News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 2

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 2:54pm

Kad said: "Wasn’t George C. Wolfe rumored to be attached as director when this was a Rudin venture? Would love for that to come to pass.

Would also love to see a woman director’s take on the show.
"

Please not Lonny Price!

Wonder who's producing this. Tom Kirdahy? Jeffrey Richards? They're the two non-Rudin producers she's worked with most recently. I believe Roundabout was, at one point, attached to the Jonathan Kent/Imelda Staunton revival.

Updated On: 1/4/24 at 02:54 PM

Rentaholic2
#26Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 3:01pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "I wonder if the discourse about the name will start again. If they're going to change it, rolling it out with a new production would help smooth things over with the die-hard originalists."

Sorry if I'm late to the game, but...what discourse about the name? 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#27Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 3:05pm

George C Wolfe really could be a great director for this. If Audra is indeed Rose, I hope they lean into the performer being Black and how that changes the dynamics of her relationships, instead of making it a "color-blind" production.

Herbie is such a thankless role that anyone the caliber of Stokes would be a waste. Having said that, Raul Esparza has been away from Broadway for way too long and would be a great Herbie...

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#28Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 3:06pm

Rentaholic2 said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "I wonder if the discourse about the name will start again. If they're going to change it, rolling it out with a new production would help smooth things over with the die-hard originalists."

"

Some people take issue with the word "Gypsy" describing a person in the transient world of the performing arts.

From the Wikipedia page about the Legacy Robe (née Gypsy Robe) ––

The exact origins of the original name "gypsy robe" are not known, however theatre historians believe it to relate to the travelling lifestyle of early 20th century American actors, which was associated with clichés about the supposed lifestyle of Romani people. Eventually, "gypsy" became a common term in the theatre profession when referring to Broadway dancers, some of whom would embrace the term as a form of self-identity.[7]

In the 2010s, with an increased awareness of diversity issues in the theater profession, usage of the term became less common, and Actor's Equity decided that they did not want to have the tradition of the robe associated with what many perceived to be an ethnic slur. On April 18, 2018, they announced that the name of robe would be changed at the end of the current theater season. A poll was opened to union members to vote on a new name.[8][9] The new name chosen is the "Legacy Robe"; the first Legacy Robe presentation took place on July 26, 2018, during the musical Head Over Heels.[1]

RUkiddingme
#29Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 3:36pm

These casting suggestions all fall into the makes sense category.  When we all know nothing gets traditional casting anymore.

I see a black Mama Rose, with a white Herbie, an Asian American June and a trans Louise. Or maybe a trans Tulsa.

We'll see!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#30Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 3:36pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "The role may be below him at this point especially if he's Oscar-nominated this year, but I'd love to see Jeffrey Wright as Herbie. Or Brandon Uranowitz, or David Hyde Pierce, or Kevin Del Aguila, or Reed Birney...endless possibilities for a role that's not hard to play well."

So you’re kicking ideas of people who are respectively 58, 37, 64, 54, and 69.

This reads more like a dream b***t rotation than a Herbie wish list

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

BorisTomashevsky
#31Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 3:46pm

Non-Jewish actress gets dragged for playing Fanny Brice.

Non-white actress gets accolades for maybe playing Rose Hovick.

What way does the street go again? 

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#32Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 4:10pm

Love the fact that one line for the New York Post article gets all of the attention (and rightly so!).

I was at Audra's Saratoga Springs show with the Philly Orchestra and she killed with Rose's Turn to close the first half.  Can't wait to see this happen!

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#33Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 4:19pm

RUkiddingme said: "These casting suggestions all fall into the makes sense category. When we all know nothing gets traditional casting anymore.

I see a black Mama Rose, with a white Herbie, an Asian American June and a trans Louise. Or maybe a trans Tulsa.

We'll see!
"

who hurt you baby

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Alex Kulak2
#34Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 4:32pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Rentaholic2 said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "I wonder if the discourse about the name will start again. If they're going to change it, rolling it out with a new production would help smooth things over with the die-hard originalists."

