News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 16

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#375Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 10:52am

Fordham2015 said: "Got tickets in the rear orchestra so we'd be in the "Sing out, Louise" zone."

The Majestic has a very long and steep orchestra. I wonder if she will really enter clear at the back of it or if she'll enter at the mid-orchestra point which wouldn't include the stairs?!? (Around row K-ish I think?)

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

azsmalls06
#376Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 10:52am

Got my tickets! This would be my first time seeing opening previews of any show, but I just have to witness my favorite theatre actress in one of the greatest theatre roles for the first time with a bunch of others who are also seeing it for the first time.

I think I have a good seat and the price for it wasn’t too eye-watering either for how much money I have. I just hope I’ll be able to keep this date, what with the no refund policy. 

angoradebs
#377Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 10:54am

TaffyDavenport said: "angoradebs said:

"Definitelysome new seat numbering - looks like what used to be row K in orchestra for Phantom is now row M"

If it's correct, rows K and L in the side orchestra sections have been removed, not renumbered/lettered.

"

I'm not sure that's true, because the orchestra used to widen at Q and now it widens at S. 

It looks like side orch now has 12 rows before the gap/aisle where it used to have 10.

Updated On: 5/30/24 at 10:54 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#378Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 10:58am

The prices are wild. I'm almost certain (barring some huge star announcement as Herbie or Louise, which I doubt) there will be discount codes available to this one eventually.

The theater is huge and Audra (queen, though she may be) is not going to move hundreds of $200-300 tickets to each performance.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#379Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:02am

Does anyone know when the Majestic’s in-person box office will be open? Telecharge just says it’s not open at this time, which, duh.

I don’t mind sitting in the mid-rear mezz to save some money (views on SeatPlan aren’t bad at all), but it would really pain me to spend $114 per ticket when they would be $99 if I could just run down to grab them.

gibsons2
#380Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:06am

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "The theater is huge and Audra (queen, though she may be) is not going to move hundreds of $200-300 tickets to each performance."

That's what I'm counting on. I've decided to wait for TKTS or even TDF. Worst case scenario, I'll see it in the dead of winter slow season. Bad seats shouldn't cost that much.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#381Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:08am

People forget that Audra's last two shows on Broadway ("Frankie & Johnny" and "Ohio State Murders") had something like a 25% weekly attendance and average price of $1.25 per ticket. So people may love her but we have proof that just her alone isn't enough to get people into the theater. It will be very interesting to see how long those seats stay at $400. 

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#382Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:09am

TBFL said: "Personally, this doesn't appeal.. Yes she's hugely talented, but the idea of a soprano Mamma Rose does nothing for me. And i'm all Gypsy'd out for a good few years."

For me, performing Sondheim well (or in this case Jule Styne/Sondheim) isn't about the specific range of your voice. It's how well you can convey the character through song. 

For example, I was just watching video of Harvey Fierstein singing "Rose's Turn" and thought you know what... this works too. 

Also, I just stumbled on concert footage of Audra performing "Rose's Turn" and not shockingly found her take pretty compelling.  

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#383Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:12am

Anybody have the picture of the new majestic interior view from the stage! Trying to see where my seats are. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#384Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:13am

angoradebs said: "TaffyDavenport said: "angoradebs said:

"Definitelysome new seat numbering - looks like what used to be row K in orchestra for Phantom is now row M"

If it's correct, rows K and L in the side orchestra sections have been removed, not renumbered/lettered.

"

I'm not sure that's true, because the orchestra used to widen at Q and now it widens at S.

It looks like side orch now has 12 rows before the gap/aisle where it used to have 10.
"

Ok, they added rows I and J to the front side orchestra, but they're not shown on the seating chart to buy tickets:

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#385Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:13am

I’m also going to wait from buying tickets at these current prices and just see what the rush policy is. I live in NYC area so I can always watch it in the slow season late January or February.

