News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 3

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

Bobmortton
#50Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:33pm

I know the Rudin production was rumored for a few years… Does this hint at a Rudin return? Does he still hold the rights? 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#51Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 11:32pm

I heard a rumor a couple months ago that Zendaya was going to be Louise.  That she wanted to do theatre and saw it as a Tony winning role. We’ll see

Ke3
#52Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 12:28am

I just wanna know if Rudin's still in the picture. Can't wait to see what the response would be to him being publicly attached to this.

As for Zendaya, I don't believe almost anything I read about Zendaya. She's one of the handful of actors under 30 that people know and so she and her crop are always being rumoured for something because the other names wouldn't be worth gossiping about. She's not a great singer but then Louise doesn't need to be. It'd make sense that they'd want a name for Louise. There's less need for the "take the money and run" mindset you have to have doing a niche property with a Broadway star. 

Doing theatre would sharpen her skills so I support it. She gets better with each film role, a spin across the boards would only make her better. I'd love to see Ermengarde's suggestion of Halle Bailey as well. She's someone I think has the potential to be a good actress but needs more time to find herself.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#53Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 1:50am

Hell would freeze over before Zendaya played Louise in Gypsy on Broadway.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#54Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 7:57am

The only correct choice for Louise is Denée Benton, in my opinion. She already plays Audra’s daughter on The Gilded Age, and it sits perfectly in her range.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#55Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 8:46am

ColorTheHours048 said: "The only correct choice for Louise is Denée Benton, in my opinion. She already plays Audra’s daughter on The Gilded Age, and it sits perfectly in her range."

I might be in the minority, but having seen her as Cinderella in the recent ITW and also a viewer of Gilded Age I feel like her acting falls a bit flat. She's not bad but is missing a 'spark' for me. I would much prefer Joy Woods.

VintageSnarker
#56Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 9:18am

FANtomFollies said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "The only correct choice for Louise is Denée Benton, in my opinion. She already plays Audra’s daughter on The Gilded Age, and it sits perfectly in her range."

I might be in the minority, but having seen her as Cinderella in the recent ITW and also a viewer of Gilded Age I feel like her acting falls a bit flat. She's not bad but is missing a 'spark' for me. I would much prefer Joy Woods.
"

No, I agree. I loved her in Great Comet but much preferred Soo in ITW. Of course she's an actress, but I think in the roles I've seen so far she has too much seriousness for Louise. She doesn't come across as naive. Halle Bailey could do it if she wanted to, but if not, hopefully another actress in her 20s. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#57Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 9:24am

If they cave to the name change, they've already lost.  Of course, why stop there?  The entire burlesque sequence should be changed because it exploits women.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#58Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 9:29am

TotallyEffed said: "Hell would freeze over before Zendaya played Louise in Gypsy on Broadway."

Give her a few years, when movie offers have dried up, & she's  hosting some bad TV game show, then she'll do a Jamie Lloyd play or something. 

Updated On: 1/5/24 at 09:29 AM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#59Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 9:32am

I have so many questions. This reporter says the completely striped down Sunset Boulevard cost 2.7 million pounds to produce in London, but will cost 17 million to do on Broadway?  So what does that make the relative producing cost for a traditional, large scale revival of Gypsy? 40 million?  I'm sorry Audra McDonald, beloved as she is, is not a big enough name to headline something with that pricetag.  Maybe she can do this at Encores.

There is no way Zendaya is going to sign on for a supporting role in Gypsy.  She and Tom Hardy were, hwoever, at Sunset Boulevard in London this week.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#60Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 10:27am

QueenAlice said: "I have so many questions. This reporter says the completely striped down Sunset Boulevard cost 2.7 million pounds to produce in London, but will cost 17 million to do on Broadway? So what does that make the relative producing cost for a traditional, large scale revival of Gypsy? 40 million? I'm sorry Audra McDonald, beloved as she is, is not a big enough name to headline something with that pricetag. Maybe she can do this at Encores.

