News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4- Page 29

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#700BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:10pm

JasonC3 said: "Over on the UK site some are blaming nominators for an anti-ALW bias."

LOL!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#701BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/3/23 at 8:13pm

Carolee is tired of it:

BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#702BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/3/23 at 8:29pm

HOT MERCH THO

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#703BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/3/23 at 9:16pm

I presume there is no truth to the rumor I just made up that Bad Cinderella will be replaced by a revised Stephen Ward. 

I do wonder if The Beautiful Game would be a success now. We saw an intimate production at the former Union Theatre in London and it was terrific. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#704BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/5/23 at 2:43pm

It looks like the show’s YouTube channel will be going live this Tuesday (May 9) at 8:30 PM for the top of Act Two.

Oh look, a bibu!

BCfitasafiddle
#705BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/5/23 at 2:48pm

Yeah, it sucks they're dealing with online negative comments. But why are they talking about it so much and posting about it so much? It only fuels the fire. Just block out the noise like everyone does on social media. This show is not unique in its online hatred. Plus, I don't think any of the negative comments are ever in regard to the talent onstage. It's about the show itself and that alone. I digress. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#706BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/5/23 at 3:56pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "why are they talking about it so much and posting about it so much? It only fuels the fire. Just block out the noise like everyone does on social media. This show is not unique in its online hatred. Plus, I don't think any of the negative comments are ever in regard to the talent onstage. It's about the show itself and that alone. I digress."

Desperation seeps down from the top. The producers are taking the most desperate of all measures (firing the agency, etc to try to keep it going), and there have probably been "cheerleading" all-company meetings presided over by the producers, to make the producers look good and to attempt to offer some level of transparency to their employees.

Because actors are empowered to use their social media to promote their work, there's a belief that they can make a meaningful change. They can't, not on the level that this show needs. But if it helps them feel more involved in the show's success, that's fine. It's hard to divorce yourself from sales vs audience reaction vs social as they all relate to your job, and the reviews and nominations tell them that their work isn't being taken seriously by the industry at large.

Updated On: 5/5/23 at 03:56 PM

nativenewyorker2
#707BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/6/23 at 4:26pm

You have no reason to believe me but I have nothing to gain by posting this. I was just grabbing a bite to eat in midtown when i overhead from someone involved in the production  that bad Cinderella is closing at the end of June. With an announcement coming sometime in mid May

Updated On: 5/6/23 at 04:26 PM

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#708BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/6/23 at 5:09pm

Saw the matinee this afternoon.  The orchestra level was about 80% full.  Really, really enjoyed it.  Full of energy, and Carolee Carmello was fantastic - as always.  

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#709BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/6/23 at 5:25pm

nativenewyorker2 said: "You have no reason to believe me but I have nothing to gain by posting this. I was just grabbing a bite to eat in midtown when i overhead from someone involved in the production that bad Cinderella is closing at the end of June. With an announcement coming sometime in mid May"

That's what I've heard too. Honestly surprising to me that they're sticking around that long. Happy that the cast and crw gets 6+ more weeks of paychecks though. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#710BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/6/23 at 6:08pm

I’m kind of bummed there likely won’t be a Broadway cast album but if the creative team is planning to ultimately license the somewhat better received West End version of the show instead then they won’t really need a reference recording with the new songs.

GoldenGiggery
#711BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/7/23 at 10:35am

Carolee is tired of it:

I'm tired of it frankly. I wish so many good actors didn't have to defend themselves from nasty hatemongers but also, a show that's this terrible. This whole thing should've just lived and died in the West End; the only reason it was brought and given a new shellacking was ALW's hubris to maintain his show streak.

This show really could've been high Titanique levels of camp, had a younger, more diversified queer audience worked on it, and that's clearly what this team assumed they were doing; it shows in the revolving marketing they keep trying. 

Danny1984
#712BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/7/23 at 12:59pm

GoldenGiggery said: "Carolee is tired of it:

I'm tired of it frankly. I wish so many good actors didn't have to defend themselves from nasty hatemongers but also, a show that's this terrible. This whole thing should've just lived and died in the West End; the only reason it was brought and given a new shellacking was ALW's hubris to maintain his show streak.
"

Right. Fairly sure no actors were forced to be in this and they all accepted jobs without being coerced. And they all seem genuinely very happy working in the show and also to believe in it. The vile abuse they are getting is external.