"

Some people take issue with the word "Gypsy" describing a person in the transient world of the performing arts.

The exact origins of the original name "gypsy robe" are not known, however theatre historians believe it to relate to the travelling lifestyle of early 20th century American actors, which was associated withclichés about the supposed lifestyle of Romani people. Eventually, "gypsy" became a common term in the theatre profession when referring to Broadway dancers, some of whom would embrace the term as a form of self-identity.[7]

In the 2010s, with an increased awareness of diversity issues in the theater profession, usage of the term became less common, and Actor's Equity decided that they did not want to have the tradition of the robe associated with what many perceived to be an ethnic slur. On April 18, 2018, they announced that the name of robe would be changed at the end of the current theater season. A poll was opened to union members to vote on a new name.[8][9]The new name chosen is the "Legacy Robe"; the first Legacy Robe presentation took place on July 26, 2018, during the musicalHead Over Heels.[1]
"

This is a great video essay from And Now They Sing about the discourse, and the argument for changing the name of the show (they even called Audra McDonald playing Mama Rose!)

Rentaholic2
#35Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 4:50pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Rentaholic2 said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "I wonder if the discourse about the name will start again. If they're going to change it, rolling it out with a new production would help smooth things over with the die-hard originalists."

"

The exact origins of the original name "gypsy robe" are not known, however theatre historians believe it to relate to the travelling lifestyle of early 20th century American actors, which was associated withclichés about the supposed lifestyle of Romani people. Eventually, "gypsy" became a common term in the theatre profession when referring to Broadway dancers, some of whom would embrace the term as a form of self-identity.[7]

In the 2010s, with an increased awareness of diversity issues in the theater profession, usage of the term became less common, and Actor's Equity decided that they did not want to have the tradition of the robe associated with what many perceived to be an ethnic slur. On April 18, 2018, they announced that the name of robe would be changed at the end of the current theater season. A poll was opened to union members to vote on a new name.[8][9]The new name chosen is the "Legacy Robe"; the first Legacy Robe presentation took place on July 26, 2018, during the musicalHead Over Heels.[1]
"

Thisis a great video essay from And Now They Sing about the discourse, and the argument for changing the name of the show (they even called Audra McDonald playing Mama Rose!)
"

Wow, did not know about any of this.  Seems like modern-day theater audiences are plenty capable of distinguishing between the use of the word as a slur and the common colloquial English use.  At any rate, highly doubt they will change the name.  

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#36Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 5:35pm

This thread is going to hell real quick.

Rentaholic2
#37Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 6:23pm

TotallyEffed said: "This thread is going to hell real quick."

Apologies, did not mean to revive the "discourse" - I just had no idea this was ever something people were concerned about.  

Back to the main topic - I found the audio of Audra signing Rose's Turn and noticed that she raises the key for the latter part of the song, which is obviously a better fit for her voice.  As great as she is, the number just isn't quite as thrilling to me when sung by a soprano in her style.  But she'll of course slay regardless.  

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#38Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 7:04pm

I am always up for Gypsy and I’m always up for Audra but it’s hard for me to imagine anyone ever topping LuPone. One of the most remarkable performances I’ve ever seen on stage. The good news is Audra will bring something totally different to the role.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#39Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 7:10pm

TotallyEffed said: "I am always up for Gypsy and I’m always up for Audra but it’s hard for me to imagine anyone ever topping LuPone. One of the most remarkable performances I’ve ever seen on stage. The good news is Audra will bring something totally different to the role."

While Patti was fantastic (as was the rest of the cast), the physical prodution was very lackluster with cheap sets and costumes. I know it was a quick NYCC transfer but I'm really hoping the Audra production is lush and beautiful. 

mshalo18
#40Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 7:36pm

I'm game for any production of Gypsy- but Tyne Daly's "Rose's Turn" gives me chills to this day just thinking about it.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#41Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 7:38pm

Rentaholic2 said: "TotallyEffed said: "This thread is going to hell real quick."

