News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Funny Girl 2022 Revival- Page 19

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#450Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 11:30am

bway0 said: "I plan on seeing this but I’m not sold on seeing Beanie. So I might wait until she’s on vacation and grab a ticket last minute to see the understudy. "

Me too! Or hopefully she does a 6 times a week schedule and a great alternate. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#451Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 11:34am

ggersten said: "OldTheatreLover said: "In my personal opinion, I don’t think a revival of Funny Girl can succeed. It’s totally andforeverassociated with Streisand who was iconic in the role. ANYONE will be compared to her performance and that won’t end well. Also, very few could handle that score 8 shows a week, if at all,so I saydon’t even attempt this revival."

And yet, Funny Girl ran for 18 months after Streisand left the show ….
"

Yes love, with Mimi Hines, which Feldman is not even close to either.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#452Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 11:54am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "hearthemsing22 said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "C’mon, Gaga. Get that EGOT, baby."

Is Gaga Jewish? I think they should actually hire a Jewish actress.
"

That's pretty how Stephen Sondheim felt when he was approached about writing the lyrics for the musical. He told composer Jule Styne "I don't want to do the life of Fanny Brice with Mary Martin. She's not Jewish. You need someone ethnic for the part."
"

Mary Martin is not "ethnic." (in the weird we commonly use that word). 
Lady Gaga is not Jewish but she is certainly "ethnic" (ditto).  

Therefore: 

"Is Gaga Jewish?" is not at all a question Sondheim would feel like asking. 

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#453Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 12:01pm

I wonder if they could get a really talented Broadway star to do matinees during Beanie's run?

Somebody like Laura Osnes would be a great fit for that.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#454Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 12:08pm

blaxx said: "ggersten said: "OldTheatreLover said: "In my personal opinion, I don’t think a revival of Funny Girl can succeed. It’s totally andforeverassociated with Streisand who was iconic in the role. ANYONE will be compared to her performance and that won’t end well. Also, very few could handle that score 8 shows a week, if at all,so I saydon’t even attempt this revival."

"

"

Right, but ggersten was responding to OldTheatreLover's claim that Funny Girl can't succeed without Barbra. And ggersten was pointing out that it DID run without Barbra for 18 months. We can have the conversation of Beanie vs. Mimi if we want, but that wasn't really relevant to ggersten's specific point. 

By the way, it's Feldstein not Feldman.  

treblemakerz Profile Photo
treblemakerz
#455Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 12:53pm

jlindsey865 said: "I wonder if they could get a really talented Broadway star to do matinees during Beanie's run?

"

This is a joke...right??

SoCalDirector
#456Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 2:54pm

And yet, Funny Girl ran for 18 months after Streisand left the show …."

"

Marty Feldman as Funny Girl?   Odd idea BlaX.

Having seen both Beanie and Mimi on stage, I'd say Beanie is stronger. 

Miles Robert Mills

SoCalDirector
#457Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 2:55pm

treblemakerz said: "jlindsey865 said: "I wonder if they could get a really talented Broadway star to do matinees during Beanie's run?

"

This is a joke...right??
"

Wo a vaccine she is a joke.

Miles Robert Mills

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#458Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 3:42pm

ggersten said: "OldTheatreLover said: "In my personal opinion, I don’t think a revival of Funny Girl can succeed. It’s totally andforeverassociated with Streisand who was iconic in the role. ANYONE will be compared to her performance and that won’t end well. Also, very few could handle that score 8 shows a week, if at all,so I saydon’t even attempt this revival."

"

If you want to say that after this revival has run for a while with a star of Streisand's caliber and vocal ability, someone who is not a star of Streisand's caliber and vocal ability can take over, and the show won't die for another year and a half, I'll concede your point. I don't think it indicates the show can successfully open without a star of Streisand's caliber and vocal ability. 

OldTheatreLover
#459Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 7:15pm

"

You have to take into consideration that there was a gigantic advance with ticket sales while Streisand was performing along with the word of mouth and the worldwide publicity of the show. It’s not like a sold-out show will roll over and die the day after the lead leaves, albeit 18 months probably exceeded their expectations. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#460Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 8:54pm

Perhaps when the West Side Story movie comes out Ariana will have more exposure and they can do some color blind casting.

LightsOut90
#461Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 9:26pm

Scott Rudin must have been involved in this at some point, he is the one who has been putting Beanie in things for years (Dolly, Lady Bird, What We Do In The Shadows…)

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#462Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 10:02pm

LightsOut90 said: "Scott Rudin must have been involved in this at some point, he is the one who has been putting Beanie in things for years (Dolly, Lady Bird, What We Do In The Shadows&hellipFunny Girl 2022 Revival"

Or perhaps her involvement in two indie darlings (including a Best Picture nominee), a well received Broadway debut in a splashy revival, and upcoming lead in a Ryan Murphy Emmy-friendly project had something to do with it!

Rudin may have been involved in some of those but he’s far from the reason for her *continued* success.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
Updated On: 8/13/21 at 10:02 PM

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#463Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 10:45pm

Has anyone said it yet? - This is SUCH a bad idea.  She's shown absolutely NO signs of being even an acceptable Fanny.  Hell, Smith was better - and she was a horror show.

