Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#1Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 11:06am

On Monday’s (February 24) episode of Andy Cohen Live, the show’s host talked about his outing to see Erika Jayne in the Broadway musical. The Watch What Happens Live host had rave reviews for Jayne.

“We went to go see Erika Jayne in Chicago,” Cohen said on his SiriusXM show. “That show has been open for 20-plus years, she’s packing them in dude. The place was full and they were there for her. I was so proud of her. And she’s playing Roxie which is one of the two leads.”

However, all the good things he said about the RHOBH star came crashing down when he shaded the production.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 11:14am

I don't think it would be uncontroversial to say the production is perhaps not in its heyday anymore*....but it is interesting for him to be so vocal about it. 

* It was tired 10 years ago. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 3/1/20 at 11:14 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 11:16am

I stopped watching anything he does after learning about what he did to Kathy Griffin. But a google search shows his net worth is $50 million - shut the hell up about buying two tickets for something you want to see. Years ago I worked the box office for a major company and spoke to reps for people (and sometimes the celeb themselves) like Nicole Kidman, Julie Andrews, Walter Cronkite, frickin’ Beyoncé - and was never once asked for comps. The only people who ever gave me sh*t were C & D list celebs who waited too long and were trying to get themselves into something with zero availability.
But that’s besides the point here. Cohen’s just feeding into the stereotype that our people are cheap and he needs to STFU.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 11:16am

He clearly doesn’t know the Weisslers. They are famously cheap.

nasty_khakis
#5Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 11:17am

I mean, I see his point about promotion, but dude you and your friends are beyond multi-millionaires. You are obviously mad you had to pay because despite having a lot of money you get everything for free.

I don't get the shade about Szot's age either. Erika is 48 so it's bad he's two years older than her? He's a very handsome mad. Andy is also in his 50s so he's saying he himself can't be a love interest? Unless he means Amos which...he's supposed to be older. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#6Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 11:37am

There were 4 in his party. They got 2 comp tickets and were asked to pay for the remaining 2 tickets. I think that sounds fair to me. 

His rant reminded me of social influencers on instagram asking hotels for freebies in exchange for promotion.

SouthernCakes
#7Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 11:38am

Same Jordan! He’s not a good person.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#8Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 12:09pm

Who is this person and why should we care?

sppunk
#9Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 12:12pm

Andy Cohen is basically a terrible human and he can’t go away from public view quickly enough. 

sparksatmidnight
#10Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 12:31pm

I mean, this person is getting out of their home to see a real housewives of wherever on stage. What did you expect beyond tacky behaviour?

Falsettolands
#11Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 12:40pm

it's true but he shouldn't say it

Updated On: 3/1/20 at 12:40 PM

Balcony Bill
#12Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 12:41pm

If someone can tell me who or what Andy Cohen is, I'll decide if I care.

Dionysus3 Profile Photo
Dionysus3
#13Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 1:18pm

Buy your own tickets, dude. Christ.

Tax the rich into oblivion.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#14Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 1:38pm

I only see him when he pops up on shows I do watch. I don’t watch his shows. I can take him in small doses. He does come across as entitled. Pretty tacky of them to not offer four free tickets given how much free publicity they’re getting and even tackier for him to complain about it on social media. Reports I’ve heard have not been kind to EJ’s performance. So either he really thought she was great or is lying to promote a friend/his franchise. And if he has seen the movie, he should know some of the ages he describes seem not too inaccurate as far as casting. Yes, both Zellweger and Zeta-Jones were the same age and younger, but I mean EJ is no spring chicken so it would seem his criticism would carry over to her too, no? I saw the tour many years ago (my second show I ever saw on tour) with Sandy Duncan and she was Ah-mazing!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#15Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 2:04pm

His complaints about having to pay for a ticket? A**hole.

His complaints about the production? Accurate.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#16Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 2:45pm

Chicago can take the shade. Chicago likes it in the shade.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#17Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 2:50pm

ljay889 said: "He clearly doesn’t know the Weisslers. They are famously cheap."

Haha, hilariously cheap. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#18Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 5:35pm

Neither Amos nor Billy should be young. I cant imagine talking about Fred Casely.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

VintageSnarker
#19Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 5:58pm

dramamama611 said: "Neither Amos nor Billy should be young. I cant imagine talking about Fred Casely."

I think he is talking about Fred. I'm not sure how you'd describe any of the other male characters as Roxie's love interest. 

Also, I know Roxie's lying but she has to be somewhat believable as a woman who could be pregnant. Erika Jayne is 48. So... let's just chill. Chicago is its own thing.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#20Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 6:09pm

Cohen is nothing more than a C-list celebrity anyway. yeah, there's a few cast members who are past their expiration date, but until they opt to leave the show, they'll be there as long as they keep renewing their contracts.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#21Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 6:33pm

Erika won’t even be in the show anymore by the time season ten of RHBevHills starts.

Andy likes the young men. Probably wasn’t anyone on stage for him to drool over.

Phantom4ever
#22Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 10:13pm

For many years, Phantom was the go-to punching bag on this site, and it seems these days that honor is now claimed by CHICAGO.  

I knew Titus Burgess was onto something when he shaded the heck out of Andy Cohen when he was on WWHL last year. I admit I DVR WWHL because I sometimes enjoy the gossipy questions that Andy asks, but after his CHICAGO comments, I'm done with that show. 

I'm very disappointed by how many posters have said something along the lines of "Andy is right, but still he shouldn't say it....." when the essence of what Andy said is: "Old" people onstage? = ewww yucky they're not sexy!

One of the things that I've always respected about CHICAGO is that it's a show for grown people. It has rarely had young people in their early 20's in the cast and I happen to find that refreshing. I have criticized AFW in the past, but not because of her age, but because I have seen her deliver less-than-stellar performances. In the past few years, including last month with Andy's employee, AFW was a delight. And for what it's worth, there were lots of new, younger faces in the cast. And it's true, his employee does get a lot of entrance applause, but let's be real, CHICAGO is still on TKTS at 50% for all 8 shows each week. That said, I love CHICAGO and I want it to stay on Broadway for years to come, and I sincerely hope that Andy nor any of his employees who aren't up to Broadway standards of performing, age notwithstanding, ever show up at the Ambassador again. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#23Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 10:17pm

Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#24Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 10:19pm

Odd to complain about the age of the cast. In the stage show (unlike the movie) it's intended that the cast is comprised of older people. Roxie even says, in the intro to her eponymous number, "I'm older than I ever intended to be." They are all washed-up, grubby third-rate players, grifters and shysters, most of them past their prime. It isn't a show about youth. 

SouthernCakes
#25Andy Cohen shades CHICAGO
Posted: 3/1/20 at 11:17pm

I can’t believe he’s complain about buying a ticket.