News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread- Page 7

2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#1502019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:04pm

Guess I'm in the minority, but I loved the Hadestown number - really showed the aesthetic. But, I can understand why a more energetic number might have also been a good/better choice; I'm biased because Wait For Me has been seared in my brain since seeing the show and it was the memorable moment in context.

brdway411
#1512019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:04pm

Really not digging James as a host. Was hoping for much better gags, skits, numbers. Boring.

yesraccoons Profile Photo
yesraccoons
#1522019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:07pm

I feel like the Hadestown performance was lacking as well... they had so many others numbers that would’ve been better and more powerful. Not to mention Reeve Carney was the weakest main cast member...

AEA AGMA SM
#1532019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:09pm

RWPrincess said: "Hadestown should have done either the opening number or Way Down. I’m not sure that performance is going to move the needle much for them. Though it may not matter considering all the awards they’ve won.

I enjoyed the BMC spoof because that’s the type of thing James does best. But I’d still like to see it performed by George Salazar.
"

There's not much further the needle can move for Hadestown's ticket sales currently.

all_that_jazz Profile Photo
all_that_jazz
#1542019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:09pm

What the hell does this feud bit have to do with celebrating bway. James Corden is not funny. We need to go back to having bway star hosts and presenters. This show is much like most.of the shows this year. Dull and mindnumbing.

BamaEd
#1552019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:10pm

That's the most entertained I've been by Laura Linney in a while. More of that please.

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#1562019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:11pm

From someone who hasn’t seen Hadestown nor listened to much of the music, I loved the performance.

52889j
#1572019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:12pm

Knowing what we know about Rachel Chavkin and Anais Mitchell, it's not hard for me to imagine that Wait for Me was chosen precisely because it would give Reeve Carney his moment. It also seems to be the moment they've kept in their back pocket throughout all of their televised performances. 

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#1582019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:12pm

YAY HADESTOWN FOR BEST SCORE!!!! Woooohooo!!!’

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#1592019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:13pm

Also loved that beautiful Hadestown performance. And I mean... them winning best musical will sell tickets... even though the show is sold out...

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#1602019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:13pm

52889j said: "Knowing what we know about Rachel Chavkin and Anais Mitchell, it's not hard for me to imagine that Wait for Me was chosen preciselybecauseit would give Reeve Carney his moment. It also seems to be the moment they've kept in their back pocket throughout all of their televised performances."

I thought so too. Eva was VERY pissed off that Reeve was not nominated, and she did not hide her disdain, nor did others involved in the show. I'm happy he was featured, great performance.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#1612019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:14pm

dearalanaaaa said: "let's remember reeve carney wasn't even nominated. Amber Grey, Patrick Page, and Eva should've been more featured for the performance, what a shame. I really hope they get best musical either way."

That may be why they gave him this moment. Perhaps?

CedricOates
#1622019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:16pm

It should be a crime we didn’t get to hear Patrick Page’s bass at Radio City Music Hall tonight

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#1632019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:17pm

Loved the Hadestown number. Wish Amber had been in it more - her loss was my biggest disappointment so far. Was really hoping this would propel her into stardom and she wouldn’t go back downtown to stuff you never hear about

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#1642019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:18pm

THAT'S choreography

Just give the world Love.

brdway411
#1652019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:19pm

I was so bored with KMK. That was their best number. The rest of the show was so boring.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#1662019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:19pm

all_that_jazz said: "What the hell does this feud bit have to do with celebrating bway. James Corden is not funny. We need to go back to having bway star hosts and presenters. This show is much like most.of the shows this year. Dull and mindnumbing."

I mean, he did win a Tony. 

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#1672019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:20pm

ChildofEarth said: "Loved the Hadestown number. Wish Amber had been in it more - her loss was my biggest disappointment so far."

THIS.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#1682019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

Who's the girl sitting with Laurie Metcalf? She's looked so uninterested all evening.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

Sarah329
#1692019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

Sorry if this isn’t on topic, but is anyone else’s stream being reaaaaally glitchy and freezing out on parts? In the “beef” and “drama” section some lines went silent and the tv became pixelated. Just me?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#1702019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:22pm

sbflyfan said: "Who's the girl sitting with Laurie Metcalf? She's looked so uninterested all evening."

Her daughter?

brdway411
#1712019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:28pm

Yes, just saw OKLAHOMA Wednesday. I loved it. So happy it won.

SFFrontRow
#1722019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:30pm

ChildofEarth said: "Loved the Hadestown number. Wish Amber had been in it more - her loss was my biggest disappointment so far. Was really hoping this would propel her into stardom and she wouldn’t go back downtown to stuff you never hear about"

Disappointed for Amber as she has worked on the development of this show for so long. But, I saw her in an interview talking about how she loves what she does, works on what she likes, and just now (after all these years), she has been in a couple commercially important shows (Comet and Hadestown).

I have not seen anything yet as I am on the west coast and we have to wait until 8pm our time. The Oscars and Golden Globes are broadcast live, I think the Emmys too. The Tonys and the Grammys we get tape delayed.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#1732019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:31pm

Uh, that Cher Show segment is by far the lamest performance of the night.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#1742019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 10:32pm

The Cher Show performance, not too shabby. 2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

Videos