And with tickets at $200 for an orchestra seat?  Whaaaa?      Can Sutton do 2 shows at once?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#464Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/13/21 at 11:55pm

JBroadway said: "blaxx said: "ggersten said: "OldTheatreLover said: "In my personal opinion, I don’t think a revival of Funny Girl can succeed. It’s totally andforeverassociated with Streisand who was iconic in the role. ANYONE will be compared to her performance and that won’t end well. Also, very few could handle that score 8 shows a week, if at all,so I saydon’t even attempt this revival."

"

"

Right, but ggersten was responding to OldTheatreLover's claim that Funny Girl can't succeed without Barbra. And ggersten was pointing out that it DID run without Barbra for 18 months. We can have the conversation of Beanie vs. Mimi if we want, but that wasn't really relevant to ggersten's specific point.

By the way, it's Feldstein not Feldman.
"

Yes, Feldstein, I apologize.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

PipingHotPiccolo
#465Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/14/21 at 4:51pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "LightsOut90 said: "Scott Rudin must have been involved in this at some point, he is the one who has been putting Beanie in things for years (Dolly, Lady Bird, What We Do In The Shadows&hellipFunny Girl 2022 Revival"

Or perhaps her involvement in two indie darlings (including a Best Picture nominee), awell received Broadway debut in a splashy revival, and upcoming lead in a Ryan Murphy Emmy-friendly project had something to do with it!

Rudin may have been involved in some of those but he’s far from the reason for her *continued* success.
"

Shes proven herself again and again and will enjoy a long career. This horribly ugly naysaying and prediction of her inability to succeed is peak internet. If she gets good reviews- ie charms the critics, as she has done at every turn- she will do just fine, no matter how many people here clutch their pearls that she isnt Barbra.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#466Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/14/21 at 5:20pm

Pointing out that Rudin cast her in things isn’t naysing, it’s a fact. Apologies that doesn’t fit your narratives. I fully support her casting. I’m by no means anti Beanie. Fanny does not need to be a belt to the rafters character, one interpretation of her did that. I’ll be there first preview, but let’s not discount the full story.

PipingHotPiccolo
#467Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/14/21 at 5:30pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Pointing out that Rudin cast her in things isn’t naysing, it’s a fact. Apologies that doesn’t fit your narratives. I fully support her casting. I’m by no means anti Beanie. Fanny does not need to be a belt to the rafters character, one interpretation of her did that. I’ll be there first preview, but let’s not discount the full story."

well i definitely meant the "but i have decided, based on nothing, that she can't do what she has been hired to do!" crew re naysaying, but i also think its kinda unfair to try and tag her as a Rudin protege somehow. I don't doubt he helped put her on the map, but (i) shes proven herself to be deserving of it again and again, and (ii) Rudin is a jackass who is very good at... discovering and cultivating talent. It just seems like hardly a dig. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#468Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/14/21 at 5:39pm

A glimpse of Mimi Hines, who successfully replaced Barbra Streisand in FUNNY GIRL.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#469Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 3:31am

Oh, my God, she's horrible. Not quite Pia Zadora horrible, but very close (down to the stupid "nerd" glasses).

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#470Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 10:28am

I can't find the post they're referring to, but a couple of folks over at All That Chat have seen a rumor on Facebook that Bobby Cannavale has been cast as Nick, again (he was also cast in the scrapped 2011 production). Could be nothing, but I figured I'd put it out there.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#471Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 10:49am

joevitus said: "Oh, my God, she's horrible. Not quite Pia Zadora horrible, but very close (down to the stupid "nerd" glasses)."

Did you even watch the entire clip?!  The first section is Fanny’s comic “Rat-Tat-Tat” number (hence the nerdy glasses - she’s Private Schwartz).  The second half Mimi performs “Who Are You Now?”  In true 60s female vocalist mode, which merits her replacing Streisand.  And successfully.  

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#472Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 11:03am

I think it would be a mistake to cast someone as old as Bobby C in the role. I was curious about this, so looked at the numbers:

Nicky Arnstein was 12 years older than Fanny Brice, Sydney Chapin was 16 years old than Streisand, and Omar Sharif was 10 years older than Streisand. 

Bobby C is a whopping 23 years older than Beanie. 

Not to mention public sensibilities about age differences and power dynamics have changed. They might not be able to avoid that if an age difference is called for in the book, but 23 years? That's just creepy. Granted, he ends up being a sleeze-bag in act 2 anyway, but I think there should be at least some believable romantic chemistry in Act 1.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#473Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 11:19am

JBroadway said: "I think it would be a mistake to cast someone as old as Bobby C in the role. I was curious about this, solooked at the numbers:

Nicky Arnstein was 12 years older than Fanny Brice, Sydney Chapin was 16 years old than Streisand, and Omar Sharif was 10 years older than Streisand.

Bobby C is a whopping 23 years older than Beanie.

Not to mention public sensibilities about age differences and power dynamics have changed. They might not be able to avoid that if an age difference is called forin the book, but 23 years? That's just creepy. Granted, he ends up being a sleeze-bag in act 2 anyway, but I think there should be at least somebelievable romantic chemistry in Act 1.
"

Your post reeks of ageism.  My mother's first husband was her senior by 33 years.  Love is love.  Nothing "creepy" about it.

Non sibi sed patriae

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#474Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/15/21 at 11:24am

I mean, her brother is Jonah Hill. Rudin is probably a family friend. Again, nepotism. 

I just don't see her carrying herself the way Fanny needs to throughout the show, but hey, I'll wait till we're at a first preview. But again, I want vocals. Don't give me an actress who can sing. Give me a singer please.

Thanks for posting that clip of Mimi Hines. Great singer/actress. 

Videos