pixeltracker

Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?

Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#1Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/5/20 at 5:38pm

Am I crazy or was there talk of this a few year's back. It's the one Kander & Ebb show that I've been dying to see... 

matt1982
#2Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/5/20 at 5:55pm

Yes, I thought I remembered Roundabout doing a reading.  Wasn't Audra involved?  maybe Roundabout will mount it down the road.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#3Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/5/20 at 5:59pm

Yeah Audra, Alan Cumming and Steven Pasquale. A starry cast but none of them is necessarily the best fit for the characters imho.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/5/20 at 7:43pm

First reopen Broadway. See how distancing and masks work out and what to do about those who ignore it. Than and only than think of a specific show

Poster Emeritus

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#5Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/5/20 at 8:11pm

Or we can multitask those thoughts

ElphabaGoodman
#6Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/5/20 at 9:17pm

I would love to see Katrina Lenk play Aurora, if the show were ever to be revived.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#7Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/5/20 at 9:20pm

After having gotten a little taste of it in Prince of Broadway, I’d love to see Janet Dacal as Aurora.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#8Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/5/20 at 10:49pm

There were rumours of Heather Headley (and an all African-American cast version) years ago that never materialized.

Also if you haven't seen Donna Murphy sing the title song at the Kennedy Center Honors, then get yourself to Youtube :)

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#9Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/5/20 at 11:02pm

Mr Roxy said: "First reopen Broadway. See how distancing and masks work out and what to do about those who ignore it. Than and only than think of a specific show "

Yeah, No. You have no authority here, now, be gone before someone drops a house on you too. 

Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 5/5/20 at 11:02 PM

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#10Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 12:01am

Heather Headley would be my DREAM for a revival, with Katrina Lenk, Stephanie J. Block, and Naya Rivera up there.

I also think a film adaptation would easily get Jennifer Lopez an Oscar nomination, and it's the perfect vehicle for her. 

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#11Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 12:21am

I’d love to see an all-Latino production.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#12Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 1:52am

HeyMrMusic said: "I’d love to see an all-Latino production."

Yes, please! Is that too much to ask?

#broadwaysowhite

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#13Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 2:58am

Mr Roxy said: "First reopen Broadway. See how distancing and masks work out and what to do about those who ignore it. Than and only than think of a specific show"

Don't be silly Mr Roxy---what else can we do except create our own fantasy show? Now is the perfect time.

You loved that film fantasy Hollywood [I hated it] so why not fantasise about Broadway right now?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#14Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 3:43am

imeldasturn said: "Yeah Audra, Alan Cumming and Steven Pasquale. A starry cast but none of them is necessarily the best fit for the characters imho. "

I personally love casting! It would be an absolute dream. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#15Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 12:13pm

If I remember correctly, there was a workshop/reading with Audra, Alan Cumming, and Steven Pasquale at Roundabout. However, there was talks of a revival of the play version. Not sure if it was before of after the Roundabout reading. 

I just remember people here lamenting that it wasn't the musical, and the play should (in theory) be dead, now that the musical was larger. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

nasty_khakis
#16Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 12:46pm

Someone I know who works for Kander said the Roundabout reading was part of. "retooling" the show to work for Audra and not in the same "song and dance siren" way it was for Chita/Bebe/Vanessa Willams. 

The play is (was?) on Classic Stage Company's season next year. I remember getting a few excited texts and then had to say it was the play not the musical and everyone's response was  basically "oh...why?"

Theatrefanboy1
#17Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 12:54pm

I would love to see a version with Alice Ripley or heather headley or Donna Murphy.

With Johnathan Groff, Jeremy Jordan or (once again I’ll throw him into the mix) TImothee Chalamet. But I would love the first two

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#18Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 12:56pm

My current dream cast for this would be starring Amber Gray, with Ben Winshaw as Molina and Raúl Esparza as Valentin.

(sorry about that gasp you just uttered). 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 5/6/20 at 12:56 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#19Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 12:56pm

HeyMrMusic said: "I’d love to see an all-Latino production."

Me too! Karen Olivo would be fabulous, but she's more of a "mover" than a dancer. Moulin Rouge did an excellent job of concealing her limitations and highlighting what she is capable of dance wise. Acting and singing wise, she'd be perfect. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#20Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 12:59pm

I’m surprised the play sticks around; I haven’t read it for years but isn’t it very very close, almost too close, to the musical?

Much like the Christopher Bond Sweeney Todd was rendered almost entirely obsolete by the musical.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#21Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 1:32pm

Karen Olivo & Raul Esparza sound like really inspired choices, too. I'm surprised that this show has taken so long to get a revival. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

SporkGoddess
#22Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 2:23pm

I'd also love an all-Latino production.

And I second the recommendation of Donna Murphy's performance. She makes it sound like a Bond theme!

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#23Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 7:41pm

darquegk said: "I’m surprised the play sticks around; I haven’t read it for years but isn’t it very very close, almost too close, to the musical?

Much like the Christopher Bond Sweeney Todd was rendered almost entirely obsolete by the musical.

God no, the play only has two characters. The musical almost takes the piece into fan fiction mode; it added so much that wasn't there - including the main character. It works, but it has little to do with the minimalist tone and size of the play.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#24Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/6/20 at 8:32pm

Thanks for the clarification. I seem to have confused it more with the novel or film...

Owen22
#25Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?
Posted: 5/7/20 at 10:37pm

ljay889 said: "HeyMrMusic said: "I’d love to see an all-Latino production."

Me too! Karen Olivo would be fabulous, but she's more of a "mover" than a dancer. Moulin Rouge did an excellent job of concealing her limitations and highlighting what she is capable of dance wise. Acting and singing wise, she'd be perfect.
"

Didn't she win a Tony for playing the " female dance LEAD" in West Side Story?

Videos