A friend told me the last 2 Gypsy revivals didn’t recoup so maybe there will be discounts later on.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#386Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:20am

If the supporting cast is as big as some have been hinting, combined with Audra and the legendary musical, I think this could indeed be an event with strong sales. Audra alone won’t be able to sell it out long term. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#387Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:23am

I'm surprised they didn't announce more of that casting today, really. 

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#388Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:25am

Is anyone else having trouble with Telecharge? It says processing but the sale never completes! UGH!!! 

hearthemsing22
#389Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:26am

Any rumors for Louise??

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#390Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:30am

Jordan Catalano said: "I'm surprised they didn't announce more of that casting today, really."

It's likely because- regardless of whatever rumors are flying around- none of it has yet been finalized.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#391Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:31am

I hope we won't be getting Will Swenson as Herbie!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#392Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:31am

Famebroadway2 said: "Is anyone else having trouble with Telecharge? It says processing but the sale never completes! UGH!!!"

Check your account, it might have gone through. Mine never officially processed, and I didn't get a confirmation email, but I was charged, and the ticket is in my orders.

Updated On: 5/30/24 at 11:31 AM

pathman2
#393Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:33am

TaffyDavenport said: "angoradebs said: "TaffyDavenport said: "angoradebs said:

"

"

Ok, they added rows I and J to the front side orchestra, but they're notshown on the seating chart to buy tickets:

"

Seems to me they relettered the rows AND added 2 rows in the orchestra near the stage (new rows AA and BB). Here's the old chart to compare:

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#394Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:42am

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "The prices are wild. I'm almost certain (barring some huge star announcement as Herbie or Louise, which I doubt) there will be discount codes available to this one eventually.

The theater is huge and Audra (queen, though she may be) is not going to move hundreds of $200-300 tickets to each performance.
"

Yeah, I see no problem in holding to buy tickets. This is not a Daniel Radcliffe/Bette Midler situation. And if the ad campaign is indeed going to remain AUDRA GYPSY, there's no way they're getting someone bigger than her for Herbie or Louise. Good theatre actors? Sure. But not box office drivers.

As with all shows that start with high prices: They can drop if the demand isn't there. I'm sure there'll be discount codes and TKTS seats in this show's future.

That doesn't mean it can't do well, can't be good, can't recoup, etc...

babyjunegem
#395Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:54am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "WiCkEDrOcKS said: "The prices are wild. I'm almost certain (barring some huge star announcement as Herbie or Louise, which I doubt) there will be discount codes available to this one eventually.

"

Yeah, I see no problem in holding to buy tickets. This is not a Daniel Radcliffe/Bette Midler situation. And if the ad campaign is indeed going to remain AUDRA GYPSY, there's no way they're getting someonebiggerthan her for Herbie or Louise. Good theatre actors? Sure. But not box office drivers.

As with all shows that start with high prices: They can drop if the demand isn't there. I'm sure there'll be discount codes and TKTS seats in this show's future.

That doesn't mean it can't do well, can't be good, can't recoup, etc...
"

I can see a number of big name actors (and possibly singers) setting their egos aside to star in this production. There is a chance to expand the demographics beyond the typical theatergoing audience. 

bigbelterbaby
#396Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:57am

I sang in the choir in December when Audra was a guest narrator at Epcot for the Candlelight Processional. She was one of the best narrators I’ve heard and while she did do a post-Christmas performance, her dates were like December 25th-26th, her crowds were not full :( I was really hoping she would come back next December and pick dates before Christmas but she’s booked ;) hopefully one day! 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

sppunk
#397Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:00pm

I grabbed Orch row 0 tickets for $195/each for the week before it opens, which I don't think is an awwwwful deal. Row N was $318! It's been a looooooong time I was in the Majestic and I've never seen a stage production of Gypsy, so looking forward to it. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#398Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:09pm

I'll wait for a discount code to pop up and for the Majestic box office to open. Anyone know of when their box office will reopen?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Chase Miller
#399Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:16pm

If only Heather Headley was younger! She’d be a great Louise. 

Videos