On the 2nd point, in London RUG can be a sole producer and can launch in an LW theatre so ALW “hubris” could bring a show to fruition (I don’t think it does but it could). On Broadway, due to financing models and sharing of risk, it’s pretty much impossible to be a sole producer. So several other producers clearly believed in this show enough to stage it. (And ALW can’t force a theatre his company doesn’t own to take a show). Now, they may well have been wrong. But it’s factually incorrect to state that ALW hubris can bring a show to the Broadway stage. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#713BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/7/23 at 3:59pm

GoldenGiggery said: "I'm tired of it frankly. I wish so many good actors didn't have to defend themselves from nasty hatemongers but also, a show that's this terrible. This whole thing should've just lived and died in the West End; the only reason it was brought and given a new shellacking was ALW's hubris to maintain his show streak."

What do you mean, you're "tired of it"? Is someone forcing you to engage with this show against your will?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#714BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/7/23 at 6:33pm

Saw the show for a third time this afternoon- first time without Genao and let me just say Savy Jackson should have been the leading woman this whole time. Her voice has power behind it and a beautiful tone, her Cinderella I can sympathize with and she fits what I said earlier: "Give me a reason the townspeople hate Cinderella other than the banner." Her chemistry with the actor of Sebastian was so much better in my opinion and it was the best time I've seen them this entire run. The ensemble was amazing as always, though the lyric changes from the UK to the USA are still so rough in some parts, not due to the actors. I found the audience today to be kind of weird compared to weekday nights- there was a child behind me who kept getting confused (I think the parents didn't realize this wasn't traditional Cinderella), another person walked in during intermission and thought they were at Dancin before leaving for the Music Box, and somebody seated near me just left after "I Know I have a Heart" and never came back. The whole second act was really hard to follow until this viewing, but nobody is going to view this show enough times to absorb it. It's such a fun time, and tickets are super cheap (or free if you're looking in the right places) so please give it a chance! Especially on a Sunday Matinee... You will not regret missing Genao and getting a performance that actually made me appreciate Cinderella as a character instead of feeling annoyed by her.

B212323
#715BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/8/23 at 1:03am

Deux Moi just posted that they're trying to stunt cast Kris Jenner (most likely a fake tip but ouch). 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#716BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/8/23 at 1:21am

A younger more diversified queer group of people are free to make their own version of cinderella. White people don’t need to let them do it. 

DJD4
#717BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/8/23 at 2:52pm

Lot666 said: "GoldenGiggery said: "I'm tired of it frankly. I wish so many good actors didn't have to defend themselves from nasty hatemongers but also, a show that's this terrible. This whole thing should've just lived and died in the West End; the only reason it was brought and given a new shellacking was ALW's hubris to maintain his show streak."

What do you mean, you're "tired of it"? Is someone forcing you to engage with this show against your will?

"

I think they meant that they are tired of these poor actors having to deal with the bad press and bad commentary around this show. Being in a show that most of the public knows is terrible must be very difficult. Chill out.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#718BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/8/23 at 3:06pm

Tomorrow night's livestream of the top of Act Two will also be simulcast on the Bad Cinderella website. 

https://badcinderellabroadway.com/livestream/

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 5/8/23 at 03:06 PM

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#719BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/8/23 at 3:21pm

I disagree with savy Jackson. I thought she sounded terrible and was extremely dull. No emotional connection whatsoever.  

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#720BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/8/23 at 3:25pm

Broadway Flash said: "I disagree with savy Jackson. I thought she sounded terrible and was extremely dull. No emotional connection whatsoever."

I honestly thought both Linedy Genao and Savy Jackson were both pretty bland and bad in the role in their own ways. Savy Jackson wins in my book, though, because she wasn't grating and annoying...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#721BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/9/23 at 8:52pm

Here's the livestream in its entirety:

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#722BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/9/23 at 9:04pm

Meh, the London version of this number was better. I know they could not replicate the spinning seats on Broadway, but that made the ball so magical. Also, the orchestrations from London sounded better than this one.  

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#723BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/9/23 at 10:37pm

Maybe it’s just me, but from this video alone, I think the Broadway orchestrations sound better as they are more natural and less synthesized. 

The waltz worked better in London without the singing at the end, and of course with the audience revolve. 

It strikes me just how much Jordan Dobson looks like Ivano Turco. Both have merely okay singing voices. 

Inject Carolee Carmello saying “idiotic” into my veins. 

I love that full, dramatic orchestra moment with all the strings foreshadowing “Far Too Late” when Linedy’s ball costume is revealed. That kind of thing is prominent in a lot of ALW’s work - straight out of Phantom or when Norma Desmond returns to the Paramount set. 

Oh look, a bibu!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#724BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/9/23 at 11:06pm

I agree that the orchestrations sound better here. A shame they likely won’t get recorded.

Videos