There is no way Zendaya is going to sign on for a supporting role in Gypsy. She and Tom Hardy were, hwoever, at Sunset Boulevard in London this week.
"

Most larger scale musicals these days are somewhere in the $20 - $25 million range. Moulin Rouge, I believe, was $24 or $25 and it’s hard to imagine a production of Gypsy being as huge as that. 

But we also know nothing about what this production will be, other than Audra’s casting. Who’s to say it’ll be traditional and large scale? 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 1/5/24 at 10:27 AM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#61Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 10:38am

Also remember, MOULIN ROUGE was pre-covid. Those numbers now would be higher.   But yes, this article lists no details and the entire mention of the rumour of Audra doing Gypsy seems to be to stir the pot against what the reporter feels is ego in why Sunset isn't opening this season. I'd take all of this with a grain of salt.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

TotallyEffed
#62Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 10:59am

Impeach2017 said: "If they cave to the name change, they've already lost. Of course, why stop there? The entire burlesque sequence should be changed because it exploits women.”

No one is going to change the title of this musical.

ElephantLoveMedley
#63Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 11:42am

VintageSnarker said: "Halle Bailey could do it if she wanted to, but if not, hopefully another actress in her 20s."

Wait, Halle Bailey as Louise is such a great casting idea.

Ke3
#64Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 11:50am

Denee Benton playing Louise would be like Betty Buckley playing Mame.

I don't think Zendaya is doing this, but the idea that a name wouldn't play Louise doesn't hold up. Anne Hathaway was supposed to be in the Bernadette revival. It's an easy role to get "legitimacy" (whatever that means), attention, and maybe even an award. 

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#65Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 12:08pm

Can't believe no one has suggested Ariana DeBose yet.

OhHiii
#66Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 12:38pm

TalkinLoud said: "Can't believe no one has suggestedAriana DeBose yet."

I think we can keep it that way.

TotallyEffed
#67Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 12:39pm

I don't think Zendaya is doing this, but the idea that a name wouldn't play Louise doesn't hold up. Anne Hathaway was supposed to be in the Bernadette revival. It's an easy role to get "legitimacy" (whatever that means), attention, and maybe even an award."

“Supposed to be” doesn’t really mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

JSquared2
#68Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 1:08pm

Ke3 said: "Denee Benton playing Louise would be like Betty Buckley playing Mame.

I don't think Zendaya is doing this, but the idea that a name wouldn't play Louise doesn't hold up. Anne Hathaway was supposed to be in the Bernadette revival. It's an easy role to get "legitimacy" (whatever that means), attention, and maybe even an award.
"

That argument doesn't hold water.  The Bernadette peters GYPSY was in 2003 and Anne Hathaway only had 1 major film credit to her name.  She was not a Star yet.  Zendaya is a Major Star.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#69Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 3:43pm

RippedMan said: "More curious about the director and the vision."

That's what I thought. Any word on who's doing it?

Musicaldudepeter
#70Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 5:00pm

It's Trevor Nunn directing. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#71Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 5:15pm

Ke3 said: "Denee Benton playing Louise would be like Betty Buckley playing Mame."

Explain this dig to me like I’m 5, because huh?

Ke3
#72Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 5:59pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "Ke3 said: "Denee Benton playing Louise would be like Betty Buckley playing Mame."

Explain this dig to me like I’m 5, because huh?
"

Not really dig. She just doesn't have the warmth for it. She's a very "serious" presence. The idea of her doing a striptease seems ridiculous. Just like the idea of Betty Buckley doing high kicks seems ridiculous. Give Denee a Marie Christine revival.

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#73Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 6:01pm

I must be the only person who isn't excited by this. Yes Audra McDonald is a huge talent, no doubt about it, but I can't get excited by a soprano Rose, or even by Audra doing it.

I still think Katie Brayben will get the Tony for that season. It's looking to be a very big season for leading female.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#74Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 8:05pm

Musicaldudepeter said: "It's Trevor Nunn directing."

I hope this is a bad joke!

Videos