News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4- Page 32

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#775BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 1:34am

It's over now, the sad single trumpet sound of midday...

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#776BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 8:43am

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/schadenfreude

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 5/11/23 at 08:43 AM

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#777BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 9:13am

Wow never saw this coming. Once the theatre loads out, the restaged phantom can move in!

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#778BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 9:30am

June 4th is roughly 3 weeks away. If this week's grosses is really bad, do you think the producers would close the show sooner or do you think the final closing date will be June 4th?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#779BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 9:36am

I’m assuming they’re hoping ticket sales will increase as people rush to see the show before it closes, as often happens in the final weeks of a run. The question of whether people will actually be enticed to spend money on this production even with a deadline is open, though. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

pablitonizer
#780BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 9:37am

Wick3 said: "June 4th is roughly 3 weeks away. If this week's grosses is really bad, do you think the producers would close the show sooner or do you think the final closing date will be June 4th?"

I actually see it the other way around. If grosses increase in the next 2 weeks, then I totally see them extending the run a few extra weeks. I believe they want to see how the general audience react to this closing announcement so perhaps that's the reason why they chose June 4th, still more than 3 weeks from today 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#781BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 10:00am

I don't think camp is as lucrative as people think it is right now also.

I think this could have success on Netflix as a wacky thing people stream, but people aren't shelling out hundreds for it. 

bholtzinger544
#782BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 10:54am

The cast has to be given notice they're closing, I believe it's 10 days or 2 weeks. I don't see the grosses getting worse than this last week. Most shows get a nice bump when people hear they are closing. And advance sales for this week look better then last week. 

chrishuyen
#783BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 11:51am

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "

I don't think camp is as lucrative as people think it is right now also.

I think this could have success on Netflix as a wacky thing people stream, but people aren't shelling out hundreds for it.
"

I think well done camp can bring people in (though idk about lucrative), like I'd say that's what's keeping & Juliet and Moulin Rouge afloat (not to mention Titanique).  Sure people like hearing the well known songs for Juliet/MR but they wouldn't be able to survive without people also enjoying the experience.

The issue is that Bad Cinderella is trying very hard to be camp but just doesn't know how to do it (outside of Carolee Carmello and Grace McLean)

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#784BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 12:02pm

Too bad.  Now I won't have the pleasure of not seeing this.  

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#785BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 12:04pm

chrishuyen said:

The issue is that Bad Cinderella is trying very hard to be camp but just doesn't know how to do it (outside of Carolee Carmello and Grace McLean)"

yes, this ---- the score here, as well as it's cast & crew, are the least of this show's issues.  I think in the hands of a better director, this show could have taken off and had a better run.

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup
Updated On: 5/11/23 at 12:04 PM

chrishuyen
#786BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 2:02pm

Yeah I think if there was ONE THING to be changed that would improve the show the most, it would be the director.  Obviously the book needs work too, but I think that a really strong director could've made it work as is.

tbh I'm curious if this board will turn against Back to the Future, which by all means is not a good show, but excellent as pure entertainment

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#787BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 2:06pm

First and foremost, it needed a different leading lady.

Leisie93
#788BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 3:08pm

Impeach2017 said: "Too bad. Now I won't have the pleasure of not seeing this."

Haha. Same!

Updated On: 5/11/23 at 03:08 PM

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#789BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 3:14pm

The book whiffs almost every dramatic opportunity, which makes for a really frustrating viewing experience, and I'm not sure if camp can overcome that. Diana was deeply stupid, but it was fast-moving and consistent, so even if the (audience-less) Netflix release was a deadly bomb, the bones were there. I'm not sure if anything besides a fairly drastic re-write would help this show.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#790BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 3:30pm

Better book, direction, and I think it needed a "wow" factor. Most all of ALW shows have been known for being big and having at least one wow set piece. 

BETTY22
#791BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/11/23 at 5:51pm

Why didn't it close this weekend?

Were producers hoping for a Phantom type rush on tickets - really!!!

ohjustjake
#792BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/12/23 at 11:08am

Has anyone seen this show this week? I'm thinking about grabbing a cheap ticket for the last row in the Mezz, and was wondering if they've been moving people forward because it's basically 75% empty up there right now for tonight's show.

JuneJune
#793BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/12/23 at 11:44am

bholtzinger544 said: "The cast has to be given notice they're closing, I believe it's 10 days or 2 weeks. I don't see the grosses getting worse than this last week. Most shows get a nice bump when people hear they are closing. And advance sales for this week look better then last week."

Is it? If I recall correctly, KPOP announced closing within 5 days, and I saw an actor or two on social media expressing that they only found out earlier that day (but not through social media thankfully). 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#794BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Closing June 4
Posted: 5/12/23 at 1:34pm

Shocked !  I am just shocked ! 

BETTY22
#795BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Closing June 4
Posted: 5/12/23 at 4:46pm

With this stop other ALW shows coming to Broadway or will he be fine.

Shows like this can END careers. 

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#796BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Closing June 4
Posted: 5/12/23 at 4:56pm

JuneJune said: "bholtzinger544 said: "The cast has to be given notice they're closing, I believe it's 10 days or 2 weeks. I don't see the grosses getting worse than this last week. Most shows get a nice bump when people hear they are closing. And advance sales for this week look better then last week."

Is it? If I recall correctly, KPOP announced closing within 5 days, and I saw an actor or two on social media expressing that they only found out earlier that day (but not through social media thankfully).
"

If I remember correctly, the cast has to be given severance if the closing is immediate. So if shows announces on a Monday that it will close Tuesday, the actors have to be paid for the entire week of performances, even though there were no performances Wednesday-Sunday. This was more relevant before the 90s when there were mega-flops that would just announce their immediate closing without much advanced notice.

As for the cast having to be notified, I don't believe that's an actual rule. But if you don't tell the cast first... that's tacky, disrespectful, and insulting, even if it is technically not necessary. As this thread has pointed out numerous times before, ALW productions do not have the best history parting ways with actors.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#797BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Closing June 4
Posted: 5/12/23 at 10:02pm

Linedy will be on for Cinderella on closing night, she just confirmed on her Instagram story. She will take the May 31 evening performance off instead. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 5/12/23 at 10:02 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#798BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Closing June 4
Posted: 5/12/23 at 10:40pm

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#799BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Closing June 4
Posted: 5/15/23 at 12:06pm

BETTY22 said: "With this stop other ALW shows coming to Broadway or will he be fine. Shows like this can END careers."

ALW runs his own production company, owns several West End theaters, and has made millions of dollars for producers and investors on both sides of the Atlantic, despite quite a few flops. I don't know if he has another musical in him, but if he does, I doubt he'll have any trouble bringing it to Broadway. (Personally I'd like to see him aim a little higher with his next show. Maybe he could return to the once-planned Master and Margarita adaptation.)

Videos