News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Radcliffe, Groff, and Mendez star in MERRILY - Reviews & News Thread- Page 5

Radcliffe, Groff, and Mendez star in MERRILY - Reviews & News Thread

AllThatJazz2
#100Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 6/30/22 at 6:02pm

Any updates on this? 

barneyschreibercpa2
#101Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 6/30/22 at 6:26pm

other than casting rumors, nothing official 

LexiGirl Profile Photo
LexiGirl
#102Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 6/30/22 at 8:05pm

I’ve been wondering when tickets might go on sale, too. I decided to go ahead and book flights and a hotel for a week in December, hoping that the casting notice dates are correct and that I will be able to get tickets for that week since I have a membership.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#103Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 6/30/22 at 8:18pm

Sing Street, which had pretty much the exact same dates, didn't go on sale until September.

LexiGirl Profile Photo
LexiGirl
#104Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 6/30/22 at 8:34pm

Thanks, Taffy! That helps in planning since I’m one of those people who buys tickets for everything way in advance.

AllThatJazz2
#105Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 6/30/22 at 9:40pm

Do non-members have any hope of tickets for this, or do they tend to be snapped up fairly quickly? Haven't seen a production here before. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#106Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 7/30/22 at 2:49pm

Any truth to this...

Jonathan Groff and Lindsay Mendez round out the Merrily We Roll Along NYTW revival which will transfer spring 2023 to The Hudson on Broadway

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Owen22
#107Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 7/30/22 at 2:59pm

It's excellent casting if it's true!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#108Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 7/30/22 at 4:00pm

Has there ever been an off-Broadway production that has a confirmed broadway run before performances start? I mean, given the names involved I get why they might secure a Broadway run but is there any reason to do this at NYTW beforehand?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#109Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 7/30/22 at 4:15pm

binau said: "is there any reason to do this at NYTW beforehand?"

IF in fact a Broadway transfer is already confirmed behind the scenes (which I'll believe when it's announced), my guess is that the purpose of the NYTW run is to build buzz, and a public impression of demand.

Merrily isn't a well-known property outside of a very niche group of cult Sondheim fans. And even within the theatre community, it has a spotty reputation. Radcliffe is still a big name, but it's not 2011 anymore, and he might not be able to recoup a Broadway musical that has limited mass appeal.

So they put it in a 200-seat "prestige" house, where it will be an extremely hot ticket. As people clamber for tickets, the buzz will build, and the production will pick up steam as a desirable commodity for both investors, and for a certain segment of the public.

Whether that segment of the public will be large enough remains to be seen, but regardless, that's the theoretical strategy at play.

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#110Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 7/30/22 at 4:39pm

This would be an incredible casting feat!

bear88
#111Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 7/30/22 at 6:18pm

My only thought, aside from the usual qualms about whether a Merrily revival on Broadway makes any sense (if that actually happens) is that Jonathan Groff is about as perfectly cast a Frank as anyone could possibly seek.

InTheKnowEvenIfYouDontBelieve
#112Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 7/30/22 at 10:25pm

Last I heard it was Groff+Mendez and it was indeed transferring to a Broadway house. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#113Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 8/17/22 at 2:02pm

Mendez and Groff confirmed. Previews begin November 21. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#114Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 8/17/22 at 2:09pm

WOW. What a great trio of very talented performers!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#115Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 8/17/22 at 2:09pm

Goddamnit this cast. September 21st is going to be a very happy day around here. Cannot WAIT! 

chrishuyen
#116Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 8/17/22 at 2:14pm

Does anyone know how much NYTW normally prices their musicals?  I expect this to be a somewhat hefty ticket but I just want to see if it would be financially better for me to buy a subscription (I'm vaguely interested in the rest of the season but not set on seeing everything)

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#117Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 8/17/22 at 2:15pm

The press release says that prices start at $145, but all seats for the first two previews are $25.

Updated On: 8/17/22 at 02:15 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#118Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 8/17/22 at 2:56pm

I hope they announce an extension/transfer soon-ish. Also glad this wasn’t pushed back a year, like some people were swearing it would be.

willep
#119Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 8/17/22 at 3:07pm

I honestly thought this casting was announced months ago.

hollebolle
#120Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 8/17/22 at 3:15pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I hope they announce an extension/transfer soon-ish."

The casting notice a while ago said 11/21-1/22. Of course that could have changed, but I wonder if that includes an extension. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#121Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 8/17/22 at 3:17pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I hope they announce an extension/transfer soon-ish. Also glad this wasn’t pushed back a year, like some people were swearing it would be."

Think this was always the timeline, it's the potential transfer that some were saying might be postponed a year, which kind of is weird since it will have lost all it's momentum. 

Hamilfan2
#122Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 8/17/22 at 3:22pm

RippedMan said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I hope they announce an extension/transfer soon-ish. Also glad this wasn’t pushed back a year, like some people were swearing it would be."

Think this was always the timeline, it's the potential transfer that some were saying might be postponed a year, which kind of is weird since it will have lost all it's momentum.
"

I get the impulse to push it back, especially since we already have 2 high profile Sondheim revivals this season.  But they really need to strike while they iron is hot, like Into the Woods did.  The reason why Into the Woods is doing as well as it is, is because they were able to capitalize on the hype from the off-Broadway run.  Imo it’s why Into the Woods has been a massive success and Company wasn’t, despite being equally strong productions (again imo).

Jarethan
#123Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 8/17/22 at 3:24pm

Unless this leads to a longer engagement, a lot of people are going to be very disappointed.  I would imagine that, if it gets good reviews (which it should, given that Friedman has previously directed acclaimed productions), it could transfer with Geoff and Mendez, even if Radcliffe is unable to extend.  I expect all three to be great in their roles.

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#124Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 8/17/22 at 3:31pm

I was already excited for this before this casting, and now I can't wait! Just trying to figure out when to plan a trip.

The last thing I saw at NYTW was Sing Street... I had tickets to Three Sisters, but we know how that worked out. I'm really looking forward to this season!

Videos