News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 47

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1150Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 10/16/24 at 3:11pm

BETTY22 said: "I'm a little surprised at how many tickets are unsold.
Is Audra less of a draw than Nicole across the street?
"

• It’s well documented that Audra is not a ticket-selling commodity. Outside of niche theater people, the general public neither knows nor cares who she is. LADY DAY is her only show that’s made money in the past 20 years, and that was dirt cheap. To advertise the production as AUDRA GYPSY is fun for theatre fans, but hubristic and idiotic if trying to reach the general public (which they must do for a musical this large).
  • There is no incentive to buy early for this. People are buying later and later nowadays. Even the small niche of theatre folk who know & love her aren’t dim enough to think they must buy early and at full-price. Obviously GYPSY was trying for a costar with some box office weight, but that was foolish to think they’d get someone who boosted the box office.
  • SUNSET is coming in with a level of buzz we haven’t see from a British production of a musical in years, which gives it a leg up over GYPSY. To compare based on Instagram followings (which isn’t a perfect comp), Audra has 200K, Nicole has 6 million, Darren Criss has 3 mil, Auliʻi Cravalho has 950K, Adam Lambert has 1.9 mil, Jim Parsons has 10 mil, Zegler has 2.3 mil, Kit Connor has 6 mil. Again, not a perfect comparison.
  • Previews and the first few weeks of perfs should sell decently, but it’s a loooong winter for them to get through. This probably needs a flat out love letter from the NYT to have even a chance of success, and some luck & continued momentum after that. 

chrishuyen
#1151Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 10/16/24 at 3:17pm

In addition to what Ermengarde mentioned, there's also a lot of hesitation (both on this board and elsewhere that I've seen) on the idea of a "soprano Rose" (even if that's not necessarily what we'd be getting) or just thoughts of Audra being miscast for the role.  Along with the general trend of waiting later to buy tickets, people may be waiting to see how the concept lands in the first few performances.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1152Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 10/16/24 at 4:21pm

Any hesitation among theatre diehards shouldn't be overestimated though, since that is a relatively small group of people that won't sustain the show.

One of the reasons why I personally am waiting is because it's opening cold on Broadway and Wolfe is known for making great use of his preview period. I'll check it out in December before it opens.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#1153Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 10/16/24 at 8:37pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "BETTY22 said: "I'm a little surprised at how many tickets are unsold.

Is Audra less of a draw than Nicole across the street?
"

Raves and positive word-of-mouth on Nicole plus the heavy TikTok content on her and the show has obviously helped the box office. Many are even returning to see the show again.

Though Audra works extensively on television she’s primarily known for her Broadway work. I have friends who are obsessed with THE GILDED AGE and have no idea who Audra McDonald is even though they are watching her throughout the series. Telling them she’s starring in a new Broadway revival of GYPSY won’t bring any excitement in them to get tickets to see her in the show. This revival so far has her fans and the Broadway community excited. Sadly, we’re the minority in any tickets sales.
"

No way is Audra getting the TONY over Nicole. We saw SB last night and Nicole is simply breathtaking and gives a mesmerizing performance as Norma. The TONY is going to Nicole no matter how good Audra is in Gypsy!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1154Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 10/17/24 at 2:44am

I'm pretty sure the GYPSY ticket sales, at least for the first week - are stronger than what Sunset's were at this time. Sunset is doing well because word of mouth is igniting the box office on fire. Most of these seats weren't sold before performances started, but the train just is picking up and up. I don't believe that Nicole is a real 'draw' that would sell tickets to anything and anyone - I think it's the word of mouth from the strength of her performance and production. It's also a youthful attractive production that will appeal to a wide range of theatre goers. 

Gypsy has always been niche. I don't think the producers should be disappointed at the current advance. It's now up to the creative team and cast to put on a damn good show to convince those that are in the audience to tell their friends to see it too. 

If history repeats itself as it often seems to, I predict this show will be like one of the many other prestige runs with a very strong first 12-14 weeks and then softer sales to however it can last for (e.g. FOLLIES, WAR PAINT, COMPANY etc.).

The same kind of timeline that ONCE UPON A MATRESS has been mounted for on Broadway. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Latest Posts

Videos