News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Funny Girl 2022 Revival- Page 20

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

KFC1991
#475Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 11:30am

JBroadway said: "I think it would be a mistake to cast someone as old as Bobby C in the role. I was curious about this, solooked at the numbers:

Nicky Arnstein was 12 years older than Fanny Brice, Sydney Chapin was 16 years old than Streisand, and Omar Sharif was 10 years older than Streisand.

Bobby C is a whopping 23 years older than Beanie.

Not to mention public sensibilities about age differences and power dynamics have changed. They might not be able to avoid that if an age difference is called forin the book, but 23 years? That's just creepy. Granted, he ends up being a sleeze-bag in act 2 anyway, but I think there should be at least somebelievable romantic chemistry in Act 1.
"

I don't mean to pick on you, I love your posts, but I don't understand why older man/younger woman is the only type of relationship we are allowed to judge. We are supposed to be accepting of interracial relationships, same sex realtionships, polyamory, or older woman/younger man, but it's ok to call older man/younger woman relationships "creepy." An adult woman is free to consent to such a relationship. Florence Pugh has posted about this in regards to her relationship. Sorry to be off topic but I keep seeing this come up again and again. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#476Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 11:32am

Highland Guy, we can agree to disagree about whether or not it's creepy, but this is not what "ageism" is. It would be ageist to say that people over a certain age shouldn't or couldn't find love. But I'm not saying that. Pointing out and responding to a long history of grooming, predatory behavior, and imbalance power dynamics is not discrimination. 

I'm glad it worked out for your family - I'm not saying it never does. But don't let that cloud your view of a very real and very problematic trend that exists in our world. 

EDIT: I didn't mean to start a whole thing on this. It's a very complicated issue and frankly i don't have the time to really get into it today. I think Bobby C is way too old to play Beanie's love interest. The age-gap is larger than any of the other major Fanny/Nicky pairings. And regardless of what anyone in this thread feels about it, sensibilities around this issue HAVE changed in the post Me Too world, so it would be a bad idea for the production to invite that kind of criticism, even if many people don't agree with the criticism. 

Let that be the main part of my point. 

Updated On: 8/15/21 at 11:32 AM

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#477Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 11:52am

“ Your post reeks of ageism”

Oh this isn’t ageism, pick a new cause to complain about. The optics of an older man and a younger woman without acknowledging the concepts of power structures and the society around it is no bueno.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#478Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 11:59am

BroadwayNYC2 said: "“ Your post reeks of ageism”

Oh this isn’t ageism
"

Oh, but it IS, Blanche, it IS. 

Non sibi sed patriae

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#479Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 2:37pm

I wouldn't call it ageism, but it's clearly a kind of prejudice mixed with a lot of p.c. puritanism that has been kicking around our culture for about 30 years. Mostly people looking desperately for "abuse" to "expose" in romantic relationships. Those of us who are gay and know the "daddy" phenomenon should be very careful about supporting such hyperbole and paranoia.

While it's a good argument that Nicky Arnstein is traditionally played by a man about Fanny's age, the big reasons for Fanny being attracted to him, according to the script, are 1) he's beautiful, 2) he's worldly. Part of what makes him worldly could easily be that he is old enough to have much more experience than she does. You could cast someone who would be like, say Tom Selleck to Courtney Cox on Friends (not that Cox was anything like a Fanny Brice type), and it would work very well. 

The actual age difference between Brice and Arnstein was 12 years.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#480Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 3:12pm

“You are WOMAN, and I am MAN.”

KFC1991
#481Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 4:31pm

joevitus said: "Iwouldn't call it ageism, but it's clearly a kind of prejudice mixed with a lot of p.c. puritanismthat has been kicking aroundour culture for about 30 years. Mostly people looking desperately for "abuse" to "expose" in romantic relationships. Those of us who are gay and know the "daddy" phenomenon should be very careful about supporting such hyperbole and paranoia.

Well put. It is prejudice plain and simple to judge a couple by there ages just like it would be to judge based on race or orientation. I'm frustrated by the close mindedness that occasionally crops up in left of center people.

