. Assuming he read it beforehand backstage, it’s bizarre he didn’t question certain things in it. As the director, I’m sure he didn’t take kindly to having it be called a costly mistake

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#298ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/12/22 at 6:31pm

binau said: "Yes I thought his point was the opening *timing* was a costly mistake, yet everyone wants be ‘outraged’ and take the quote out of context suggesting he thought *the show* was a costly mistake. Correct me if I’m wrong."

Yeah the fact that people were booing ALW before the letter was read tells you that this was more of a CHF friendly crowd.  And I'm pretty done with all the faux outrage that this cast has been throwing ALW's way, with this latest being that he was calling the entire show when he was clearly saying the "costly mistake" was the timing with COVID 

willep
#299ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/12/22 at 7:43pm

Yeah, he was very clearly talking about the timing of their opening.