Apologies, did not mean to revive the "discourse" - I just had no idea this was ever something people were concerned about.

Back to the main topic - I found the audio of Audra signing Rose's Turn and noticed that she raises the key for the latter part of the song, which is obviously a better fit for her voice. As great as she is, the number just isn't quite as thrilling to me when sung by a soprano in her style. But she'll of course slay regardless.
"

Hey, care to share pls where you found it looked can't find

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Musicaldudepeter
#43Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 7:50pm

I listened to the audio too. Just search for it in Tumblr. It's not great. There is great dramatic intensity, but the soprano really doesn't work. I'm all for changing keys, a la Barbara Cook or Imelda Staunton in Follies, or Patti LuPone in the 2005 Sweeney Todd, but this is like making Butterfly or Mimi a mezzo, or making Carmen a soprano. I just don't think it works. Can Audra not belt? There is a wonderful audio on YouTube of Victoria Clark singing Everything's Coming up Roses in a Sondheim revue from 20 years ago, and she belts the whole thing and she sounds extraordinary. Audra will by far be the most unconventional Rose. She will act the sh!t out of it, that's for sure. 

Updated On: 1/4/24 at 07:50 PM

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#44Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 7:52pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "https://nypost.com/2024/01/04/entertainment/sunset-boulevard-starring-nicole-scherzinger-comes-to-broadway-this-fall/"

Why does everyone on here keep linking to the NY Post????

Ke3
#45Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 8:12pm

Musicaldudepeter said: "I listened to the audio too. Just search for it in Tumblr. It's not great. There is great dramatic intensity, but the soprano really doesn't work. I'm all for changing keys, a la Barbara Cook or Imelda Staunton in Follies, or Patti LuPone in the 2005 Sweeney Todd, but this is like making Butterfly or Mimi a mezzo, or making Carmen a soprano. I just don't think it works. Can Audra not belt? There is a wonderful audio on YouTube of Victoria Clark singing Everything's Coming up Roses in a Sondheim revue from 20 years ago, and she belts the whole thing and she sounds extraordinary. Audra will by far be the most unconventional Rose. She will act the sh!t out of it, that's for sure."

There was a time in the early aughts where Audra was doing a lot of belting but I think a moment came where she decided to fully embrace being a soprano. People forget she did not *want* to be an operatic soprano. She's talked about the journey of growing to love it.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#46Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 8:14pm

Matt Rogers said: "jacobsnchz14 said: "https://nypost.com/2024/01/04/entertainment/sunset-boulevard-starring-nicole-scherzinger-comes-to-broadway-this-fall/"

Why does everyone on here keep linking to the NY Post????
"

Because Oleksinski has loose lips and talks about a lot of stuff nobody else is. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#47Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 9:23pm

Rentaholic2 said: "TotallyEffed said: "This thread is going to hell real quick."

Back to the main topic - I found the audio of Audra signing Rose's Turn and noticed that she raises the key for the latter part of the song, which is obviously a better fit for her voice. As great as she is, the number just isn't quite as thrilling to me when sung by a soprano in her style. But she'll of course slay regardless.
"

Would love to hear it!

B212323
#48Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 9:38pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Well there goes Nicole’s Tony Award"

I just said the same to my friend when I read the news (I'm guessing the Sunset announcement is why they dropped this tidbit today) 

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#49Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:20pm

Rentaholic2 said: "Wow, did not know about any of this. Seems like modern-day theater audiences are plenty capable of distinguishing between the use of the word as a slur and the common colloquial English use. At any rate, highly doubt they will change the name."

While I don't think the name is going to change obviously, the slur and the "common colloquial English use" are tied at the hip. The latter became common because of the former. Didn't just "pop up" separately. While this isn't a call for renaming, we also shouldn't pretend that Gypsy Rose Lee's name wasn't chosen with intent. 

Videos