At any rate, I doubt there's any truth that Canavale is being considered, but he'd be good. I think most of the books problems could be fixed if Nick was more interesting. I understand that the author of the funny girl book whitewashed his character because they didn't want to be sued. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#482Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 4:48pm

Again, I don't have time to fully hash this out today, and I admit that it's a complicated grey area. But calling it age-based prejudice is simply false. It has to do with a long societal history of abuse born from power-imbalances. You can say that these abuses and power-imbalances are not wide-spread enough to warrant this kind of judgement. You can disagree that it's worth anyone's time or energy. But equating this to actual identity-based prejudice is insulting, and simply not accurate. I beg you all to at least do some research on the actual, concrete reasons people feel this way, even if you disagree with those reasons. 

Honestly, calling it "p.c puritanism" is probably a more accurate criticism of my comments than calling it ageism. 

And in any case, like I said before: I'm sorry for bringing it up and derailing the thread. 

Updated On: 8/15/21 at 04:48 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#483Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 5:20pm

What would actually be ageist is not casting an older woman as a love interest for a younger male actor. I loved seeing Jake with Ellen Greene. They were smoking. Producers need to get behind that shiz.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#484Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/16/21 at 3:08pm

Thank You, Lea Michele.  You are one classy lady!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Lea-Michele-Celebrates-Beanie-Feldstein-Casting-In-FUNNY-GIRL-20210816

Non sibi sed patriae

Dolly80
#485Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/16/21 at 3:10pm

Highland Guy said: "Thank You, Lea Michele. You are one classy lady!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Lea-Michele-Celebrates-Beanie-Feldstein-Casting-In-FUNNY-GIRL-20210816
"

OH yeah - when you set aside the toxic behaviour and bullying. She’s REALLY classy. 

She is unemployable. Karma.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#486Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/16/21 at 3:14pm

Highland Guy said: "Thank You, Lea Michele. You are one classy lady!

"

Only one response to this: Cuckoo! Cuckoo!

BrodyFosse123
#487Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/16/21 at 4:09pm

Apparently, she’s since deleted that alleged Instagram post as it’s NOWHERE to be found on her Instagram.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#488Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/16/21 at 4:36pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Apparently, she’s since deleted that alleged Instagram post as it’s NOWHERE to be found on her Instagram."

It wasn't a post on her account. It was a comment in response to Beanie's announcement from 4 days ago, and, yes, it's still there. If you want to see it, you have to scroll through 3 days' worth of comments, though, since she added it yesterday.

BrodyFosse123
#489Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/16/21 at 5:08pm

TaffyDavenport said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Apparently, she’s since deleted that alleged Instagram post as it’s NOWHERE to be found on her Instagram."

It wasn't a post on her account.Itwas a comment in response to Beanie's announcement from 4 days ago, and, yes, it's still there. If you want to see it, you have to scroll through 3 days' worth of comments, though, since she added it yesterday.
"

BWW made it sound like it was a new post on her Instagram but it’s some random comment buried in hundreds of other comments.   Kudos.  

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#490Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/17/21 at 5:45am

She was looking in the mirror when she said that.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#491Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/18/21 at 10:09am

While he isn’t a name or a big star I’d love to see Josh Segarra as Nicky.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#493Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/23/21 at 1:26pm

I'm guessing they are going to keep "Temporary Arrangement" in for Nick, as this is the Harvey Fierstein book? I welcomed the addition. I think Nick needed a moment in the show. I wonder if they will try to include some of the "movie songs"/real Fanny Brice songs.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

James Kerrigan2
#494Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 9/3/21 at 6:56pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "I wonder if, and who, they will cast a matinee/standby Fanny..."

Jessica Vosk would be great as a Standby / Alternate for Fanny Brice

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#495Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 12:37am

So, Ramin Karimloo and Jane Lynch confirmed. Not huge draws but I guess the show is the star here? 

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#496Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 12:44am

I am absolutely in love with this new artwork, can’t wait to see more of it!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#497Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 1:09am

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

SouthernCakes
#498Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 1:15am

No…. To that graphic … that color combo….

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#499Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 10/6/21 at 1:23am

I love it. And I think it's a great sign that they've included a little nod to Baby Snooks with the bow. I'm so excited.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Videos